1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Springs Free Arch

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bryan 06Blue, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    Bryan 06Blue

Bryan 06Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    1" lift
    I just bought my first Tacoma and I discovered the passenger side leaf spring was broken. Does it matter if you put leaf springs with a 6" free arch on both sides when I replace them?

2. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Not sure what a 6" free arch is...

Where are you getting the springs?

3. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    Bryan 06Blue

Bryan 06Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    1" lift
    Rock Auto. They had driver's side with a 6" free arch and passenger side with a 5 3/4" free arch. The passenger side cost $175 to ship and the driver's side was only $25 to ship. I had to get something quick because I had a road trip planned and threw the driver's side on. Now I want to replace the passenger side, but I want to get the same brand and that shipping is outrageous. Can I just put the same one as the driver's side? When I was looking for one, I found several that were interchangeable. But, there were also several suppliers that designated sides and the passenger side was always more expensive.

4. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    The Tacoma has a condition commonly referred to as the "taco lean", because the gas tank driver and battery all sit on the same side of the truck that side of the truck, the driver's side, tends to sag lower than the passenger side, so the driver side gets replaced more frequently and often will have either a more aggressive arch or a higher spring rate, yes you can get a another driver side and put it on the passenger side but it may cause the passenger side to sit slightly higher You probably won't notice but if you're particular about that thing it might drive you crazy.

5. Sep 27, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    Bryan 06Blue

Bryan 06Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    1" lift
    That Taco Lean is exactly why I was thinking there was a 1/4" difference. Comically, my passenger side is sitting 1/4" higher right now. Should I not worry about replacing the passenger side right now? I have only had the truck 6 months, so I don't know when the last time they were replaced (if ever). I appreciate the info, you reaffirmed my thoughts on why there is a difference and I guess I could wait to find the passenger side for less shipping.

6. Sep 27, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah you'ed be fine having matching springs it just may have a lean.

What I personally would do (looks like you have a 2006 2nd gen) is look for some low mile 3rd gen take off springs 2016 or newer (they're the same dimensions I ran some for a while before I upgraded.) and then get an add a leaf from Headstrong off road and call it a day.

You should be able to find them for $200 or less locally.

I have a set if you are in Florida.

7. Sep 27, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    Bryan 06Blue

Bryan 06Blue [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma 4x4
    1" lift
    Thanks, Key-Rei! I'll look around and see what I can find. I'm in Utah, so they only what I could get yours is if I paid you to ship them. I'll see what I can find around here. I've had great luck finding parts. I'll be in touch, once I get it all figured out. Thanks again!

Key-Rei likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top