1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Spring TSB - A US 2008 Taco in Canada

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by colins, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    colins

colins [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok, so I bought my 2008 Tacoma in the US and brought it back to Canada. Keeners will recognize I have a 3-leaf Tacoma in a 4-leaf country.

I have about 65K miles on it at the moment, and I'm covered by the Platinum 7yr 100,000 mile extended certified warranty.

Here's my problem - my right rear leaf spring is busted, and although the dealer has confirmed it's covered by warranty and is ordering the replacement part for me, it's going to take 7-10 days to arrive (ground only!) and I'm worried that after the long wait I'm going to left with a Tacoma with a 4-leaf spring on the right and a 3-leaf on the left.

I tried explaining that the US TSB applies to this truck, and that I was worried the replacement part wouldn't match what was on my truck. I guess I didn't do a good enough job because at the end of the day the dealer is only ordering a single replacement spring for me.

The replacement part they have on order is 48210-04571. I've seen this referenced in many other threads as being the right rear leaf assembly installed as part of the TSB, so I'm assuming it's a 4-leaf spring. Previously this seemed to be part number 48210-04570, but I don't know when that changed. Also not sure if it's flip-flopped between being a 4-leaf setup vs. an enhanced beefed up 3-leaf configuration.

In any case, as a 2008 US Tacoma owner (my serial # is covered in the T-SB-0359-10 document), can someone tell me what the stock Rear Leaf spring part number is (my truck is stuck at the dealer)?

Also can someone with the 48210-04571 rear leaf assembly post a picture or point to an online picture (I tried google'ing to no avail) of this so I can walk into my dealer with better info to explain this thing??

I don't want to wait two weeks to learn they finally get what I was talking about! :confused:

Many thanks,

A US Taco owner in Newfoundland, Canada

Colin

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    48210-04571 is the number on my right leaf spring and it is the 4 leaf pack. That sucks they won't change the other leaf pack but maybe once they see its a mix and match they'll change it. Good luck.

3. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    How did you get the warrenty. Toyota hates it when they sell trucks to people bringing them to canada. I never got one, thought it was impossible :facepalm:

4. Aug 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canadians can buy official Toyota extended warranties after owning their vehicles for one year. Email Troy Dietrich at this web site:

http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

Just purchased one for my 09 and my wife's Corolla had an air conditioning problem that was fixed under US warranty without problems. The dealer just calls the US 1-800 number instead of the Canadian.

5. Aug 17, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    colins

colins [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought my Tacoma certified used from Acton Toyota. They sold the Platinum level warranty to me (7yr, 100,000 miles) when I bought it, and I was assured the warranty would be valid when I went back to Canada.

Update on my situation - I've opened a case with Toyota US, who has transferred all the details to Toyota Canada. I expect to hear back from Toyota Canada on it today. My CDN dealer can only see the CDN part (4-leaf 48210-04571) in his parts distribution system, and the warranty folks are only willing to cover the broken spring (which is the 3-leaf factory spring on my USA 08 Tacoma), even though I've told them this won't get me a vehicle that is road worthy.

Other options they have mentioned is for the CDN dealer to find a US dealer that can ship them the US (3-leaf) part. They put the onus back on me to pursue this with my local dealer. At this point, I've invested several hours on the phone between the warranty folks, Toyota USA, and the local dealer and have been without my truck for over a week already. I'm expecting Toyota CDN to step in and resolve this, as even in the best case scenario (two 4-leaf springs installed) I'm still going to be without my truck for 2 more weeks (leafs only ship ground and it's 7-10 business days for my local dealer to receive them).

Colin

6. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    KingMoo

KingMoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    -LIFT: 5100 bilsteins all around (set at 0.85 in front) eibach coils 2" AAL -D-RINGS -BED COVER rollaway
    I have a new 2011 Tacoma from the US.

I've been unsuccessful getting the Rear Spring TSB.

But it sounds like you're in a different boat...

7. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it all works out. The other option is to get the Canadian dealer to replace the broken one with the 4 leaf pack and then you would have to pay out of pocket for the other side to be changed to a 4 leaf pack. I know that would suck though and I don't know how much that would be because mine was done under warranty. Good luck.

8. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport

Take the truck to the states and get the work done there if you
    live somewhat close to the border. American dealerships can still
    provide your truck service as the warranty is north america based.

9. Aug 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    KingMoo

KingMoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    -LIFT: 5100 bilsteins all around (set at 0.85 in front) eibach coils 2" AAL -D-RINGS -BED COVER rollaway
    Will they order the parts without seeing the vehicle first? I am not near a border. I don't want to take it twice or take it once just to be rejected...

10. Aug 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Don't put too much effort into it , the 4 leaf pack sucks too .

If I were you , I would just get an AAL .

11. Aug 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I've brought back 2 Toyota's from the states now, both fully covered by any exisiting warranty (my Tacoma has extended warranty from the states which is covered here)

Well hope everything works out for you OP!

12. Aug 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    colins

colins [OP] Member

Member:
    I brought back two as well. The first was an '06 identical to the '08 I drive now. I had a fine trip back from Baltimore, got off the ferry from North Sydney NS to Newfoundland (Port Aux Basque) and procceeded to roll it in some bad weather just outside Stephenville. Total writeoff! I went back the following summer and picked up my current truck in Acton, MA.

So another update - after being ping-ponged between Toyota USA and Toyota Canada (eveyone appreciates the unique situation I seem to be in, but nobody is stepping up to fix it and I could be waiting another 7-10 business days to hear back from a Toyota Canada case manager) I called the Toyota EXTRACARE guys back today. Although I was told prior by one of their folks that the 2nd leaf would not be covered unless it was broken, and that my Canadian dealer would have to find the US 3-leaf part somewhere, this time they were more understanding. After a long time on hold, the guy I was speaking to came back to tell me that they would confirm with my local CDN dealer that the only part available was the 4-leaf part, and if that was the case, they are going to cover replacing both leafs with the CDN part.

So - for those keeping score:

2008 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Longbed
    67K miles, covered by 7yr 100,000 miles Platinum Extra Care Warranty
    It's been at my dealer since August 9th - advised not to drive it in the meantime.
    Today, August 17th, after a total of about 6-7 hours spent on the phone between the EXTRACARE folks, my local dealer, Toyota USA and Toyota Canada (at least 20 calls over the past 7 days), I'm hopeful that today a second leaf will be ordered (under warranty) today for my truck in addition to the one already on order to replace my busted rear right 3-leaf spring.

If that's the case, then 7-10 business days from now, the matching rear left spring will be installed and I'll be back on the road. Total downtime - estimated at 20 days!

My Extracare warranty will cover 5 days for a rental - I plan to take them up on that next week to soften the blow.

Colin

Products Discussed in

To Top