1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lack of Power

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacosoup89, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    low boy

low boy 4wd Toyota Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Xtra-cab
    lift, tires, wheels, some interior stuff
    not taking a new MAF sensor... I'm not sure on that one... but I just recently cleaned mine with MAF sensor cleaner and it worked great. it only takes a few minutes to do... just pop it out and spray it down, dry it off with some compressed air and re-install. so easy a cave man can do it. and let me tell you mine looked rough. you'll notice a difference immediately. hope this helps you out. I know what it's like I had the same problem you're having a couple weeks ago... turns out I had a bad ignition coil, bad plugs, and needed new plug wires. fixed me right up, and now my 1st gen has tons of power. I had the same symptoms and everything.

2. Jan 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    low boy

any pix or diagrams as to where its at?

I got 145k and will be in the garage for an oil change soon would like to do some other misc MX to the ole girl

3. Jan 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    tacosoup89

tacosoup89 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Carrollton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L PreRunner
    Yeah Ive cleaned my MAF but no my truck wouldn't accept the new one at all and I messed with it for a full day setting and resetting the engine computer. I do have a question about the plug wires you mentioned. On my 2.7 I don't see anything that resembles the traditional looking plug wire that is easily replaceable?? Would love to replace them though if it didn't look like such a job.

4. Jan 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    zoobio

zoobio New Member

Member:
    my 95 had the exact same symptoms and they went away after I changed my thermostat. Bogging down when trying to accelerate, it felt like a fuel problem, but only was an issue when the engine was cold and/or it was cold outside. I cleaned my mass airflow sensor but that didn't make any difference. Changed the coolant thermostat and that did the trick.

5. Jan 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    tacosoup89

Member:
    Carrollton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L PreRunner
    the coolant thermostat? That's interesting. Ill look into that sounds like an easy fix. Can anybody back that theory up?

6. May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    tacosoup89

Member:
    Carrollton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L PreRunner
    If anybody is interested I solved my bad accelertation problem after months of digging and searching. It was the O2 sensors and all that needed to be done was to clean them. I just took them out shot them with a little brake cleaner put them back in and reset the engine computer and the improvement was drastic. So if anybody out there has similar problems with there truck I highly recommend this simple fix that only takes about 15 minutes or you can do like I did and search for months fixing things that didn't really need fixing. Anyway thanks for all the help and suggestions.

7. May 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Thanx for getting back to us on the solution. Too bad it took so long to focus on the real culprits.

Products Discussed in

To Top