1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaky ARE truck caps?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by bwarnicke, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Mar 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    ackshen

ackshen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport DCSB 6MT
    Magnuson Supercharged, 6112/5160
    Anybody done anything to plug them? Duct tape?

2. Mar 13, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    asiantaco 253

asiantaco 253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma Inferno DCLB TRD Offroad
    Nope, I haven't tried duck tape yet either lol

3. Mar 13, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    Cold_Toad

Cold_Toad Well-Known Member

Member:
    I pulled both cubbies out and made little semi circle covers around the hinge openings and epoxied them. 100% waterproof cubbies.

There is a thread on here that shows a how to, think it's in the 2nd gen sections if you search for it.

4. Mar 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    stbear

stbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    New 2015 Leer cap. The dealer tried 3 times to seal it. Gave up and gave me my money back. Bought an ARE and they got it sealed good up in the front corner. Now after a year the one window is leaking a little. Things that shouldn't leak: Your roof, your tent your condom and the damn truck cap.

stonybrook, f86sabjf, Lfc17 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mar 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have an Undercover SE hardcover that has never leaked a drop ... even with hose pouring on it.

But was thinking about a LEER or ARE bed cap ... but will hold off and watch this thread ... had no idea that they leaked this much.

6. Mar 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    Rick1197

Rick1197 Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    I've had an ARE X-Series on my truck for 2 years now and its leaked from the rear window just above the 2 hinges ever since the day I got it and have talked with other owners who experienced leaks from the same exact spot. From what I've read the Z-Series don't have issues with leaks so I'm assuming the problem has to do with the painted framed door/seal they used on the X-Series.

Also just noticed looking at the website they don't even sell the X series anymore and none of the other caps are using the painted framed window the X-Series had... something has got to be defective with the design.

I know there is an ARE rep on this site, maybe they can chime in??

7. Mar 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

Nice generalization, my ARE CX has been on since late 2006/early 2007 (I can't recall exactly when I got it) without any shell issues (and I installed a Yakima track system myself). After it was installed I put a light under the truck and figured out where the gaps were and took care of them myself. I’ve been out of the country for almost two years now but my father still drives it for me on occasion and checks the back since there is camping gear stored back there- still no leaks. Before I left the only issue I was starting to have was the weak POS Toyota bedsides starting to spread. This was causing there to be less of the window seal on the rear hatch opening to contact the aluminum frame and if you sprayed water directly on it then it would leak a little, it didn’t leak in the rain however. I used a ratchet strap to pull the bedsides back somewhat but I’ll install braces whenever I get back. I also need to pull the shell and replace the seal since it is starting to poke out in a couple of places (and yet still doesn’t leak).

I’ll agree that the main issue is the Toyota bed design sucks, especially for those who want to install any sort of cover. That said, shell manufacturers also seem to be inconsistent in their QC and a lot of shell dealers don’t seem to have a good grasp on trouble shooting.

Lfc17 likes this.
  8. Mar 23, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    Rabicano

Rabicano Member

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR, DCSB
    Yes! I bought a Leer Cap used and it leaked in a few different spots. Up front on both corners of the bedrail next to the cab and around the 3rd brake light in the back.

I was able to seal it up with plenty of silicone around the areas that leaked, but I was surprised at how the design allowed for these leaks in the first place, especially the one around the rear 3rd brake light.

sactotacowtf likes this.
  9. Mar 30, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    CamShaft033

CamShaft033 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 887s, JBA uca, Dakars, Fox Shocks, 285/70/17 Nittos, Dual Flowmaster, ARE Camper Shell w Yakima Rack, CVT Tent, AVID Rear Bumper Guard w LED Pods, 52" Lightbar, Sportsman Seat Covers, WeatherTech Floor mats
    Iv'e got an ARE and it leaks in the two openings above the tailgate.

Panthra likes this.
  10. Apr 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    Smiling Tacoma Owner

Smiling Tacoma Owner Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue Tacoma Limited 4 door
    side rails,
    Today I mounted a Gator FX to my 2017 Tacoma LTD, 4 dr, with 5' bed. Crawled inside near the front wall with the rest of the lid closed and noticed light at a couple of spots in the top corners. Some are because it is very cool here and the weather strip is still pretty stiff. Need to use my heat gun to smooth this out. Some of the light though is due to a gap between the bed head wall and the side rail. Need to seal that up with something, and intend to get that done tomorrow. Other wise, the Gator fits well and was pretty straightforward install.

11. Apr 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    erik530195

erik530195 Instagram: @toyota_vintage

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD
    A.R.E. Bed Cover; Upgraded fender flares; PA System; spotlights on tow hitch
    Have a tonneau cover and its leaked in the corners since day one. Used some caulking to mixed effect, but now there are puddles and its leaking all along the front in about five different places. It is brand new and might be under warranty but I dont know what they could really do. Anyone know a quick fix that looks decent from the outside?

12. Apr 8, 2017 at 12:46 AM
    BountyOR_VF2

BountyOR_VF2 "If in doubt, flat out!"

Member:
    NorCal Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 WHITE TRD TCSB OR
    Any photos? Mine V series got some leak from the heavy rain tonight.... :(

13. Apr 8, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    7r41lbr34k3r

7r41lbr34k3r Practitioner of the mechanical arts.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '21 Tundra 1794 OR
    No photos. I figured watching the install was good enough for me, I didn't even think about taking a photo.

With that said, @1stToy outlined above how our trucks leak from another location in this post. My truck finally started leaking exactly how he said it would. It's very minor, so I probably won't do anything about it. If I had a bed rug, I'd be pissed though.

14. Apr 8, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    1stToy

1stToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2017 QSDCORLB
    Its frustrating, with all the money you spend on these shells and yet it still leaks! We just had 3 days of solid rain and snow and after everything I've done it still leaks. I have definitely minimized to the passenger side cab end corner and have noticed how I park and the direction of the rain when and how much I will get inside the bed. I have removed the shell 3 times and sealed and re-sealed under the rails and the corners near the cab end but yet it still finds a way in.

15. Apr 8, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    7r41lbr34k3r

7r41lbr34k3r Practitioner of the mechanical arts.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '21 Tundra 1794 OR
    Yeah, they really are over priced for what they are. Don't get me wrong, the utility function is pure greatness though.

I think my solution will be to take the shell off every few years to clean everything/check for signs of rust under the rail caps. Attempts to keep it completely dry in there seems like a fruitless endeavor.

1stToy[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 8, 2017 at 9:43 AM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    ARE, Leer, whatever - they all leak. Windoors leak extra. If yours "isn't leaking," then you haven't been through a serious enough rain.

Very disappointing considering the price point.

17. Oct 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    jeff5581

jeff5581 New Member

Member:
    Good ol new england
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    As somebody who installs caps, i can tell you that it is not usually the cap leaking on the Tacomas, regardless of brand of cap. We had issues with the 05-15 models leaking between the plastic bed caps and the bed itself. The cap seal is not leaking, but coming in underneath the plastic caps.

The 2016+ models have been a nightmare. Between the composite beds, and all the overlapping plastic/composite panels in the front, some are damn near impossible to seal. We apply some caulking to the bulkhead rail and along the front side of the body right below the bed caps. Most of the time this is all thats needed. However we have had others that are next to impossible to seal due to it actually coming in where you cant reach unless the bed is off the truck.

I would think Toyota could do a little better than this since a good majority install a cap or tonneau cover to keep weather out. When you can see daylight through the front corners, i would say their tolerances are a little to loose. Heck there was one i could stick my pinky finger through.

f86sabjf, sactotacowtf and jls456 like this.
  18. Oct 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    I got a new CX top in July, double latch windoors and sliding front window. Odd thing was, I didn't order it with windoors, they just put them on for some reason (no charge for upgrade), they are great. The dealer told me when he installed it that it's a bitch to seal the front corners, and they may leak. He put RTV and foam in those small spots. It only leaks in those areas slightly when it really pours. My truck was outside during Irma and I had small puddles up front on each side. Nothing to complain about.

19. Oct 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    Kelly6773

Kelly6773 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SC
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sport DCLB
    Now I’m almost bummed. I’m almost ready to purchase a cap for weekend camping trips. Dry would be very nice! Any other tricks to get it sealed better? Before I put one on. Almost half tempted to just make one an see how it goes.

20. Oct 29, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    CooleyOne

CooleyOne TRD OffRoad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    EastBay, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OffRoad Taco
    2017 TRD OffRoad
    Is there a place to go for a comparison on shells? ARE, LEER, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top