1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lasik eye appt this week

Discussion in 'Health' started by toyotadude5, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    :notsure:

:p

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    It did for my wife but only after a couple of months. She had the typical night driving problems until her eyes fully healed. Her sister also had the same issue with the sparkles and bursts at night. All cleared for both at around the second month.

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 [OP] Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    cool. now they have near perfect vision?

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    storktaylor

storktaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road
    Bak FLip G2 ScanGauge2 Black Labrador Retriever
    I had it done in Jan of 08, but I had PRK rather than Lasik. There is some evidence that the end result is a little more consistent with PRK (like 92% success vs 95%). The PRK recovery time is a week (vs. a day with LASIK), and it is an unpleasant week at that. Here are some things to remember:

1) You only have one set of eyes, so there is a possibility (albeit VERY, VERY small) that you could get worse.

2) Make sure that you are getting a procedure done with a wavefront guided LASIK machine. The link will explain it and why it is better. I had VISX, and the after-surgery picture of my cornea is a perfect sphere (i.e. ideal) It may cost a little more but see #1

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/custom_lasik.htm

3) Make sure that the flap is going to be cut with a laser rather than a blade (a video of the "saw" cutting the top of your eye should be enough to convince you that is a bad idea). See #1

4) These machines cost millions of $, and so I doctor needs to turn the crank to get a bunch of patients through the door to pay for it. Ask you doctor when was the last time his machine was upgraded and if there is an upgrade planned in the future that you may want to wait for. Make sure your doctor takes his time and that you are comfortable with him and what the plan is (again see #1).

I had 20/200 L and 20/100 R and now I am 20/12 L, 20/15 R and 20/10 combined both near and far. I cannot say how much of a life changing operation this is, I sometimes forget that I once wore and was completely dependent on glasses. Get comfortable with a doctor and get it done!!

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    JATaco

JATaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    I hate wearing glassas! Im going to do in 2010 sometime hopefully. Ask your fiances aunt to do a group buy lol.:p

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    Yes they both have perfect vision now. 20/15 each eye. Better than perfect 20/20.

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Had lasik about 3 years ago now. I am a machine parts inspector and got to the point I had to have glasses to see both up close as well as distance. Had glasses since I was 12. Well, lasik won't fix both problems but at least now I can drive and enjoy many activities without the glasses. Still need them for up close work but I can deal with it. Best decision I ever made. K:cool:

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:12 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    haha

9. Dec 31, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    well had my appt today. It went very well, they did all the tests, they put some numbing drops in my eyes and measuered, ( that was awesome) then they dialated my eyes, and i still cant see close up haha.

Anyways they said that i am a perfect candidate for the lasik surgery, soooooooo, i think im going to do it. The price per eye is $2000 dollars, but My gf's aunt is trying to see if she can bump it down to $1500 and eye, plus they have a no interest payment plan.

So im going to go for it!!!

10. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Yes. I had LASIK done 4 years ago. While I don't regret it, I do have night glare. Much worse in the rain, like you said. I never noticed the glare with my contacts.

The valium they gave for the surgery was great, but my eyes were really sensitive for two days. Watery and felt as if sand was in them. The pain wore off by day three.

My wife couldn't sleep well because she was worried I would rub my eyes at night and mess up my cornea. Every time I moved she was up and checking on me.

11. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    \
    are you overall happy that you had the surgery done tho?

12. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Definitely happy I got it done. No regrets. The night glare was only noticeable for a few months, because it was new. I'm used to it now and it's not too bothersome. It's not for sure side effect, but different eyes were react differently.

13. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    bakerla

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    To glarify my bad typing: It's not a for sure side effect, but different eyes will react differently.

14. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ya they said my pupils ( i think) are big so at night i might experience some glare.

15. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Slotback

Slotback Triple Option

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner
    Toyotadude, also follow the post op instructions of your surgeon to the "t".

I went through a lot of pre op "tests" and measurements to ensure that I was a good candidate.

I had LASIK done about 10 years ago. Money well spent for me.

Best of luck to you.

16. Dec 31, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    will do. they said i was perfect for it,

17. Jan 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    So i got approved for the credit card for the 18 months no interest. So that means i will be doing the surgery, probably in the next 3 weeks sometimes. They said i gotta go to phoenix on a Friday, do the surgery, stay the night then go back in the morning for a post op exam. Should be fun!!!

18. Jan 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I had Lasik about 4 years ago now. Best decision I ever made regarding my eyes. As to glare, yes I had night glare and rings in vision for a couple of weeks. Got better every day. No problems now. Surgery took about 20 minutes total from time I got into the chair till I got out. I could read the wall chart 20/20 immediately after surgery. Eyes irritated for a few days and it is important that you go home and rest the eyes after. Each time you get up the eyes will be better and after a few days of drops irritation will go away. It's kinda like getting a slight scratch or sand in the eyes. Just need to keep them closed.
    Best decision I ever made. Ken

19. Jan 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Go for it bro, I had it done in april of 09. I did all the tests and they said i was a good candidate, there only concern was the fact that i have big pupils. like 8mm or something. if your pupils are to big u could experience halo's at night because ur pupils are bigger than the area that they can treat with the laser. i did all the tests and made the appt., my surgeon came highly recommended by my family eye dr. who has been an eye dr. for like 40 years. the surgeon i went to wasnt cheap actually he was kinda high compared to some of these places that advertise on tv! but u only get one set of eyes and i felt comfortable with the surgeon i chose. he had like 55,000 successful surgeries b4 mine and was a very respected surgeon. anyways he gave me a rx for some eye drops that i had to get filled b4 the surgery and take with me. i went in the morning of the surgery and they did one last exam and told me that they were going to use the laser to cut my eye with because i didnt have alot of corneal tissue and the laser can cut ur flap alot thinner, in case u need another surgery down the road. i think they called it a zeemer flap. it does cost extra but i didnt mind actually i preferred it! after the exam they gave me a valium and had me sit in the lobby until it was my turn! like storktaylor said those machines are expensive and my surgeon has people in the operating room all day long. i sat there like ten minutes until the meds kicked in and they called me back layed me down on the table and got me positioned under the laser. they put in the devices that hold your eyes open and told me to look at the red light. then the dr. said "ok ten seconds of darkness" while the laser cut the flap. and his assistants were putting eye drops i my eyes. he peeled the flap back away from my cornea and told me again to look at the red light. u gotta stay still and focuse on the light and u here the laser making a weird noise and u can smell your eyes burning! it only lasts a few seconds and then they repeat on the other eye. i was only in the operating room like maybe ten minutes and i was done! he immediately gave me 2 pain pills i think they were lorcet or something, and on top of the valium i had jus taken 20 mins prior i was feelin pretty good!! they gave me a script for lorcet and some weird alien looking goggles and told me to go home and sleep and keep my eyes closed for 24 hrs. i had to put drops in my eyes and take 2 lorcets every 4 hrs for the first 24. my eyes did burn but the pain pills makes it bearable. i stayed pretty high for the first 24 and then the next morning I COULD SEE! i went from being legally blind with astigmatism to 20/20 with no astigmatism! i used to get horrible headaches because of the light sensitivity and now i dont! my eyes are still somewhat sensitive but i can wear all those cool sunglasses that i couldnt b4. i did have some glare at night for a few weeks but it all went away as my eyes healed. it will take a few months for your eyes to heal and u will have to use refresh eye drops for a while but it is waaay worth it to be able to jump outta bed in the morning and not have to bother with those contacts or glasses. now its like i never even wore glasses b4! i dont miss them a bit! i did the same thing as u with regards to the credit card with 0% interest and have already payed it off! all in all i would highly recommend it to anyone, there are some risks and u may still have to wear glasses someday. cause our eye sight naturally degrades as we get older. my dr. said after i reach around 45 i may have to wear reading glasses, but that is normal for anyboby. i hope this helps u get an idea of what ur looking at and i appoligize if it was too long, but if ur like me then i know ur pumped and nervous at the same time and you want to get as much info as u possibly can! Good luck and i hope every thing turns out as good for u as it did for me! let us know how it goes too!

20. Jan 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    The "correct vision anytime mod"

Been thinking about this myself

Products Discussed in

To Top