1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lab/Pit Mix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tarheelfan_08, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    My pit was the best dog with kids!! My Aussie I have to put in the back yard or my room when people bring there young kids over. My pit was so tolerant and sweet to kids.

2. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
    I can chime in a little here as well. I have 3 bulldog breed dogs in my home, 1 being a pitbull mix at 1yr and a few months now, 1 being a full bred American bully at 6 months old, and the last one being a 9 week old full bred American Pit Bull Terrior.

Our first dog was the mix, we got her when she was 13 weeks old from a previous family. When we got her she did not like being around kids. She did not like being around other dogs as well. In the last year that we have had her, we have corrected a lot of her "issues", but she is still a dog based off fear aggression. If she is in a situation that she gets fearful she starts to become aggressive. This is where a good owner comes in and either keeps the dog away from these situations, or helps work the dog through it at the time. She is a very active dog, and loves being around our other animals, she just has a few issues that we keep an eye on.

Our 6 month old American Bully is the complete opposite of her. He is very open and welcoming to anyone or anything. His behavioral characteristics are fantastic, and is a well mannered dog. Loves the communication with other dogs at the park and loves people as well. We are working on conditioning him to be in wait pull competitions, as he will be a bulky dog, and is a fast learner.

Our last dog, is our 9 week old American Pit Bull Terrior, or APBT for short. He is a Boudreaux line dog, comes from Grand Champion descendants. At 9 weeks old you can already tell his bulldog instinct is there, and is going to be a outspoken dog. He loves chasing the cats, playing with our older and lot larger dogs, and is not fazed by them at all. Hes only 5 pounds right now, and shouldnt grow to be more than 45, but will be full muscle. He will be the type of dog that has the look of a "pit" everyone stereotypes. But unlike most others he is and will be trained to be the well mannered dog he should be.

All of our dogs are crate trained from the day we got them. I wouldnt have it any other way. The are taught time out early in there lives by using the crate, and we also feed them in their crate to keep food aggression to a minimum. They are in crates anytime we leave the house, and every night when we put the up to sleep. They also spend time in the crates during the day so they learn that they dont need to be out all day.

Here are some pics of my dogs, hope some of the info I wrote out will be helpful to you.

Athena 1yr 4months old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bowser 6 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Veyron, 9 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    If they are puppies, YOU can mold them into anything you want. Just be a good handler and a best friend they can ever want. Good luck!

4. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    you predicted it. you are an idiot! pit bulls are amazing animals and one of the most loyal and willing to please their owner dogs there is. this, in combination with being an extremely tough animal with the strongest jaws you could imagine, can be trained to be the best fighting dog. pit bulls are not aggressive, mean, untrustworthy, or anything of the sort. pits are not bad, mike vick is bad. people like him give an amazing dog a horrible reputation. responsible owners can help to restore the image and reputation of the breed.

to the OP, be sure the breed of dog fits with your family lifestyle. a lab.pit mx is going to be an active dog which requires regular exercise, training, mental stimulation, discipline, and affection. people have already recommended crate training and i agree completely, as well as early socialization with other animals, dogs cats etc.

5. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    they used to be called the nanny dog because of how good they are with children

here's mine at 18 months and 70lbs, he is believed to have dogo argentino in him as well
    [​IMG]

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    toy02ota

toy02ota Local TW dissenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Brownsville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Chevy Silverado
    I almost adopted a pit mix. It was actually pit/jack Russell terrier mix. (I know. I wondered how the hell that happened too! :eek:) But here he is. I called him bill. I kept him a few days. I just didn't know that I would have the time he needed.
    [​IMG]

Here is my pup I have now. 2 Year old Yellow lab. Muffin :)
    [​IMG]
    Y'all were talking ab crate training, I have her trained kinda like that. We have a pen for her outside. I can say "Muffin, kennel." and she will go to her pen and wait for me to come close the door. If I say "Heel" she will come sit on my right side. She is the best dog. I'll look at her and say "Wanna go?" and she will go get in the bed of my truck. haha

Products Discussed in

To Top