1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LCA Mod

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Vidman, May 22, 2010.

1. May 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    Vidman

Vidman [OP] Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    After lifting my truck and dealing with not so happy alignment numbers I decided to do something about it. Right now i have Camburg uniball UCA,s, I was stuck at 1.9 left pos caster and 2.0 right pos caster.....So not wanting to spend more money on different UCA,s i Modified the LCA,s. Now some of you might think it is not a good mod but it worked great for me..If you look at the back of the LCA, it needed to move out more towards the wheel to get more caster,but i was out of adjustment, so i removed the cams in the LCA and then you see that the cam rests in a pocket that is spot welded in 2 places. now there is a pocket on both sides of each pivot point. I only did the mod to the back pivot point. I drilled out the spot welds and removed the steel pockets. All 4 of them.I then took a rotary file in a dia grinder and hogged out the slot that is there for cams to work back and forth. The slot was about 5/8 ths wide, I made the slot about 1" wide. I ground the slot wider towards the wheel in 4 places, cleaned up the steel pockets, frame and moved the pockets over to where both slots line up and welded them all back on. So now i have just added more adjustment for my aligment. I never-seized all the hardware and put everything back together. Now the whole time i was doing this, I was at my friends 8 bay service garage. He lets me do pretty much what i want ..(very cool).Any way i gained 1 full degree in caster after the 1 hour mod. I did not take pictures while i was doing it because i didn,t have my camera with me but i took some after mod shots. you can see by the witness marks how much i moved the adjusters

P5220447.jpg
    P5220449.jpg

2. May 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Interesting aproach....Good job!

3. May 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    Vidman

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    I wish i had taken pics of the mod while i was doing all the cutting and grinding so everyone could see the whole process but it is really a simple thing to do.My biggest problem is that i am not afraid to start cutting and welding on my truck as long as it comes out the way i thought it would. and it worked out great:D:D:D

4. May 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Personally, I think you should run a bead the full length of the bracket. Do it in short runs, so as to not heat the metal too much. Some folks had the tabs bend, and a full bead could help reinforce them.

5. May 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Vidman

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    I did think about skip welding the whole piece but i thought if this does not work or if some weird thing happens i will kick myself . Now i have to grind off all the weld...I,m going to give it a month and see and if everything thing works out i will glue them on real good

6. May 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    good mod dude, really like it! wish i had the skills and the resources...

Products Discussed in

To Top