1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking diff, we keep your truck???

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by duf67, May 25, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    LiquidDragon

LiquidDragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Williamsburg, Va but now in the Philippines
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Hilux Conquest 4x2
    none yet
    If the vehicle is deemed unsafe in Virginia then the lemon law in Virginia states they must buy it back. If they take it more than 30 days they MUST give you the option to take back the vehicle under the magnuson moss warranty act the federal lemon law. For those of you looking for a way to get out of your Tacoma this might be an option for you to do so. I love my truck so I am gonna wait till I know they have the parts available and can do the repairs immediately before I take it in.

Copied from the Virginia lemon law

“Nonconformity” means a failure to conform with a warranty, a defect or a condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of a motor vehicle.

“Serious safety defect” means a life-threatening malfunction or nonconformity that impedes the consumer’s ability to control or operate the new motor vehicle for ordinary use or reasonable intended purposes or creates a risk of fire or explosion.

“Significant impairment” means to render the new motor vehicle unfit, unreliable or unsafe for ordinary use or reasonable intended purposes.

3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters.

2. May 26, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    get_nick

get_nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Limited
    I just sold my 2016 Limited yesterday using the KBB instant cash offer. I got $300 less than I would have taken from a private buyer, so I was happy to unload it. I don't know if I'm paranoid, the truck was bad, or what, but the drivetrain never felt quite right to me. I did the transmission TSB and my truck VIN was part of the recall and just wasn't comfortable with it. I was planning to get a 2017 anyway, this just expedited the process. If that feels like shit, I don't know what I'll do.

Riding Dirty and tomwil like this.
  3. May 26, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune

Service Manager at Haley mentioned none of that, they were happy to take it
    and give me a loaner for months.... I declined, said call me when the parts are in.

4. May 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    xlucidx

xlucidx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DBCB SB
    Just curious if the recall link on the Toyota website is accurate for showing vehicles that are recalled or not.

I put in my Vin but said there were no recalls for my truck. 2017 DCSB OR.
    I looked at my diff a few weeks ago when I first heard about it but didnt really see anything going on.

On the weekends it stays parked in a garage for 2-3 days strait and theres no oil on the floor.

5. May 26, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    My feeling on rentals.
    If I rent it, then its on me and I need to treat it well. If I am given a loaner due to a yota issue not of my doing, then I am treating the rental like I would me own, as its not my fault.

If my truck was required to be pulled from the road, I would take another taco rental, take lots of photos of mine and start the clock. Verify my states lemon law and activate it. I like my truck and have no need to get rid of it, but if Toyota is putting me in a place I can get a new one, then why not?

@duf67 someone on here torqued their bolts to the 18 lbs and broke one, just be aware.

6. May 26, 2017 at 7:15 AM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    i wouldn't mind picking up one of these refurbished buybacks at a nice discount.

As to the dealer keeping your truck and giving you a loaner I see that as good customer service.

Anything that happens to your truck on their lot while in their possession is insured by the dealer.

You can always ask the dealer to tow your vehicle back to your garage, but they might not be inclined to offer you a loaner.

Spare Parts likes this.
  7. May 26, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Good luck trying that:

[​IMG]

asuchemist likes this.
  8. May 26, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    4Runner. :D

OP, I would ask the dealer to let you drive the truck home, park it until recall parts are in and drive the rental/loaner truck until yours is fixed. That would free up space on their lot and you can keep your truck protected until it gets fixed. If you get a loaner truck, at least you could still work albeit more carefully than with yours.

asuchemist and busticator like this.
  9. May 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    duf67

duf67 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD Sport
    Oh shit. How in the world can 18 foot pounds of torque break a bolt?

10. May 26, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    Hiluxski

Hiluxski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura California
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lime green TRD Pro
    It will get warrantied if he plays it cool and dumb. Toyota would have to prove he did it and it wasn't done maybe during the predelivery inspection or some other time before he got it. It's a five dollar fix for Toyota on a recalled part that just happens to be leaking in the same area of the problem that they're having. It's much safer , cheaper and easier for Toyota to just fix this.
    Now, if the truck has full suspension lift with gears and lots of modifications ,that could be a problem.
    But if the truck is basically stock, you take it to the dealer because you got a recall letter the service manager comes up and says hey we can't recall fix this it's got a broken bolt and it's leaking in the exact area where we were told to look for leaks and loose bolts. The customer says I have no idea what you're talking about I just brought in for the warranty. It would be a very big move for Toyota to say No and send him on his way.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Thunder Fist likes this.
  11. May 26, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Let them take your truck and use the rental. It was their idea.

TheCookieMonster and Spare Parts like this.
  12. May 26, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    unclebert

unclebert Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 MGM
  13. May 26, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    Simpleton

Simpleton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSBOR
    None as of yet
    They larger axles on the OR, Pro, and MT are not being recalled. But crawl under and check for sweating and get that taken care of at your convenience under regular warranty

14. May 26, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 / 01 4x4 V6 Extra Cab TRD SR5
    Mine stays in the garage when it's at the house, no way I'm leaving unprotected on their lot. We've had two separate hail storms come through with golf ball size hail.....would love to use their rental truck and not put mileage on mine but would be pissed if it was damaged.

08sprsnke likes this.
  15. May 26, 2017 at 11:13 PM
    Tmoore70

Tmoore70 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport dcsb loaded mgm
    I took the loaner for a week while I talked to corporate. I told them I wasn't signing a waiver or anything like it there gonna be responsible. As for taking a loaner I said I would be fine if they give me another Tacoma or 4Runner as the Camry they gave me wouldn't fare well going back on the farm. I ended up picking my truck up and didn't sign anything just checking my fluid once a week.

TheCookieMonster likes this.
  16. May 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM
    zackst

zackst Well-Known Member

Member:
  17. May 28, 2017 at 5:28 AM
    Mickeyman

Mickeyman YAR!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mick
    New Hampsha
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport access cab 4x4 auto
    Black tube steps,mud flaps, fluid filmed tonneau cover,jbl speakers heated leather seat covers,bed mat,husky floor liners
    image.jpg There fixing mine along with the rear diff howl!

Spare Parts likes this.
  18. May 28, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Had a buddy stop by an appartment I was sharing with a few others. He ran through the door grabbed a few cups of water, ran out dumped them under the hood. Came back in grabbed a roll of duct tape, used it on some shit under the hood, returned the tape and drove away. I don't remember much from those days, but I will never forget that moment.

Thunder Fist likes this.
  19. May 28, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Does a recall even legally exist, prior to official notification?

20. May 28, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    zackst

zackst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Basically, I don't know for sure but from following these threads for the past few weeks, it looks like:

1. If your rear diff is seeping/leaking and your VIN is on the recall list, they are holding your truck until further notice.

2. If your rear diff is seeping/leaking and your VIN is NOT on the recall list, they are replacing the gasket and re torquing the bolts (i.e. fixing it) on the spot under warranty and sending you on your way.

3. Some on TW have wondered or predicted the recall will extend to more Tacoma '16 and '17 models in the future, based on a number of Tacomas not on the recall list but showing seeping.

As of now, NOT being on the recall list seems to be an advantage since you are not at risk for having your truck confiscated if you bring it in to have it checked out.

It sounds like you are sitting pretty right now because you do not see any seeping (refer to all the photos posted on TW of seeping for examples) and you are not on the recall list. I would just wait until all this mess settles and enjoy your truck for now.

Products Discussed in

To Top