1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KRT's Alt. Locker Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Killer Red Taco, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco [OP] NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I finished up dbbd1 (toyotanation) alternative locker mod LINKY. I did this mod because I have hit the locker switch many times when I was driving, I really like having a safety, especially when my GF drives the truck. It only took about a 30 mins. I tested it and it positively locks. Here are my pics:
    My safety switch:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash indicators:
    2wd
    [​IMG]

4wd HI
    [​IMG]

4wd LO
    [​IMG]

I do have some issue's with locker mod. When I engage the locker in 2wd and switch to 4wd the truck thinks I am in 4 lo and won't engage 4wd. I have to unlock and kill the locker override then switch to 4 wd HI and lock back up. I can deal with this better than me hitting the locker switch and not knowing it.

Also this method the locker won't engage above 5 mph and it will more than likely throw a code if you drive faster the 30mph with it engaged. I shouldn't be doing this any ways. What works for me may not work for you.

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    Just curious, how did you accidentally keep hitting the locker switch in the stock locale?

It seems it's even more susceptible now as one would see it and thing, "hmmm, what does this do...let me find out".

For those that haven't done the mod, this is one of the best mods you can do to your truck! And it's pretty cheap to do as well

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco [OP] NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    You have to engage both the oem switch and my toggle for it lock, I hit when I go for the fog lights and when I wipe the dash down and any other of my retard times.

4. Jul 7, 2015 at 9:59 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    South of Birmingham
    Stawk
    Tried this method. Worked great. Drove for about a mile on dirt road then check engine light came one. Turned off ground switch and e locker button. Both Trac light and check engine light were on. Ripped the wire out reset code and am back to square 1 again.

To Top