1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LA to Phoenix to Tucson and back - what to see along the way?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by clenkeit, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Aug 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Hello AZ TW'ers! I'm going to be heading out from the Los Angeles area late Friday or very early Saturday to pick up some parts near Phoenix and then possibly visit a friend down in Tucson before heading home on Sunday.

It's a short/quick trip so I don't have too much time to get too far off the main highway routes from LA-PHX-TUS. Or, if there are routes I can take in lieu of the highway that could be an option too.

I was hoping the locals may have some suggestions for:
    • Somewhere decent to camp. I figured I'd likely just try to find a random spot to dispersed camp for the night but am open to suggestions. Especially if there's anywhere logical to camp that may be a little cooler at night. If I leave late Fri then I'd likely sleep in the truck somewhere between Palm Springs and Blythe. Then who knows where Sat night.
    • Any routes I should take (or avoid) or any trails you'd suggest? My truck is almost stock, I'm a bit of a noob and will be solo so not looking for anything crazy. But it would be fun to explore back roads, see the sights that the AZ wilderness has to offer...etc

Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    tim67

tim67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 manual
    mild lift, Dick Cepek 255/85/16s on Konig Countersteers
    It's going to be hot at night the whole way to Phoenix. You might want to look for a spot by the river at the Arizona border. I'm not familiar with dispersed camping around there, bit there are plenty of people who go up to the Parker area by the river. Bring plenty of water.

East of Phoenix, Montana Mountain is a nice trail, that a stock truck would do fine on. If you go down to Tucson, the back way up Mount Lemmon is nice, too.

The Apache Trail goes through some beautiful scenery, too, but I don't know if it's open yet (due to roadwork).

06RedComa likes this.
  3. Aug 29, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    n6vmo

n6vmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR AT Super "Priviledged"
    Bilstein 6112, ICON UCAs, 5160, AAL, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks
    About 5 miles west of Quartzsite and on the south side of the 10. The place is called Dome Rock Campground. It is on BLM land so pick a spot and enjoy.

4. Sep 7, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    YotaGuy

YotaGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 O/R & Yota crawler
    Stuff n junk
    I would also recommend near the river... both sides of the river along side the beaches north or south of the i10 bridge is good spots.

Products Discussed in

To Top