1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LAMIN-X fog light yellow film mod ...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by OhioTaco68, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Jan 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Ok, I finally got off my ass and took a couple of pics. These were both taken at about 5:00 pm so there was still some daylight. The second one is darker because I used a flash. Sorry for the poor quality.

The color of the fogs with the factory halogens and the amber Lamin-X film is very close to the color of the DTRLs. I'm really particular about colors matching and it's close enough for me.

upload_2017-1-1_17-22-40.jpg

upload_2017-1-1_17-23-17.jpg

2. Jan 1, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Hey, I just ran across this:
    http://www.kchilites.com/vehicle/to...ed-g4-toyota-tacoma-led-fog-light-system.html

It turns out KC Hi LiTES makes a drop in replacement for the 2012-15 fog lights in white and amber. I'm waiting for more info to see how close the color might be to the DTRLs.

3. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    Taylor@KC HiLiTES

Taylor@KC HiLiTES Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    See build thread
    @o0oSHADOWo0o

I just saw this post too, so I figured I may as well put the pictures here too for comparison to help you all. Sorry I don't have any on the Tacomas! I'll have the same ambers on my 2010 within a month or so, but I'm not sure how the amber between the years will compare (plus I don't have DTRLs).

These are on Jeeps, but it's the same light just different mounting brackets. You'll see both the clear and amber versions and some direct comparisons. You can see all the photos on the link below, but I think I attached the most relevant ones.

http://www.kchilites.com/light-type...y-led-jeep-jk-fog-light-pair-pack-system.html

Amber on right:
    amber_fog_front_vehicle_view_2_e963e9ee10611ead29672ce69ee0fe762a7ca905.jpg
    amber_clear_direct_comparison_2_f2d1d294670b81c2977f16ec789b24c074ffbdd1.jpg

Amber only:
    amber_gravity_led_fog_light_2_7671ef5e4ccbcefa17bded90e13c1551463ffe3b.jpg

o0oSHADOWo0o likes this.
  4. Jan 1, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Thanks again. The 2012 -2015 Tacomas have amber turn signals which double as DTRLs on trucks equipped with them. I would be really interested to see how close the fogs match.

5. Jan 4, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 Black DCLB
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    Got my amber lamin-x installed on the fogs and I like the look. Now I just need a couple hundred more amber lights and my truck will be looking like @o0oSHADOWo0o lol

o0oSHADOWo0o likes this.
  6. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 [OP] John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Any pics so i can see how they look

7. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    I'll post a pic of the lights on later tonight.

I will take a daytime picture for you tomorrow; I like the look of the orange film on my black truck during the day.

At night when the lights are on, they are a little bit more yellow than I was expecting (I was expecting a darker amber color when lit). Maybe it's because it hasn't had time to cure yet

OhioTaco68[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    I was running white LEDs for the fog light bulbs when I first put the amber film on and the light was a bit more yellow than I wanted. When I switched back to the factory halogens, the color was much closer to the parking lights. I have towonder what a yellow bulb and the amber film would yield.

9. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Heres a pic with the lights on

When i just looked at them I noticed that the film is really cloudy and not clear like it was when I put it on. It is probably part of the curing process (I hope!)

10. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have the factory hallogens in mine. I'll update in a couple weeks if the color is affected by the curing

11. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    If you took the fog light assemblies off and the bulbs out, you might have introduced a little moisture to the inside. If so don't worry it should burn off eventually.

12. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I left the lights installed to apply the film; I just removed the little plastic bezels to make it easier. It was a rainy day but I brought the truck into the garage and dried the lights off before the install

13. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    My laminx has cleared up and seems to be curing good in the cold. No more cloudiness.

OhioTaco68[OP] and o0oSHADOWo0o like this.
  14. Jan 7, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I went out and played in the snow today and took some pics. You can see that my fog lights are now a pretty good match to the parking lights and dtrls 20170107_163837.jpg20170107_163824.jpg

o0oSHADOWo0o likes this.
  15. Jan 7, 2017 at 4:12 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Just a few LEDs...
    Very nice! What light bar do you have in the center and how close would you say the color is?

16. Jan 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, it's a rigid industries sr2 with amber leds. I think it's a pretty good match but I can't really look right at it to compare because it's like looking at the sun lol

o0oSHADOWo0o likes this.
  17. Jan 16, 2017 at 2:44 AM
    cekeel

cekeel Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    PC 6" w/ Kings, SCS w/ BFG A/T, ARB/All-Pro, N-Fab, Rotopax Magnaflow/AIRAID, ScanGauge/Pioneer, Wet Okole/WeatherTech
    Had the same thing happen to me on my ARB fog lights. Lamin-X replaced the film for free under warranty, but advised that I should only turn the lights on when driving so that the airflow could keep the lenses cool... easy enough to remove the 'burned' film and replace again, and I like the way it looks (lights on and off), so from now on I'll heed their advice. In fact, I put Lamin-X on my Denali fogs too...

18. Jan 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Good to know that they stand behind their product at least and took care of you. How long do they warranty the film for?

19. Jan 17, 2017 at 2:46 AM
    cekeel

cekeel Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    PC 6" w/ Kings, SCS w/ BFG A/T, ARB/All-Pro, N-Fab, Rotopax Magnaflow/AIRAID, ScanGauge/Pioneer, Wet Okole/WeatherTech
    IIRC, it's a lifetime warranty... the only critique I have of their stuff is that their headlight film was too difficult for me to put on the Tacoma. My patience gave up before the film gave in!

20. Jan 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    haha yea i can imagine! it was hard enough getting the film to go on the fog lights without bubbles; I wouldn't even want to attempt the headlights

Products Discussed in

To Top