1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lance Armstrong...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by chris4x4, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    as another married buddy of mine used to say...

"that, may just be worth giving up half my chit for" :D

2. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    Steroids once tested positive for chuck Norris :D

3. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    so true

4. Aug 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Whether you like Lance or hate him, if you're a fan of cycling, you should be pissed. He'd be the first TdF champion to lose his title without testing positive for any of the races he's losing his title for. And if you're a fan of sport you should be pissed because they go after Armstrong's titles, meanwhile a douchebag like Carl Lewis admits doping, continues to accuse others, and still keeps his gold medals. Problem is, Armstrong didn't play nice with the right people. The US will protect her "icons" (ie Flo-Jo), and burn those who she has no use for.

That being said, the UCI, US Cycling and everyone of authority disagrees, and says USADA downs't have authority. So what does Armstrong have to lose by walking away? Nothing. The haters are going to hate, the fans will support him, and those on the fence seem to either support him or disagree with how it is being handled. Armstrong doesn't poop without calculating every possible scenario. With the possible exception of his buddy College, every relationship and every move is a strategic one. This one is no different for Armstrong Inc. And I have no doubt his end game is more than just giving up to avoid the truth.

5. Aug 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    GLD01

GLD01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Toytec lift coils w/Bilstein 5100's; OME Dakars w/Bilstein 5100's; Camburg UCA's; Gray wire mod; Deck plate mod; Cooper Zeon LTZ 265/75 R16 tires
    Applying the old cliche, "Where there's smoke, there's fire," there is now a LOT of smoke in the peloton of the 90's and early 2000's when it comes to doping generally, and EPO specifically. It is fair to listen to the riders of that period when they say they were all doing whatever they could to gain the slightest of advantages. Colorado's pretty well known, I'd say, for its role in American pro cycling. It may not amount to a hill of beans for any of you, but I've heard 3rd hand anecdotes through cycling circles here from retired pros who live here that cycling during that time was dirty. Very dirty. "Dirty" as in you either doped, or you chose retirement and another profession. You didn't stand a chance in the peloton if you weren't putting yourself on that same playing field.

Then, to suggest that Lance, as just about the only clean racer, dominated the TdF for 7 years straight against what was arguably a VERY dirty peloton is a wild stretch. Add in his recovery from cancer immediately prior to that period of domination, and it becomes even harder to believe. He has far more frequently defended himself by stating "I never tested positive," and far, far less frequently with "I never doped/used PED's," etc. Those are two very different statements.

Read up a little bit on the administration and benefits of EPO usage, and its detectability through testing, and it becomes very clear that an athlete can take it, benefit from it, then stop taking it prior to an event or test, and stand a very strong chance of passing that test.

Although the USADA's jurisdiction may be questionable, I believe it's absolutely fair and justified to pursue this, given what we all know about the state of cycling during Lance's TdF reign. For me, the credibility of what he's done crumbles if it's proven that he cheated the rules of his chosen game. Sure, he appears to be doing lots of good now, but if he cheated in building the Livestrong/Armstrong name and empire, and in giving people a false perspective of what's possible through an honest battle, then it's all tainted. All of it. I'm perfectly OK with the USADA's pursuit.

I'm a road cyclist and I soured on Lance's story long ago. I'm one of few American cyclists that isn't a Lance fan. I refuse to believe that anyone could be so dominant while clean at a time when the sport was arguably its dirtiest. It just doesn't add up.

6. Aug 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I dunno, I saw the guy on tv (his teammate I think?) said he saw him injecting, if I was Lance I would'nt be so stupid as to inject in front of people or somewhere to be caught...the guy just seemed like he was lying he wall all jittery and blinking his eyes and crap on tv. And you know the teammates kinda like this cause now they can be the the spotlight and win, they are only there to help him win anyways.

Also some people inject stuff thats not illegal or banned then all the sudden it becomes banned one day....so if someone injects its not all malicious IMO.

7. Aug 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    walter

walter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Inyo Face, Ca
    Vehicle:
    chicks dig the longbed
    4x4,fox co's,fox rear,265/75/16
    Barry Bonds never failed a drug test. was he and his giant pumpkin head using? Lance and the overwhelming majority of the field were Dirty. bottom line he did not get caught so how can you take his medals?

8. Aug 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    the French hate us.

9. Aug 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    The playing field was level during his reign: everyone was cheating and if a pro wasn't, he had no chance of winning.
    I think Lance is a jerk and he was playing dirty just like the rest. He still trained hard and demonstrated more grit on the playing field than any other athlete in history and has done more good through his foundation work than another entity on the planet.
    In my mind he'll always be the benchmark for the ultimate racer and a hero. And if nothing else hopefully his career will serve as impetus to ensure cycling becomes and remains a drug free sport.

10. Aug 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  11. Aug 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    As mentioned, He had a huge lung capacity, and awsome Heart. Also, he had 1 nut. So, he could really pump the pedals, without any testicular interferance. I dont believe he doped.

12. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Sorry Chris, he did dope and be doped the best and smartest

13. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Did you see him?

14. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    GLD01

GLD01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Toytec lift coils w/Bilstein 5100's; OME Dakars w/Bilstein 5100's; Camburg UCA's; Gray wire mod; Deck plate mod; Cooper Zeon LTZ 265/75 R16 tires
    That's a great point. But it only happens if this investigation runs its full course and we find out he was guilty.

15. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    :(

16. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Yes, but in this case, it could have given him an advantage that the other riders didnt have

17. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    They'll never prove that beyond doubt due to lack of (+) tests....but like you mentioned on previous page, everyone knows he did. Would George, Levi, Tyler, Floyd (well maybe), etc. admit to seeing it if it wasnt true? Maybe so, but I do feel that this white flag is basically an admission of guilt, without actually officially saying it.
    Maybe I'm being hypocritical or contradictory but I feel like this is stating the obvious.

18. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Investigation implies strict rules and guidelines.....USADA has, like Lance stated, issued a witch hunt and even violated their own rules.

19. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    His nickname is Juan Pelota (pronounced One Pelota aka One Ball)
    I remember watching the tour one year and somebody had wrote on the tarmac "Rip their balls off Lance"

20. Aug 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
    Tyler and Floyd are the two pointing the fingers.

George and Levi are still riding today, and if US Postal/Discovery Squads were truly dirty then they would both be serving bans.

Products Discussed in

To Top