1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

L.E.D. Vs.H.I.D.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mizzac, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dec 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Because honestly... these have got to be fairly cheap to make not? And Hans, I will shoot a video in a day or two here so you can see what I mean. They are bright as shit don't get me wrong, im just not fully satisfied win the warmup and have seen better in youtube videos for example.

2. Jan 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    TBK224

TBK224 ~THE LIGHT GUY~ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    Here are a few shots of the new D2 Dually light. I am trying to get some output shots for everyone right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jan 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    mizzac

mizzac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    Montana/CO
    Vehicle:
    Yota-less
    Stickers
    I saw these on the website, are they like mini fog lights? How would they compare to a set of hella 500? I couldnt find any photos of pictures of them running.

4. Jan 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    They are smaller than a fog light at 3"x3", and much brighter. These are also brighter than a set of halogen Hella lights. These are brand new and actually not even on the market yet, which is why you cant find much info on them. I am trying to get pictures of the light output right now. Hopefully Rigid will send them to me tomorrow.

5. Jan 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    3ks ftw, I turn off my heads when it's super shitty

6. Jan 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    the dually led is said to be equal to a 6" hid light

7. Jan 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    :)phantom-lighting - you get a 20% off discount if you are a Desert Rangers member. http://www.phantom-lighting.com/page..._vigilante.php
    Black Knight - They sponsor a lot of Racers in the Trophy Truck Class

Any one use these? The price is very tempting vs rigid and vision x.Is this one of the classic you get what you pay for things again:)

8. Jan 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    mizzac

mizzac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    Montana/CO
    Vehicle:
    Yota-less
    Stickers
    Better than a 6", even HID? I wanna see this.

9. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:14 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    One 35w hid puts out 3500 lums.:cool:

10. Jan 4, 2011 at 4:26 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    The problem with lumens is that they're not "standardized" like a candlepower unit, candela or other units of output. You can play with the numbers a little (is that 3500 lumens measured at the bulb, at the lens, at 10 meters away, etc). There are ANSI lumens (measured reproducibly), and lumens reported by manufacturers (who sometimes fiddle with measurements to report the optimal numbers). A lumen is the amount of light percieved by the eye (as a definition), and eyes are different, so what sort of "eye" is used as a standard?

Google "lumen" for more nitty-gritty, but the fact is, unless one single, reproducible method is used to measure and report lumens, it's kind of useless to compare one brand's lumen versus another. So, unless 2 companies report their numbers as "ANSI lumens" it's unlikely that you'll be able to compare them.

Finally, given that the human eye sees in a non-linear fashion, a difference of a few dozen or even hundred lumens many not be all that noticable. Check out Candlepowerforums.com for numerous examples of people saying "This 180 lumen flashlight is not as bright as my 120 lumen older light" or "Surefire's 60 lumen light is brighter than Brand X's 150 lumen light!"

11. Jan 4, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Good info.:thumbsup:Thanks.:cool: Most of the info i've seen so far on 35w hid's,they're
    rated at 3500 lums.

12. Jan 4, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    My 2 duallys (old version 1100 lumens each) are WAY brighter than the 35w hid on my supermoto

35w hid
    [​IMG]

Duallys! :eek:

[​IMG]

13. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Perfect! Thank you for pointing that out, you are exactly right. Lumens is not a very good way to compare lights as it can be measured in many different ways.

Awesome pics. The duallys light up things you can't even see in the first picture. Thanks for posting those.

14. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Great pictures. So you have 2 LED lights and are comparing it to 1 HID? Not sure I understand. Also, the LED in that picture looks to be mounted too high. That would surely blind oncoming cars. Finally, I drove with one 35W HID in my truck while I was waiting for a new ballast and it was DEFINITELY brighter than your HID picture.
    I'm not leaning one way or the other but I hate unfair comparisons. Not saying your pictures are not fair but I have lingering questions about it.

HID's do take about 5-7 seconds to fully "warm-up". But once on, they do not need to warm up again until they "cool-down". One poster said he doesn't flick them on/off on the highway because of the warm-up. This is incorrect. If they were on already, they will not have a "warm-up" period.

I absolutely LOVE my HID's but am interested in LED's. I know they are far more efficient. If they draw less battery, would that put less strain on the alternator? If so, wouldn't that help with MPG? I use LED's everywhere else on my truck (dome, license plate, bed lights), I should fully convert and use them up front too.

15. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    It's a completely fair comparison of the two. Someone said that one 35w hid puts out 3500 lumens yet my 2 duallys, only 2200 lumens combined, are much brighter than a single 35w hid. Those pictures are taken at exactly the same camera settings, so if you are saying your one hid is brighter in person than the picture I posted, then just imagine how much brighter the LEDs are in person.

This is the hid and the leds both on so you can see how much more light the leds put out
    [​IMG]

16. Jan 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    As stated before, lumens are not judged equally so I only go by performance. And 2 lights vs 1 light doesn't seem entirely fair.

But the bigger question in my mind is - are they mounted equally? My single 35w HID head shoots MUCH further than the one in your picture. Your's seems to be pointed too low. And the LED in question seems to be pointed too high...potentially blinding on-coming drivers.

Again, I'm not calling BS on you...just looking for clarification on the pictures.

17. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    It certainly does appear that the aim point isn't the same - maybe if all 3 lights were level'd and laser-aimed at a set point. However, I think these ARE good pics, if only b/c there are limited viewing opportunities!

18. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    just picked up a set of these:
    [​IMG]

From here:
    https://www.speedtechlights.com/

Not exactly lights, but they serve as dust lights and do pretty well from what I hear. I may pick up a set for the front

19. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    The leds are pointed as low as the brackets will allow. The headlight is aimed about an inch lower than the top of a trunk lid on a standard car, so as not to blind people. The bottom of the beams are lined up. Trust me the HID is very bright in person. I can't drive with the LEDs on in traffic because they spill too much light upward. They are definitely off road/backroad use only and not street friendly. Didn't you buy the flood leds krookz?

20. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Ok guys, I just got this picture from RI. It does a good job showing the difference between the old dually and the new D2. I will try and get some more for you soon, but this should give you a pretty good idea.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top