1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Latest NFL News

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JFKLives, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 TRD Sport Extra Value W/JBL
    FJ Team Trail Red on Black Wheels P265/75R16 BF Goodrich Tire, color match front emblum, debadged and Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
    If the season doesn't happen I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do but I promise there will be lots of bitching involved

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/football/04/06/nfl.lockout/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Hearing ends with no decision on NFL lockout dispute

St. Paul, Minnesota (CNN) -- The long, complicated legal road for NFL players and owners kicked off in a federal courtroom Wednesday, as both sides made their case for and against lifting a lockout that could delay the start of the football season.

At the conclusion of the hearing, Judge Susan Richard Nelson said she expected to make a decision in a couple of weeks.
    The lockout is the result of an ongoing dispute between the NFL owners and the players who failed to reach a collective-bargaining agreement last month.

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and seven other players have filed a lawsuit on behalf of other current and eligible NFL players against the league to halt the lockout, which could affect the start of the 2011-12 season scheduled for September 8.

They want a preliminary injunction to block the lockout. The players also want a future trial to determine if the NFL lockout is in violation of federal antitrust laws.

In his opening statement to the judge, the players' attorney James Quinn stressed the players face "irreparable harm" to their careers, income and health, if a preliminary injunction is not granted.

NFL attorney David Boies disagreed with that position.

"They say there is irreparable harm, we say there is not," Boies told the judge. "There are numerous factual disagreements between the parties."
    Nelson asked several times whether an evidentiary hearing is necessary to resolve the factual disputes. But Quinn said, among other things, that would only "delay" this process.

The players present in the courtroom were Vincent Jackson of the San Diego Chargers, Ben Leber and Brian Robison of the Minnesota Vikings, Mike Vrabel of the Kansas City Chiefs, draft-eligible Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller and retired NFL player Carl Eller.

On Monday, Nelson agreed to combine Brady v. National Football League with another class-action lawsuit, Eller v. NFL, filed in March by a group primarily made up of retired NFL players.

That second lawsuit is "potentially more threatening" because the plaintiffs in Eller v. NFL are not bargaining members of the NFL's players union, the National Football League Players Association, or NFLPA, and the NFL cannot argue that they engaged in bad faith during collective-bargaining discussions, according to SI.com's legal analyst Michael McCann.
    "The NFLPA may be removed from the picture in Eller v. NFL, a point which would take away a key defense the NFL enjoys in Brady v. NFL," McCann said.

Last month, negotiations between the NFL and players union aimed at preventing a work stoppage broke down. The union decertified itself. By giving up their collective-bargaining rights, the players could file individual antitrust suits against the league and the owners. That move set the stage for a lengthy legal battle with owners.
    At the time, the NFL accused the union of walking away from "a very good deal on the table."

If the players are locked out from playing in September, it would be the first NFL work stoppage since 1987, with months of labor and legal maneuvering for football fans already confused about how a $9 billion industry lacks enough money to satisfy everyone.

The heart of the issue between the players and the owners is how to divide the league's $9 billion in revenue.

Right now, NFL owners take $1 billion off the top of that revenue stream. After that, the players get about 60%.

The owners say that the current labor deal doesn't take into account the rising costs related to building stadiums and promoting the game. The players argue that the league has not sufficiently opened up its books to prove this point.

In addition, the owners also want to increase the season by two games, which some players are against because of the risk of injuries.
    While star players earn millions of dollars each year, the median NFL salary is $790,000 and the average career lasts about four years.
    A lockout also affects the league's employees: the receptionists, ticket salespeople and stadium workers. The New York Jets have announced that they will require all business-side employees to take a one-week unpaid leave each month during any lockout.

The lockout will not stop the NFL Draft, which will proceed as scheduled on April 28-30, the league said.

All other regular off-season activity would cease, threatening to delay or cancel the start of the new season.

The teams might approach the draft a bit differently in the midst of a lockout, according to Steve Politi, a sports columnist for The Star-Ledger in Newark, New Jersey.

"Teams might (pick) based on needs rather than the best players available, because who knows when they'll be able to address those needs on the free-agent market," Politi said.

It is possible for the NFL season to go forward with replacement players, but analyst McCann said that is not likely:
    "Practical and legal hurdles would make doing so extremely unlikely," he said.

But it's still a possibility.

"The NFL might argue that if NFL players won't accept the league's best CBA (collective-bargaining agreement) offer, the league has no choice but to resume games with other players who are willing to play," he added.

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    okie

okie Pick your poison

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    sr5 Tundra
    Get ready for.....

images_61e55d268ccc3297481fc9e8d2a722248f3a65d5.jpg

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I will join you on the bitching

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Bunch of rich dudes complaining about money. What's new?

5. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Whats the point and where is the jist of this post?

6. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    that football season may not happen and whats your point???

7. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    So you're saying I might be able to watch TV on a Sunday and Monday night without getting pissed because every channel will have some damned football game on? I won't have to hear about damned fantasy football at work all the time?

I don't see anything wrong with this!

8. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    What happens to people who just bought season tickets to their local team? Do they get refunds, partial refunds, or just sit and wish they hadn't bought them?

9. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    redrx8

redrx8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't see anything wrong with it, I'll be able to watch tv without football taking over the shows I want to watch. I play a lot of sports but don't watch any on tv, I would rather go play than watch. Imagine all the free time you will have if there is no football, you can actually go play some sports and be in better shape. And no high blood pressure when the team you like loses. Less junk food in you body, it's all good. Take up a hobbie, have fun. When there was a hockey lockout, I did so much more and the good part is that I don't watch it anymore. Those overpaid athletes don't impress me at all, give more money to the people that really make a difference in everybody's life like doctors, nurses, teachers not athletes that don't give a damn about you. Enough said.

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    ^^ If this happens maybe just maybe the Lions will make the palyoffs? :laugh:

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 TRD Sport Extra Value W/JBL
    FJ Team Trail Red on Black Wheels P265/75R16 BF Goodrich Tire, color match front emblum, debadged and Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
    Sounds like you're not a football fan in general, which is fine. However, for those of us that are - this stinks. I play a lot of sports as well, football included. I'm 33 years old and am in great shape with no health concerns at all. So, don't lump me into a stereotype you have constructed in your head.

I enjoy watching the NFL because they are the best in the world at this sport. No further comments can be made on the subject matter, it's a fact. End of story. Amazing plays and last minute comebacks are what makes the sport so great to watch. Every year I get better at reading plays and calling games. It's great. Cheering for an underdog team that I don't even follow sounds a lot more fun to me than a sitcom but it's a personal preference, not a narrow minded troll.

Products Discussed in

To Top