1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leak from rear window

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by collinkp, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    collinkp

collinkp [OP] Member

Member:
    NM, TX, and MI
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    So it was raining today and I found out I now have a leak from my rear window. I tested it with the hose to make sure and it is coming from the window seal not the third brake light. I have an 08 DC but just hit 36,900 so I don't think they will cover it under the warranty. I will try calling the dealer on Monday maybe they will be feeling generous. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had this problem and how they fixed it. It is the rear slider window and is leaking onto the headliner then down the rear window to the seats. This sucks just when I was saving up for some mods. Thanks to any of you that have any ideas for a fix.

2. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Guess if the dealer won't make good, it should be easy enough to find replacement weather-stripping for it. Keep us posted on it.

3. Oct 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    doddmcco

doddmcco New Member

Member:
    AR
    Vehicle:
    09 DoubleCab 4x4
    I have an 09 double cab and have the same leak. Any solutions?

4. Oct 9, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    You should still be under warranty. Use it. Be firm and forceful if they do not snap to it. Toyota is trying to take the warranty very seriously, so you should not have any problem with this simple fix!!

5. Oct 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Be nice if they took the assembly seriously so the warranty wouldn't have to be fought about.

6. Oct 9, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    collinkp

collinkp [OP] Member

Member:
    NM, TX, and MI
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    What I did was go to a local auto glass shop. They took off the glass (two plastic clips in the top corners and two bolts in the bottom corners). The glass pretty much just fell out after that the urethane that was there was not holding it at all. They stripped the old urethane off and placed a new bead along the whole frame and set the window back in. Been about 2 weeks no leaking issues so far. I'm kinda pissed because the Toyota dealerships said the window must have been replaced before improperly and that's why it was leaking but from what I saw and the auto glass shop they said it was still factory sealed just poorly done. I was at 38K so the warrranty was up anyways. Cost about $75

7. Oct 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Like I said........

8. Oct 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    I had my back sliding window replaced with a solid one yesterday due to a faulty rubber seal in the sliding pane. When the window place was taking out the sliding window they broke one of the side panes. It was hilarious. Glad to hear it worked out.

9. Nov 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    jbell

jbell New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jodie
    Collin, just noticed my 08' tocoma has the same problem with 38000 on it.. will try the dealer first, but i'm sure they will give me the run around.. had the truck in the body shop 3 times to fix the same issue and couldn't get it right!!

10. Nov 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    collinkp

collinkp [OP] Member

Member:
    NM, TX, and MI
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hey sorry to hear that. I had mine fixed over a year ago and no problems yet so I hope it stays that way. It was a pain in the ass to get the window out but once that was done they just used some sealer(not sure what) and placed the window back in and like I said no issues. Hope it works out for you.

11. Nov 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    To OP are you sure water is coming from the middle window seal?

Ive herd of this problem but haven't actually seen it in person but i do believe there is a TSB on this. When i get to work ill try to find the bulletin and post it on here.

12. Nov 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    For those who are interested in this TSB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jim1234, Half Caf and tomwil like this.
To Top