1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lawn Mowers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hobiecat111629, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Oct 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM
    308savage

308savage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    I've got the older version of this Sarlo. It was given to me by the previous owners of our house.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    X2 on this...Ethanol gas goes bad fast. Cars don't know because you burn it up so fast and the computer can adjust. I had major problems with my atv, mower, and weed whip until I figured this out. Now I only use ethanol free on everything but my vehicles. Never have any problems with small motors after that. My Honda Rubicon atv wouldn't start if the ethanol gas sat in it for a month. Switched gas and never failed me again.

3. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    123taco

123taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    14 SR5 AC 4X4
    Honda all the way! 13years old run it dry b4 winter.ED9927BA-1BDA-44B9-91EF-E494876CED73.jpg

Toyotacrawler and MattCowsmasher like this.
  4. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    I own a Lesco Commercial (I think they are, or were, owned by John Deere) 48" Hydraulic walk behind to do my yard:

[​IMG]

This is the front, and the back is about the same size. Pardon the shitty grass... we had some serious heat midway through the summer, and my grass kinda got fucked up because of that.
    [​IMG]

I used to cut grass on the weekend with my buddy, since he decided to start it up as a side business to make extra cash. I used to use an Exmark 52" Hydraulic walk behind, with the ergonomic controls... that thing was amazing!

95SLE, rtzx9r and MattCowsmasher like this.
  5. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    O3 Rubicon wrangler
    Frankenstein lift, warn winch, heavy rear bumper swing out
    I use 2 mowers one push husqavarna bought 5 years ago 2nd hand. Runs an cuts good give a tune up every season on both morwers. Riding is a 2005 JD L-100 also got used. It’s been beat left out to dry but never fails me Tune up every season as well. I run pump gas nearest no-ethanol pump is 50mi from me. Got that tape mod since the seat is coming apart won’t get rid of it.

40FB4742-6082-40BD-AF82-B3E020515B6B.jpg

Cativelense likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    cory02taco

cory02taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd super sport

You could replace it with a Stihl

:anonymous:

7. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    123taco

123taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    14 SR5 AC 4X4
    I have been running this stuff in my 2 strokes for a few years and washed my troubleds away! 4562DC89-8063-4A7E-9B02-1ED8A6FDBC92.jpg

95SLE and roadking1 like this.
  8. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    I'm a property manager/facilities engineer/title-of-the-day for a country club. Been on the job in excess of 30 years. Part of my responsibility is to purchase and oversee the use of mowers, and "outdoor power equipment". We have a little over 400 acres that is mowed every 3 days or less. So...Lots of equipment, many people using it, and a long history of various brands of mowers, weedeaters, etc...

Push mowers. Get a Honda engine. The rest is window dressing.

Weedeaters. One word. Stihl. Look at what you see contractors using that mow highway right-of-ways. Stihl or Jonesred. We have weedeaters that run 6 to 8 tanks of gas A DAY through them for 6 to 8 months a year, year after year. Buy cheap dept. store brands and replace often.....OR....Buy quality and keep trimming. We use pump gas and Stihl premix oil. Screw the $35 a gallon specialty gas. Waste of money pure and simple.

Bigger "ride on mowers". John Deere.

I mow 8 acres of lawn with a John Deere rider, a 17 year old Stihl straight shaft weedeater, and a Troy Built (Honda powered) push mower. Reliable.

9. Oct 4, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    Did it have a Honda engine?

10. Oct 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    I've had craftsman and toro personal pace and a bunch of of other brands and they were all junk over the years. I finally bought a Honda self propelled with the composite deck and it's the best mower I've ever had hands down. Sips gas, runs really quiet compared to most other brands and has double blades for a clean cut and no grass left behind in mulching mode.. As far as commercial mowers I'd buy a ferris and I've had great luck with a echo weed trimmer.

11. Oct 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    The reason you can use pump gas is because, like you said, you go through 6 to 8 tanks a day. Corn gas is fine when it is fresh and is used right away. For those of us who mow every other week and have a .25 acre yard that doesn't even use a half a tank of gas to mow, we have to use the good gas or things get funky fast. I don't recommend that premixed stuff just because the price is a ripoff compared to one gallon of gas with some 2 cycle oil.

And x1000 on the Stihl brand. Expensive up front but takes a beating. I would trade my Stihl chainsaw for nothing.

12. Oct 5, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    ralfnjan

ralfnjan Well-Known Member

Member:
    My best push mower ever...Husqvarna with Honda engine. The Stihl fall savings flyer is sitting beside me. I keep pushing it away because my Husqvarna 365 Special chainsaw is almost new (less than 10 years old). My last Husky lasted 16 years before the counter vibration mounts finally rotted away. Stihl weed trimmer has definitely changed me to Stihl for power equipment, chainsaw next. Probably in 2030 if this Husky saw matches the other in longevity.

OMG, I even had battery powered trimmer and push mower before. My reel type mower hangs in the tool shed as a tribute to my trying to be as green as possible. Can't mow every 3 days though.

Ralph's rules of mowing:
    1. Never cut before May
    2. Never cut more than once per week
    3. Never cut for more than 30 minutes at a time

Ralph

13. Oct 5, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Purchased this mower on Wednesday. Still keep my Toro Personal Pace 4 as a back up. 20181003_114644.jpg

Toro has a lesser quality version for $1000.

randd likes this.
  14. Oct 5, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Another vote for Toro.

15. Oct 5, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    Cativelense

Cativelense Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nuno
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Black 4x4 TRD Sport
    -TRD oil cap -TRD radiator cap -TRD shift knob -2015 Entune system with Nav, -OEM roof rack -Front windows tinted to match back (20%) -BPK Skid Plate -Non clock hazard switch assembly -WeatherTech floor mats -AFE Stage II Pro Dry Intake -AVS Vent Shades -AMP Research bed extender -Horn relocation mod -Bob's Mirror -Redline hood struts -UltraGauge MX 1.3 -Debadged -Reverse LEDs & shifter bezel LED -Black steering wheel controls, black shifter bezel, black AC vent panel -Black gauge cluster rings + black tweeter rings -Morimoto XB LED fog lights -Anzo tail lights -Hilux 4x4 lighted switch -Bed mat -Hondo Garage radio knobs -OKLED 20" light bar mounted on BAMF behind the grill mount -CH4X4 LED light bar switch w/add-a-fuse -nd4spdbh fog light anytime mod (HUGE thanks to @tgriff) -Debadged bed -Secondary air pump filter -Retros (Morimoto Mini H1's and Morimoto Panamera shrouds with dual intensity LED DRL's & 5000k bulbs) -Tailgate Anti-Theft Device by @scleaf -OEM TRD Sport 17" wheels painted black w/Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires (Winter wheels) -Pro Comp Extreme 17" wheels w/Firestone Destination LE2 tires (Spring/Summer/Fall wheels) -Anzo blacked out third break light -HomerTaco Tacoma Ghost Raptor Insert -Rear diff breather mod (HUGE thanks to @jc11taco89) -Fumoto Valve -LEER 100R -Salex center console and glove box organizers -Power Pop N Lock -Mobtown Tailgate Skin -TRD Pro suspension with HS Progressive AAL (overload leaf in) -ECGS replacement bearing -Dust caps on rear drums to match front -Me-So Customs "The Gasshole" -ACEkraut license plate bracket -mesojdm's 2nd Gen Ultimate LED Dome and Map lights -Seat spacers from olecoot -Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
    OH SNAP! Never seen an Exmark push mower before. WOW. I really like the Exmark Commercial walk behind mowers, so I'm sure the quality of that one is great as well.

16. Oct 5, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    Nice unit what did they hit you for that?Those are some nice ramps in the background.

17. Oct 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Honda HRX vote here, I even mix old gas in with new gas (only good way to get rid of it) and it runs fine. I mow about a half an acre. I had the lower-end Honda version with an aluminum deck and smaller engine, worked great for 10 years but the deck was warped. I have bermuda at the new house that needs to be mowed shorter and it was leaving funny lines. Only thing I ever replaced on it was wheels and a new blade occasionally.

18. Oct 5, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I had a Honda push mower with plastic type deck ..... and an ExMark 52" walk behind with the optional "self-steering-riding-seat sulky" that I loved. Both were great mowers.

The ExMark was a cool mower to ride-drive ... especially going around a tree fast on that "self-steering-riding-sulky-seat". :burnrubber: It was like riding the ... "Whip at the Carnival" ... :)

I think they quit making that "self-steering-sulky-riding-seat" because it was too fast and dangerous in the turns.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  19. Oct 5, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    FishnTx

FishnTx ⚓️rather be feeschin⚓️

Member:
    South East Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 OR
    BF7A79E9-EE0D-427E-BB85-F7B9FF795F24.jpg
    Put the mulch kit on Need to sharpin my blades pretty soon

20. Oct 6, 2018 at 1:56 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    $1899 before tax. The mower is a little heavy at 170 LBS. My son and I purchases it for his business. He is 19 and just getting started with doing lawn care and is mowing in the evenings and on weekends on his own. He has been doing yard work for the neighbors since he was around 13. Right now he works for a company that provides services for a healthy natural lawn and does other jobs when he is done for the day.

I got a decent deal on the ramps at harbor freight. List price was $139 marked down to $115 because it was an open box. They took 50% off at the register. Out the door the coat was $61.

FFBlack[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top