1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knee pain

Discussion in 'Health' started by pinktaco808, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Apr 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 [OP] Hot Steppa

Member:
    Any help with knee pain? Only left leg sore a lil. When I walked up a flight of stairs. Any help with recovery or what to do? I run everyday.

2. Apr 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    Stop running for a while. I have a knee brace and it helps a little bit. But I am 55 years old and crashed on motorcycles when I was younger. I now just write it off to my younger years and take life a little slower now. Good luck.

3. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:
    Ook

4. Apr 15, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Just saying your knee hurts doesn’t help anyone help you.

Knee pain in the patellar tendon while going up stairs could indicate patellar tendonitis, which can occur for any number of reasons from over use to an acute injury.

I recently did a stair climbing competition and developed the same pain (except mine is when I walk down steps).

My rule with injuries is I can stretch, ice, and modify my workouts and the pain improves then I keep working out.
    If the pain gets worse then I need to take some time off.
    If you do something that causes pain, stop and move to something else and then work back to what you were doing when it doesn’t hurt anymore

I will say this though, people who do the same thing everyday with no variation in their workouts will be extremely prone to injuries.

5. Apr 15, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    There is no magic elixer if resting or changing the form of exercise doesn't help. Sometimes swimming or biking are much better choices than running.

I've dislocated both a few times in the past, had a chip floating in one a few years ago and a lateral release performed to reduce the risk of dislocation.

Stairs (more down than up) can still be uncomfortable, and I quit pounding my joints with running long ago.

If your change of activity doesn't help, it's likely arthritic, which would require an MRI to prove. At that point, your choices really narrow, depending on the location, type and severity.

pinktaco808[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    pinktaco808

Member:
    Ok mahalo

7. Apr 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    When I was on active duty we had to "jog" at least 3 miles every other day on pavement...I think that messed my knees up. I take this supplement now and it helps. I also quit "jogging"
    [​IMG]

8. Apr 15, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:
    The pain went away?

wilcam47 likes this.
  9. Apr 15, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:
  10. Apr 15, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    bburv

bburv Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Double Cab 4x4
    Like @PackCon said, you need to be more specific if you're trying to get help. Last year I was getting ready for a triathlon and I had problems from what I believe is over training. I ran up the stairs of a 16 floor hotel (dumb idea in the first place) and all the sudden couldn't move my left leg. Had to do physical therapy and take about four months off of running before it felt better. At first I thought it was patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), but later on I was pretty sure it was IT Band Syndrome (ITBS). Lots of stretching, foam rolling, gradual increases in mileage, and strength training all seemed to really help me.

Also like @Clearwater Bill said, maybe change it up some. I was able to swim with zero pain that whole four months and could bike with almost no pain after about a week. Just take it easy and listen to what your body is telling you.

CableTec likes this.
  11. Apr 15, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    CableTec

CableTec Legend in my own mind

Member:
    J-ville and P-ville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    See sig.....
    Physical Therapist here; lots of experience with knee pain with myself as well as patients. Being specific as to where the pain is notwithstanding - there are lots of variables. Exercise intensity, variability, load on the joint progressively, etc.

Here's some tried and true recovery tips:

1. Ice is your friend - 20 mins 2x a day on the area
    2. Program your training to strengthen the VMO (Vastus Medialis - aka the "teardrop" shaped little muscle when you flex your quad and straighten out your knee. Lots of exercises online for that. This little muscle stabilizes your knee during loading along with the ligaments of the knee themselves.
    3. Train unilaterally, as in one leg at a time, to make sure you aren't imbalanced strength wise from one side of the body to the other, which always causes problems. Do lunges, isometric single leg wall squat holds, etc.
    4. Anti inflammatory protocols are a must - these run the gamut from meds (ibuprofen, etc, to nutrition. Plenty of ginger, cumerin, etc. Bottom line, a good anti inflammatory diet does wonders.) Lots of info on this online as well.
    5. Stretching is a must, along with myofascial release. Think foam rolling for the quads, patella mobilization, quad stretches, and don't forget the hip flexors as well as hamstrings and lastly, the IT band (iliotibial band that runs down the side of your leg on the outside). Again, online resources on how to stretch these areas.
    6. Make sure your knees track STRAIGHT when performing any movement. No knees hyper-extended way outside (bowlegged), inside (pigeon toe) or extended beyond the toes when squatting, lunging, etc.
    6. REST. If none of the above, helps; take time off running and high inpact work. Biking is great for rehab and joint strength but doesn't pound your joints into oblivion.
    7 Proper shoes for running. Get fitted professionally. 'Nuff said on this one.

Hope this helps!

stealthmode and TomTwo like this.
  12. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:
    I do that

Ride bike everyday to work mile
    Run 5k

Weekends run 5k and surf 3hrd

I have specific shoes.

Maybe gotta stretch more at the end of day?

Doing the Ice on the knees now.

13. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    I just had my MRI done after years of dealing with pain.
    Partial rupture of the ACL (possibly old injury)
    Cartilage defect at the weightbearing surfaces (2x2cm) and another one on the other side. Also neither side of my mensicus is attached to my knee in one way or another. Don't let the little pain add up, could get worse and end up like me.

4x4spiegel and DayTripper85 like this.
  14. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    Just run with your right leg for 6 weeks.

15. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    yeah, I can definitely tell when I quit taking it for a while. When I first started taking it, took a few days but I noticed it. Of course its not going to do much if you have major problems. Like my shoulder and back. but It helps my knees.

16. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    DayTripper85

DayTripper85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB Off Road
    The knees can be tricky beasts. Once tearing of the meniscus starts, or if you have some free floating cartilage in the joint it can speed up the damage to the rest of your meniscus or condyles. Ligaments are another part that can be injured and go unnoticed for years. Lots of injuries will also cause synovitus and that will seem to exacerbate the situation.

You received some sound advice above as it will help reduce synovitus, but in the end if it goes on and on, or if you have sudden sharp pains in the knee it may be time for a visit to your local Sports medicine Dr.. Take care of it sooner or later. A knee scope at 40 is much better than a total at 70.

Not bad for a Gunsmith from below the Mason Dixon line huh? (I was an Orthopaedic First Assist for several years before changing professions)

Advice from a therapist is sound advice.

17. Apr 16, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    pinktaco808

Member:
  18. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    Wyliecoyote

Wyliecoyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    los angeles california
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road tacoma access cab cement gray
    factory side step, didn't get a chance to do anything to it yet, haven't even got to put it in 4 wheel mode yet. Lame, but I work a lot.
    Does your knee make clicking noises when you walk? That would prob be associated with a tear on your meniscus. Anterior pain that feels like it is behind your knee cap could be anterior cruciate lig tear or sprain. I recommend seeing an orthopedic doc for some imaging and proper diagnosis. Unchecked you could make the injury worse. After you know the specifics of the injury, you will know if there is surgery needed, or what type of therapy is appropriate.

19. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:
    No clicking man

20. Apr 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    pinktaco808

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top