1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf springs with bilsteins?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by going grey, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    going grey

going grey [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey Metallic DCSB TRD OR
    My 2010 DCSB TRD Off road is my daily driver and spends 96% of the time on the road. My stock tires have reached the end of the road at 54k miles. I also have horrible squeaking from the rear which seems to be the leaf springs, that has been well described. I would like to upgrade to 5100's all around. I would also like to give the truck a couple inches of lift and level it out. I plan to continue to run 265's with new wheels in black.
    Because my leaf springs bottom out when i sit on the tailgate and squeak horribly, as well as the desire to add a couple of inches to the stance, what leaf pack should i look at? I am obviously out of warranty for the TSB springs at 54000 miles. Also, on Downsouth motorsports, there are 2 options for rear bilsteins- the 0-1.5" and 3+" lift. Which should I go with the leaf pack you suggest as i would be in a grey zone as far lift height. Thanks in advance

2. May 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    The rear shocks depend on your preference. As for TSB being out of warranty, that's untrue. Any dealer can perform any TSB regardless of mileage / year if they want to. Dakars & all pro leaf packs provide roughly 3" of rear lift (2.75 to be exact iirc) if you go this route and are set on bilsteins you'll need the rear shocks for 3" of rear lift.

3. May 31, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Damn messed up my bold tags :goingcrazy: sucks navigating on my phone.

4. May 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    My local dealer told me they do a couple a month, even trucks with 100k on the odometer. And did you fix my bold tag :spy: I'm kind of scared..

5. May 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    going grey

going grey [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey Metallic DCSB TRD OR
    Thanks for the info. I was going with bilsteins because once i described the use of my truck to the guy at dsm, he said going with fox/icon/etc would be like putting a ferrari engine in a daily station wagon. I respect that he wasn't trying to upsell me. I had saved up for a coil over setup, but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff- except the millions of opinions i have read here. If that setup is overkill in a daily driving truck that occasionally tows a boat or goes through some east Texas red clay mud holes, then saving some money is always cool. I will check with dealer about the TSB springs- I had read theTSB and it mentioned being limited by being under the warranty period, maybe my dealer is one of the cool ones.

6. May 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Didn't realize you are in tx. If you are around Houston (south) try Star Toyota off I-45, they are actually pretty good about TSB work.

7. May 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Yeah, good luck with that but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you have an extended warranty your chances would improve slightly. Dealerships don't like doing work for free and you would have to be a pretty good customer to get "goodwill" work. I would get airbags and see if there is a leaf spring shop in town that can install new pads to eliminate the squeaking.

8. May 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Yes I should have put the want in bold lol, most dealers are scum bags but there's a couple of good ones, just read google reviews.

To Top