1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking Sunroof/Moonroof

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Greensummits, Mar 25, 2020.

1. May 24, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    Mr.Pink Taco

Mr.Pink Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Black
    Minor stuff.
    Happened in my Taurus. Was told it’s normal. Would only happen in a really heavy rain. Only found it because one day I noticed the A pillar on the drivers side was getting wet every steady rainfall. Went nuts looking for the source of the leak. Found the drain tracks and the drain, took my air house and blew air down the drain. A bunch of muck came out and that fixed the problem. In 10 years that was the only time I ever had that problem. So every time I changed the oil, I’d blow out the drain holes with air just to make sure they were clear.

Caliph420 likes this.
  2. May 24, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    Caliph420

Caliph420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 2.7 AC 4x4 Manual
    [​IMG]

Bleep100, Boghog1 and BillsSR5 like this.
  3. May 24, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    TRD Ted

TRD Ted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I haven’t checked mine but I’m not surprised. I’m not crazy about sunroofs anyway and I rarely use it but it came with the truck. I’ve actually been thinking about pulling the fuse and just having a vinyl wrap installed on the roof over top or it so I can install a roof rack. I had a similar problem with the door handle seal. A few days after I bought it the door lock was malfunctioning. They opened the door and found water. Long story short after two weeks they said water pouring in was normal and gave me $1,000 for my trouble. The door lock malfunctioning was just a coincidence.

4. May 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    USMCGRUNT

USMCGRUNT Active Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro - Mag Gray
    It was raining fairly hard the last two days and it was just a slow drip into the tray. They did show me that it was the same with the other vehicles as well as the loaner vehicle they gave me. When I came out yesterday to drive back, the same thing was going on with that one.

This just blows my mind that Toyota says it’s normal to pretty much rain inside your vehicle. I would hate if I lived in Washington.

This will be like their old suspensions that rusted and turn into a lawsuit one day.

5. May 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    USMCGRUNT

USMCGRUNT Active Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro - Mag Gray
    Also, my first ever sunroof. I will never use the thing and wish they didn’t have them.

G8R_Taco and Mickeydog like this.
  6. May 24, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR DCSB Fully Loaded
    Don't have much to add here but my OR doesn't do this. I have had many vehicles with sunroofs. Probably 10 or more. Most of which were Toyotas and the oldest being 1987. Never had one leak or fail to operate properly. I do think that OPs is defective.

enforcertaco91 likes this.
  7. May 24, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    USMCGRUNT

USMCGRUNT Active Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro - Mag Gray
    I agree it shouldn’t do this, but I saw three Toyota’s do the same exact thing. And four being mine. This doesn’t mean I’m just going to accept that with a $50k vehicle.

Quicksander17 likes this.
  8. May 24, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    If water isn't pouring in on the seats or dash then I don't see what the problem is. Glass and metal are going to expand and contract at different rates, the drain tray and tubes are there for when water does go past the seal.

9. May 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    vecdran

vecdran Barely-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Super White 6MT
    Financial Black Hole
    I live in Washington and have parked my truck outside in torrential downpours for days on end. Not once did I find any sign of water or excessive humidity in the cab.
    The drains do their job, you don't need to worry about it.

RedWings44, TRDCal, Chew and 3 others like this.
  10. May 24, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    RPVTaco

RPVTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    They’re not all like that. I’ve had sunroofs on almost every car I’ve owned and none of them leaked like that. Granted in my 89’ 911 there is a tray where the water can run into and down into the drain tubes. I had one clogged and it causes water drips on my left foot. This is a brand new truck. I’ve got a 19’ Pro and it’s as water right as a ducks ass. What’s the temperature like outside during the rain where you live?

enforcertaco91 likes this.
  11. May 24, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Some of you will never believe that this is normal no matter what anyone says. But this is normal. It's not a black and white thing. It's on a spectrum. The amount of water that makes it pass the seal varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle. Some may have very little, some a bit more.

You have a large glass panel that has to tilt or slide back. There has to be a certain amount of give to the seal for this to occur. If not, it wouldn't open.

The water tray is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. That's the design....and Toyota has used this SAME design on all manner of models for many, many years. There are drain holes in the corner that carry the water in tubing and out of the vehicle.

You guys screaming that this is not right are completely wasting your time.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    RedWings44, kingjj, TRDCal and 5 others like this.
  12. May 24, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Yup.

In cold climates it's a good idea to keep the roof cleared of snow, the drain hoses on my Subaru froze one particularly cold February and that tray filled up and started pouring through the map lights.

Not a common occurrence I'm sure, but something to be aware of.

13. May 24, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    Ah. Moon roofs on utility trucks. It’s like adding a charcuterie platter to a chainsaw.

14. May 24, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Charlie Marlow

Charlie Marlow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
  15. May 24, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    Glad my 2006 doesn’t have a sunroof.

stun gun likes this.
  16. May 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Taco #13, 2022 OR DCSB Cemint
    5100s, TE37s, Wildpeaks, Tint, Bedmat, LEDs
    Incorrect, you will see some water get past the seal, it's not going to be watertight/proof, but shouldn't be leaking or as visible to a large extent.

RedWings44, stun gun and shakerhood like this.
  17. May 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    I'm in the camp that it's for sure impossible to expect 100% watertight seals from a sunroof - but I really think it's too bad there's so many in defense of the dealerships/Toyota that the examples in this thread are normal and people are dealing with that kind of dripping from new vehicles

Super glad I dont have one

If I did and was stuck with it I'd be running a bead of clear silicone around the outside lip, pulling the fuse/unplug the switch, and ordering a roof rack!

USMCGRUNT likes this.
  18. May 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    TacoBuffet

TacoBuffet Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    Taco #13, 2022 OR DCSB Cemint
    5100s, TE37s, Wildpeaks, Tint, Bedmat, LEDs
    Agree and nothing is perfect, could be bad seal or install from factory, but they do leak as part of the design, just shouldn't be a ton. I wont blatantly defend Toyota, have had my fair share of nuances with my Tacomas over the years, but I have had 5 with moonroofs, in AZ, NJ, IL winter, monsoon, etc. none have had issues and Toyota has had moon roofs/sunroofs in vehicles for decades without issue. I do think its childish when people say "I'm glad I don't have one..." as if its some part that is more prone to failure than anything else on the truck.

RedWings44 likes this.
  19. May 24, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    TAZMINATOR

TAZMINATOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    If you aren't seeing any puddle of water in your floor or seat is not getting wet, then it's functioning fine since sunroof/moonroof have drain tray that goes to the pillar to drain the water out to the bottom. It was designed that way.

If you see the puddle of water on the floor or seat gets wet, then take it to the shop or dealer and have it fixed.

20. May 24, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    That's what I mean, I've had a couple Yotas with a sunroof, one almost 20 years old, without ANY leaking. I always made sure my 100 series drain lines were clear, IN CASE it leaked. If it monsooned and dripped, there was a system there engineered to direct water away from inside the cabin.

Color me childish for being glad I didn't assume what I did when I bought my Landcruiser and new 4Runner when I was Tacoma shopping: that if I got one with a sunroof, new, that I would be very lucky not to be dealing with what several others in this thread are.

It clearly is prone to failure -er, leaking, to various degrees.

Disclose this before purchase and see how many folks still want it, with confidence in the drainage system.

USMCGRUNT likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top