1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knocking on cold mornings

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Yotajoe01, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    Yotajoe01

Yotajoe01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Offroad
    stock
    I have been cranking it about ten-fifteen mins b4 i leave for work in the mornings. The knocking goes away quickly. I'm just tired of having to give it special attention. Luckily I live in Mississippi where its rarely cooler than 60 degrees between March and October. Like I said from the beginning, I just wish I knew how to solve the problem. I mean it's a Toyota, I'm not use to problems. :mad:
    Speaking of special treatment, a remote start would make it much more convenient to start in the am. Walking out in the garage in my bare feet when it 30 degrees is not my Idea of a good start to the day.
    Any ideas on a remote start system???

2. Mar 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    my 2000 2.7 does that on colder mornings.it used to scare the crap outta me when i first heard it (my girl drives the taco and didnt mention it to me when it started doing it) i upped the oil to 10w30 and the noise went away a bit. i have also read about it being a hairline crack in the header and when it gets warmed up, the metal expands and closes the crack. but it sound like its coming from the motor. it does go away though:p

3. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    yeah, to me it just sounds like you havent built enough oil pressure by the time you take off... remember that the colder it gets the thicker your oil will be, so as someone mentioned before just give it a few seconds or minutes to warm up and give your oil enough time to reach the top of your engine.... choosing a different oil may help speed the process up...
    if your truck does alot of short trips, that could be contributing to the severity over the years...

as retarded as it may sound i always let my engine in my 95 warm up for 10 to 30 minutes before taking off unless im in a hurry.... plus its like 20 degrees and im a sissy and want my truck toasty when i get in...lol

4. Mar 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM
    Patrick

Patrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    I Have an 09 4 cyl up in fairbanks alaska in dead winter it gets -50 to -60 I noticed the tick, but it goes away after a min or so. I have a block heater,oil pan heater on it. Its great I go out early morning -50 and my 4 cyl toyota starts right up like a champ. The dude in the ford is stuck turning it over 3 or 4 times before he gets a crank. The Tacoma's a good truck, I've always like them.

5. Jan 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    MMumau

MMumau Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salem OR
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 Reg Cab
    I'm having a simliar noise, was told it could be a worn timing chain, a problem in only 01's when the chain is cold it slaps agains a little flapper in the housing...

6. Nov 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    keebler94

keebler94 Member

Member:
    SW Virginia
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4X4
    I have an 01 Taco 4x4 xtra cab that I bought new. Its got 250,000 on it now. if its under 40 degrees and I start it and let it idle a minute it sounds like its gonna throw a rod when you take off. it sounds fine sitting there idling but just as soon as you give it gas it sounds awful! It sounds so bad there is no way you would take off in a hurry. If I let it warm up for ten minutes on those cold nights it is fine. It has been doing this for the past 5 years!:D
    I would like to get it fixed but at this point I dont know if it would be worth it.

7. Feb 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
  8. Feb 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    My 09" does this, and it only has 47k on it.

Some here have said it could be a cheap oil filter.

9. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    maykevin5

maykevin5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Carbondale Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    3 inch lift, stainless steps, JL/Focal audio sound system
    I just changed my oil a few days ago and used a toyota filter and the knock is a lot less noticeable. I had a mobile 1 filter on it when it sounded loud. The only reason I used the mobile 1 filter is because it was free with the mobile 1 oil. Just bought 4 toyota filters to keep on hand.

Products Discussed in

To Top