1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Coilover Preference?

1. Fox Racing

227 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Icon

291 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. King

341 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. ADS

49 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Jun 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Same. My BIL's Raptor is like riding on a cloud. I know a Taco isn't a Raptor though so hench my question
    That's my main reason. Downsouth builds a set of Kings that is perfect to the Dakar springs but I think Fox makes something like them stock that's way cheaper for the rear and the front I was just thinking about getting some 2.5" non-res ext length coilovers to go with my Camburg UCA's

2. Jun 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Kings(left) vs Icon(right)

:stirthepot: :D

3. Jun 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Hahaha. IDK about that! Like I said my BIL's Raptor rides unbelievable!

Edit; opps I thought you were saying Fox's on the right

Lord Helmet[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Just like to stir the pot :devil: You know how these debates go.... :deadhorse:

5. Jun 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I donno, always had the stereotype Kings are plush.

IMO Icons can be confusing at times. Props to Icon for trying to make a shock that does it all, I think a combo of spring rate, maybe a flutter stack, digressive yet a bit linear/progressive in the higher force regions etc is Icon trying to make a jack of all trades shock, but makes my ride confusing. Daily driving- over some bumps I expect a little harshness but it just floats over- cool! Then a similar bump further down the road and my fillings pops out. Don't get me wrong, props to Icon trying to brake the mold, to leave KISS and try to make a complex shock, but so far its making the ride a bit un-predicable just in that small transitional area where its deciding between tight road manners or off-road sponge mode, and unfortunately in a rocky dirt road part of an off road park, it was in 'punch em' in the kidneys' mode.

Both my Icons and the Raptor's foxes smoothed out at higher speeds- the couple that had the Raptor freaked out when I punched it (in the Raptor), and were pretty surprised that resulted in much better ride quality.

6. Jun 23, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Talking with Yotagurl I probably should have gone King. That said and having what I already have, will probably just pony up the $55 a side + un-install, install, shipping or driving to get the Icon's re-valved with their 'slow speed stack'. I think it would be pretty cool if Icon had a drop-down menu on their site, "street/regular" and "rough road/slow speed stack". Going to be another $300+ to get these where maybe Kings start off at as far as feedback/feel goes.

7. Jun 23, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    wheeliest

wheeliest ///////////////////

Member:
    First Name:
    Json
    TMPE AZ
    Vehicle:
    05-SWB-DCSB-4X4-V6-SR5-SPORT
    NO SWAYBAR, Spacer lift with dirty4's
    My goal is to get my tacoma to handle as smooth as a raptor down desert roads..

8. Jun 23, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    The kings will be smoother then the raptor down the desert roads ;)

9. Jun 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    When I bought my ext. travel Icons I sent them to DSM and had them re valved w/ their slow speed stack. Since the vendor I bought them from said they would be fine for the truck and set up I have. But they were generic off the shelf valving. They ride so much better now! GL! I'll have to add also, I got two vendors to price match & ended up paying $999.97 shipped to my front door. Which is a really great price.

10. Jun 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    I did some back and forth with some vendors- both vendors I dealt with were super hesitant on shock advice, I guess they have been burned before. What was frustrating is I wasn't asking generically "whats better", I was giving pretty specific ride character goals and they still handled it like a hot potato.

So the Icons came with generic valving at first, and you send them to DSM to be re-valved with specific tacoma 'slow speed stack'? Or they were Tacoma specific at first and this slow speed stack is generic, but feels great?

I wonder if these vendors are putting their personal flavor into these slow speed stacks or its a spec from Icon...

Also was mentioned Icon does not valve in-house anymore (started in Feb), I wonder why... One of my concerns is this guarantees vendors get a lot more rebuild business, this would drive vendors to recommend Icons for the simple fact its more service business down the road.

Coot83 likes this.
  11. Aug 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    Snookalook

Snookalook New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver Tacoma Tard off road
    About too.
    Hey guys I am new to the forum. I just paid my Tacoma off and now it's time to start customizing it! I work as a land man in West Texas and the oil field roads out here are horrible and it's a rough ride. I drive a lot of highway miles but the roads are terrible. I also guides hunts in the winter and I am at our ranch pretty often. I want a suspension that is the best for that. Price is not a issue, I want the best suspension for my situation. I want to be able to drive out to a oil well or drive around the ranch at 40 mph. The ranch roads are so so depends on how much rain we have had. So what do I go with icon stage 7 or fox or king. Everyone has said to add pump stops on to what ever I do. I go to northern nm or southern co often I don't go on trails but I do like to cruise around up there and camp. Any advice is appreciated.

12. Aug 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    stumbles

stumbles 1 eye

Member:
    First Name:
    bryan
    mesa
    Vehicle:
    2002 White Double Cab
    Just pick a color for which brand to go with. Then call Downsouth Motorsports and tell them how you will use the truck and they can get them valved for your use.

13. Aug 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    4x4yotaphan

4x4yotaphan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Exterior: King suspension w/compression adjusters Icon billet UCAs Icon 3 leaf expansion pack Timbren rear bump stops w/U bolt flip kit Wheeler’s Offroad front superbumps BFG KO2 285/70/R17 on SCS Ray 10 17” wheels w/black wheel lock lug nuts TRD Pro grill TRD Pro taillights TRD Pro skid plate Demello Offroad front bumper Smittybilt XRC 9.5 comp winch w/Factor 55 fairlead and Flatlink E RCI LCA skids Beast Fab rock sliders 4 Extreme LED 4” pods Baja Design Squadron SAE LED amber fog lights Relentless Fab bedrail mount w/KC Flex dual amber chase lights AVS vent visors Interior: TRD Pro shift knob OEM instrument switch panel conversion (from 3 to 5 slots) Taco Garage DMM with Scosche Magicmount Upgraded Kicker sound system Husky X-act floor liners Performance: Airaid cold air intake system Pedal Commander w/Bluetooth
    Go Kings with adjusters so you can dial down your compression to your liking. I've never had Icons on a Tacoma before but read some negative stuff from them and I just helped my buddy swap out his Icons for Kings on his Tundra and the difference was very noticeable. And Kings customer service is very personable and helpful. Good luck!

14. Aug 31, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Please describe the difference for those on the fence.

Tacomamike mike likes this.
  15. Aug 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Going from very firm setting to very soft plush ride setting. I have mine at a soft adjustment 6 for the streets then I'll crank it up to adjustment 16 for wheeling.

4x4yotaphan likes this.
  16. Aug 31, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    For those that didn't read anything in this thread. Pick your color, black or blue, stay away from Icons. If you want me to expand upon that, please read the thread.

Coot83 and NABeast like this.
  17. Aug 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
  18. Aug 31, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    :angrygirl:
    I've been contemplating the same question: icon vs. kings vs. fox. First question we should all answer is what you're going to go with the truck; what kind of terrain do you want to optimize for? No one shock set up will do everything well. ALL shocks set ups will have some sort of compromise. Don't look at the trophy trucks as examples. Those shocks are made of different materials. All three brands are made of comparable materials for OEM replacement, so it's unlikely that one shock will actually be better.

Look at enough threads on enough forums and you're going to find that somebody somewhere has even experienced the same issue that other brands have had (at least with the major players).

So I'll offer my shock purchase checklist:
    1. What color do you want? This, of course, is the most critical question. No one wants their shocks and other pretty upgrades to clash.
    2. Are any of the manufacturers close to you? There is something to be said for driving down the street to get help trouble shooting an issue and not having to ship a part for warranty work.
    3. What kind of driving do you do most? Again, valving matters. If you do a lot of towing or run a heavy truck, digressive valving might be for you.
    4. What kind of ride do you want most of the time? If you like a cushy ride and don't mind that stock shock wallowing, a softer set up or progressive shocks might be for you.
    5. Who is having the best deal when I'm making the purchase? Trust me, if you get a BIG freakin' discount on your shocks, you are more likely to love the ride.
    PS: Don't forget that it is virtually impossible for a manufacturer to design a shock that anticipates the specifics of every iteration of modified trucks. Consider that whatever you by might need fine tuning. Externally adjustable valving will go a long way, if you can pony up the extra dough.

19. Aug 31, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    4x4yotaphan

4x4yotaphan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Exterior: King suspension w/compression adjusters Icon billet UCAs Icon 3 leaf expansion pack Timbren rear bump stops w/U bolt flip kit Wheeler’s Offroad front superbumps BFG KO2 285/70/R17 on SCS Ray 10 17” wheels w/black wheel lock lug nuts TRD Pro grill TRD Pro taillights TRD Pro skid plate Demello Offroad front bumper Smittybilt XRC 9.5 comp winch w/Factor 55 fairlead and Flatlink E RCI LCA skids Beast Fab rock sliders 4 Extreme LED 4” pods Baja Design Squadron SAE LED amber fog lights Relentless Fab bedrail mount w/KC Flex dual amber chase lights AVS vent visors Interior: TRD Pro shift knob OEM instrument switch panel conversion (from 3 to 5 slots) Taco Garage DMM with Scosche Magicmount Upgraded Kicker sound system Husky X-act floor liners Performance: Airaid cold air intake system Pedal Commander w/Bluetooth
    Just like how some describe the way it's valved. Digressive vs progressive. Digressive Icons on his Tundra was a bit stiff for a daily driver and progressive Kings were way softer and comfortable. Offroad performance is debatable since it depends on your goal. Digressive gets softer after cycling through repeated bumps and I believe that's going over decent bumps when compressed often. Progressive will get stiffer when compressed. That's why I recommended Kings with adjusters so you can fine tune it for offroad and enjoy it on the road as well.

Here's a good description of on the road driving with Icon suspension installed on the driver side and Kings on the passenger side. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

20. Aug 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Don't forget spring rate comes into play. A lot of guys who complain about their shocks (regardless of brand) chose heavier springs ('cause that's what the cool kids are running) without having a heavy enough truck to justify the spring rate. Doesn't matter what shock, your truck will ride like a school bus if your springs are too heavy.

To Top