1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lag of speed on 2011

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by strangerbynight, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    strangerbynight

strangerbynight [OP] New Member

Member:
    winnipeg manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2011 4 door sport TRD
    navigation, bed hard cover keyless,
    Hi all members, i am new here, first of all, i want to say hi to everyone here, and sorry for my english, it's not my native language
    so ok here we go, i just bought a brand new 2011 Trd sport double cab 2weeks ago, it has 6 kms when i picked it up, it is now has 900 kms on it, i've notice when i did 60-70 kms or 40-45 m/h, the RPM only stay at about 1200-1300 and i can feel it is in a lower gear, feels like not much power, but if i press on the gas pedal harder then the RPM goes up and i can feel the power is there, only happen at this speed, is it part of toyota design for fuel economy?. also i get a little vibration at that speed, is this normal? this is my first truck but not my first toyota, i used to have a camry, sienna, corolla, they all smooth at any speed, this truck doesn't feel smooth at the mention speed, it just feels under gear, should i be concern? any advice or tips will be apreciated, thanks..

2. Jan 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    First off, Welcome!

The gearing is probably different than anything you are used to, that would be my guess. I'm don't know a whole lot about the automatic trans. in the Tacomas but my thoughts would be that if you are traveling at that speed, the trans. is going to find the highest gear it can shift into for better economy, but when you push down the peddle, you activate the kick down cable causing it to downshift one or two gears, but once you start to cruise at a constant speed, it's going to shift into overdrive to save on gas.

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    skywalker1000rr

skywalker1000rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 Sport
    I think that is about the speed the torque converter locks. So when it locks and you are in a high gear there is not much power at low speed. You can leave it in 4th gear if it bothers you, or like you said when you hit the gas it quickly downshifts and goes. It is by design, helps mileage, mine does it, no worries, enjoy the truck!!

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Firstly, the truck is new, and from what I've been told is that the transmission "adapts" or learns the driving habbits of its driver. So try giving it some time. 40-45MPH is when the truck goes into the O/D (overdrive) gear, 5th. There isn't much power there, if I'm going to pass someone, or if I really need to speed up, I push my gear selecctor into 4th and then back into D when I'm done.

To Top