1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KRob32 2012 MGM DCLB Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by krob32, Aug 14, 2012.

1. May 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    krob32

krob32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Thanks!

2. May 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    I've read through this build a couple of times now and I appreciate the clean modest look of your truck. I pretty much no nothing when it comes to lift kits, etc. I hoping you could help me out.
    I recently bought this used 2010 DCLB 4x4. I'm assuming the wheels are stock. The tire size is 265 70/R17. Tires have good tread and it drives great highway but when I get it in the mountains there's just not enough room for those tires, especially slamming on deep washboard roads. I'm not looking to go high - just make some room (thinking 2" - 3"). I think I've settled on Toytec but would like to know what size lift and package would fit this size wheel/tire set up.
    Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. May 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Nice truck. Your rims are off an FJ Cruiser (mine too). It was one of the first rims I looked at before finally landing where I did. Our tires are virtually the same size and about as big as you can go without effecting mpg, possibly power, and still not need to trim. There are more opinions on lifts than anyone could sort through on TW. I went with the ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit for later options, it comes with virtually everything you need, and I couldn't afford King or Fox Kits at the time. The front coils are adjustable to any height by using spanner wrenches that come with the kit. You also get an additional leaf (add-a-leaf) to raise the rear and u-bolts, etc. Your truck probably has 3 springs. You can raise 1.5 or 2 inches depending on your choice of AAL. I really wanted a level truck, so the coils where optimal for me. I'm strongly considering adding my AAL although the DCLB Sport comes with 4 springs. I almost went with the OME Lift, but didn't want to take any chances on not being level. Many say this lift is a smoother ride and is cheaper than mine. If you go 2-3 inches you may want to add the price of aftermarket UCAs to ensure you can align the front. The cheapest option that many use is a set of 5100's, AAL, and UCAs to get lift. Considered but didn't want to chance not being level. Hope not too much info, but this is a difficult and costly topic. Look under the "Suspension and Lift" thread and you'll get a lot of info. OZ-T is about the most knowledgeable member on this subject on TW IMO, so his posts are worth reading.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. May 31, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    UCA's* ;)

Matt

5. May 31, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Yeah...... I shouldn't be posting that late. Thanks.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  6. Jun 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Got the GrillCraft with black mesh installed. Pretty easy install and the fit is great. Remove/install of grille and skid took longer than anything. I have a Land Cruiser Toyota emblem, but that has turned out to be an epic fail so far. Thinking about what to do next. It looks kind of plain to me at the moment, so pretty sure something else will go on the grille.

[​IMG]

7. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    What went wrong with the Land Cruiser emblem?

8. Jun 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    TRD emblem looks good!

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    You name it. I believe there is one more shot with it.

Thanks! Ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    ckeene9

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Thanks, just ordered one.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    Thanks Kelly ~

Yep - 3 leafs. I'd like to pull or load my quad in the bed so it sounds like another leaf would be best. Also sounds like the best way to insure a level truck is to go with adjustable springs in the front. Yikes..those UCAs aren't cheap! I'll check out the threads.

I've read several places folks talking about rake - what is rake?

Dean

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    The 5100's are adjustable, but not as easy as coilovers. UCAs are expensive. Light Racing makes some for a decent price. I got the ICONs because they are uni-ball; LR is not. Rake is when the truck is not level in the front or rear.

13. Jun 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    That makes sense. Thanks for your help!

14. Jun 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Glad to be of help.

15. Jun 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Added a TACOMA emblem to the GrillCraft. Used satin black to paint. Bought coupling nuts to extend the emblem off the grill. Used epoxy to secure the set. Eventually I'll need to work on the bolts behind the grill since they are so long.

[​IMG]

16. Jun 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    uncleART

uncleART Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    Looks really good. This was a good alternative to your other emblem.

17. Jun 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    ckeene9

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Any pictures of the bolt extensions? This was another option I was looking at. Or even the Toyota emblem off the tailgate.

18. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks. Just got the Land Cruiser emblem back today. I think it may be past the point of use at this point. LOL.

I actually like the 3D, kinda, look.
    [​IMG]

19. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    ckeene9

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Thanks, looks good. Might have to play around with some ideas this weekend.

20. Jun 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks. Interested to see how it holds up.

Products Discussed in

To Top