1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf springs.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by michaelsdaddy02, May 26, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    michaelsdaddy02

michaelsdaddy02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab 4x4 3.8 SR5
    What parts do I need to change out my leaf springs? Never been done in the life of the truck.

2. May 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    53rdcard

53rdcard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black Tacoma SR5 4x4 3.4v6
    Do you want lift or stock height? I replaced mine about 2 months ago, i didnt want any lift. Here is what i got for the change out

All of my mounting hardware was very rusted, so i had to replace everything, bolts, springs, shackles, bushings for shackles, u-bolts, all of it, and i had to cut 100% of the old off the truck with a angle grinder and about 5 metal cutting blades.

These go on the front of the springs (closest to the cab) These go on the back of the springs, they include everything you need, including the bushings that go inside the frame spring mounts I cant remember the length of these that i ordered, but they also included everything i needed as for springs, i cant really help you much there as i got a set of new factory springs from someone on here at a amazing price. But i can say that if i had not gotten those springs, i would have ordered these
    http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/90-237hd.htm
    you will need 2 of them, one for each side

This also is not for the faint of heart, it takes time, you will need jack stands for the truck, and the rear axle, as well as something to support the drive shaft if you are stupid like me and remove the old springs on both sides before you add one back in. Better to do one side at a time, but you will still need to have jack stands for the axle. and i would go ahead and replace the shocks while you are that deep into it.

Matic likes this.
  3. May 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    I've done several of these. Since you are in NJ, be prepared to cut the eye bolts and U-bolts (rust never sleeps). It will save you time and aggravation over trying to save them. :sawzall:

I went with Wheeler's 5 leafs on the rear, OME 880's on the front, for a bit over factory height. It's a DD work truck, with a little off-road now and then. Nice ride.

4. May 27, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Going stock was thinking of a small lift but I'm happy to keep stock. I know it's going to be a pain to work on lol.

5. May 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks this is what I needed. I'm not a mechanic but got a little know how. But these helps greatly. Thanks

6. May 28, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Your welcome, one other thing, you will need to lower the axle to put the new springs back in once you remove the old ones,

This guy has a pretty good how to on it, the shackles are different, and the new ones are even more so, a tip, spray some silicon lube into the bushings, and into the frame holder the bushings go in, they will go in easy.

This guy used a cutting torch, i didnt have that and used metal cutting blades and a angle grinder, get plenty of blades you will need them, and as long as you have the hardware, you will be able to just cut off the old shackles as well, i had to. if you are VERY careful you can get the metal cutting blades between the spring and the frame mount, but be super careful doing that, you cut the frame mount, and your in bad shape, i couldnt cut off the bolts they were to rusted, i had to cut through them between the mount and spring.

Having 100% of everything you need to replace what is there, makes this a much easier job. I did try to remove the bolts the right way at first they wouldnt budge at all, when i went to just cutting them out, it took very little time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSFfFHNSe8

7. May 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Im holding off right now. Found a rust hole in my frame. So I'm emailing Toyota to see what they will do if anything before I buy anything.

8. May 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now

That's a bummer, but not unusual for your location. Hopefully, you are under the extended frame warranty. Was the truck undercoated back in the day by a dealer?

9. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yes. I just went to Toyota today. Got to wait till Monday for the service Manger to contact me back. So I'm hoping for good news

10. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i hope you get good news, when i did my springs, and the holes opened on my frame, i also tried, and had the same thing where i had to wait for a service manager, who told me that they couldnt do anything for me because the prior owner never took it for inspection and got it coated.

Now if yours had gone in for inspection prior to the cut off date, i cant remember when that was, then, you might get lucky, but if it wasnt, id start looking into alternative repairs, and see if you can find a place to do them, i had a heck of a time finding a body shop that would repair frame rust

11. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    My father in law bought the truck brand new. He took it in for the recall. When he passed I got the truck. But my back up plan is the have a patch welded there and my job. And then strip the whole frame and rust treat it and recoat it.

12. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    53rdcard

Member:
    Vehicle:
    you actually should be in good shape then, really hope you can get a frame, that would be awesome

13. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    michaelsdaddy02

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That what I am hoping .

Products Discussed in

To Top