1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Learning fishing knots.

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by aficianado, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Jun 29, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    People get all caught up in tying a bunch of different fishing knots. I’ve been an avid fisherman my whole life (and that’s a long time). I find there’s only about 3 to 5 fairly simple knots you need to know. If you are doing some specialized type of fishing or using special techniques then you may need another knot or two.
    90% of the time I use a palomar or improved clinch. Both are strong and easy to tie. Of the two I use the palomar the majority of the time. It’s one of the strongest knots out there. I use it for tying lures, hooks, swivels, weights/sinkers etc. etc.
    For tying two lines together I use either the blood knot or double uni knot.
    I often use a snell knot to tie on a hook especially larger salt water hooks. I like them also because they are a cool looking knot.
    I use the above mentioned knots probably 98% of the time.I’ve learned lots of other knots but why use them when the ones mentioned are easy to tie, very strong (especially the palomar) and work for most all applications.

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Jun 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Super White V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Compass and outside Temperature display, TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification, WeatherTech floor liners f/r.
    I stand corrected. It's a secure looking knot. Thank you!

wilcam47 and DrummyTaco[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jun 29, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    themcnertney

themcnertney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Akron, OH
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma, Off Road, 6 speed manual
    This is my go too...

[​IMG]

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Jun 29, 2022 at 1:12 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    That is a Palomar knot. One of the strongest knots you can tie.

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Jun 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    It’s important to know a lot of different knots because although the uni comes somewhat close, there are is no all around all purpose fishing knot.

Some scenarios:
    -Different line materials have different best knots.
    -Different parts of your terminal tackle require different knots. Examples, tying to a cork, tying to a lure, snelling a hook.
    -Different lines sizes, particularly for mono and fluoro, result in different Best knots. Over say 50 or 60 pound test it changes, and again over 100-120.
    -For those who tie their own rigs such as a triggerfish rig, there are specific knots you wouldn’t use elsewhere. Figure eight and dropper loops.
    -Braid to mono or fluoro best knot depends on line size and type of fishing. There are at least four depending.
    -Offshore fishing requires a different set of knots. Plus crimping.

I fish fresh water, inshore saltwater, near shore, and off shore. I have probably 20+ knots in my inventory that all see good use depending on the situation. It’s just like picking the right tool for a particular job.

6. Jun 29, 2022 at 3:35 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    I agree , we need to know just a handful of knots. Knots that is easy to Ty and use. 3-5 kinds for most situations.

Every best rule! kEEP IT SIMPLE!

Knots the fish knows they cannot break and untie. Those are the ones to
    Good “knots” are our friend.

Good hooks too, have been using “circle hooks” since the 60’s. Develop centuries ago.

First known fishing reel invented by the Chinese 1195 AD Recorded on Chinese paintings. I actually saw this painting from a book. Showing a old Chinese man on a boat, under some trees holding a conventional shape reel on a bamboo pole. Fishing.

wilcam47 likes this.
  7. Jun 29, 2022 at 3:39 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    I don’t disagree with you but I do fine with the knots I mentioned. I mostly fresh water fish trolling for trout and salmon and spin casting for the same and bass and pan fish. Also fresh water fly fishing. About 20% of my fishing is salt, bay and ocean and some surf casting. Those knots I mentioned are really the only knots I use and need. Again I appreciate specialized types of fishing and special techniques may require additional knots. I believe in kiss (keep it simple stupid) when it comes to fishing. Kiss keeps me happy and makes fishing more enjoyable for me. The only exception for me is fly fishing where I get pretty technical.
    I generally don’t much mix lines like braid to Fluor or mono and I generally don’t use lb test exceeding 50 lbs. so the few knots I mentioned are all I require and I think all the average fisherman requires. I think the “average “ fisherman doesn’t routinely fish for a dozen or more species with all the techniques that requires but instead concentrates on one or two types of fishing and doesn’t need a whole repertoire of knots. But again if you fish for many multiple species using multiple techniques, your knot inventory may be much larger than mine or the average fisherman. I think for me and most 3 or 4 knots are all that’s required.

8. Jun 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    I know 3 knots....

the 3 loops then tag through the holes for really heavy line
    the twist 7 times and then through the hole
    and the tie and put hook through hole

Took me long enough to learn them and I am not learning the names.

wilcam47 likes this.
  9. Jun 29, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Ulua style of fishing. Conventional Reels 4/0 -6/ 0 size. Mainline we use is 80lb. Join to a 200 lb leader.

Just about everyone we know like using these two knots, the Bimini twist and the Albright knot.

Takes a while to learn, being doing it for forty plus years. A flavorite knot.

10. Jun 29, 2022 at 4:21 PM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    I think if you’re fishing only lakes/inshore/surf, you can get away with just one knot most of the time. For example I’m a uni guy so for small pound test I’m uni to uni for braid to fluoro/mono, I use a uni snell, and I tie to terminal tackle with a uni.

The most important thing is to tie a solid knot, and tie a knot that you know well and can tie anywhere.

urshur and Sprig[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jun 29, 2022 at 7:16 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    On the opposite side of knowing a few good knots. No harm in learning a few news knots. Sometimes a special knot could be more beneficial in certain situations.

Knot knowing is knot good? Always keep an open mind, always something knew to learn! “knot” lol

wilcam47 and Sprig like this.
  12. Jul 28, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    Good topic!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who can't figure out the FG knot. I was so excited about it, too. I'd take about 10-15 casts and lose my leader every time. After 3-4 Yo Zuri crankbaits, I said fuck that.

-I use a uni-uni for tying lighter braid to fluoro leaders. I might try learning some of the others mentioned in this thread, though. Anybody have any specific recommendations for tying 10 to 15 lb. Braid to a 20 to 25 lb fluorocarbon leader?

Otherwise, I use-

-Palomar for braid to terminal tackle

-clinch or improved clinch for lighter mono or braid to terminal tackle

-uni for heavy mono or fluoro to terminal tackle

-snell for mono or fluoro to circle hooks

I agree that it's good to know more knots. But, the best knot is the one you tie well.

wilcam47 likes this.
  13. Jul 28, 2022 at 11:03 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    The FG is not a good knot unless you’re tying it with at least 50 lb test mono. It needs a lot of surface area to work properly. I typically tie it to connect 80 lb braid to 100 lb mono for my grouper/snapper setups. If tied properly it is the strongest knot out there, and for a wind-on leader, in my opinion, the only option.

As far as tying 15-20 lb braid to 20 to 25 lb mono, you should still be able to use a uni to uni. I tie 15 lb braid to 20 lb mono or fluoro all the time with a uni to uni, you just need to trim the mono/fluoro tag end as tight to the knot as possible so it doesn’t hang up on a guide.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    The FG knot is definitely worth learning. There are several methods/ tricks to spread the lines to create the twist.
    Best to watch someone do it, practice,practice. Practice to get it perfectly.
    It took me almost a year before I could do it without thinking.

What is a true Black Belt? It is not measures in years. They say takes 10,000 hours to learn most of the skill of a true martial artist. The technics comes without thinking. If you have to think first, not black belt level. Should be just a reaction. Like catching a ball.

The point here is “When you can do something WITHOUT thinking ! You master the knot. Black belt level.

Expect failures when learning, It is easier then you think it is. Once you find the technic! Easy and in time just as fast as tying other knots.

15. Jul 28, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    Maybe I'll try that FG not again when I am using heavier line sometime then. I was using it for lighter line for throwing crankbaits in the canals for snook.

I have been using the uni to uni without any issues for my smaller line leader knots. I was just curious if anyone could suggest anything better, or at least worth learning.

I like the FG knot. I just couldn't afford to keep losing crankbaits.

Do you use it successfully on lighter line (10-15# braid to 20-25# fluoro)?

16. Jul 28, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    CBBE8199-872A-42B0-B119-EC8D7A31EF71.jpg Good point about the FG knots. Works better on heavier fishing lines. Not sure of the smallest line that can be useful.

For our style of “Ulua” fishing , most of the conventional reels are loaded with 40lb, 50lb, 60lb, & 80lb. Usually connected to a 200lb leader.
    My son’s recently catch a 66lb Ulua -sliding baiting a live “Taape fish”
    Shoreline , July 23, 2022. He uses the FG knot, 80lb main line to a 200 lb leader.
    Newell 550 conventional reel. On a 13 foot Ulua rod-model Fenwick 16820, with full Aftco guides, ( only one in the world built like this in Hawaii.) by a famous rod maker in Hawaii. The Aftco guides have a “huge ring” on each guide for casting.

In Hawaii all Ulua poles have reflective tapes either in ring shape or length wise, Ulua are caught 24/7, At night you can see your fishing poles. We also use huge belts to notify of a strike. YouTube -Hawaii Ulua fishing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. Jul 28, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    Nice fish! Those look similar to a giant Jack Crevalle.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  18. Jul 28, 2022 at 1:38 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    It is in the family of the Jack Crevalle approx 8 different types. Depends on which scientist. Ulua is the Hawaiian name given.

Hawaiian people usually gives 2-3 different names to describe sizes. Ulua refers to anything over 10lbs. Under 10lbs is refer to as a Papio.

The Ulua is the number one shoreline game fish in Hawaii. Consider very good eating. We made sashimi, poke, & dried Ulua, From my Son’s Ulua. Can be steam, batter, deep fried, grill too.

There are multiple Ulua tournaments . On the Big island there is a annual “Ulua Challenge Tournament. Over 700 people enter each year, , men, women & children. You can fish anywhere on the Big Island shoreline. Usually there are Uluas brought in weighting over 100lbs. One year they had 3 over a hundred pounds. A three days and four nights of 24/7 fishing. Some people will hold a popular fishing spot months in advance.
    With so much Ulua caught, you will need at a least a 60lber to place in the top ten. Also the largest Omilu category. ( a unique Jack Creville) usually Omilu grows to under 30lbs. Google or YouTube Hawaii Ulua Challenge by Tokounaga fishing store.

The Shimano corporation is a major sponsor , the owner Mike, had Shimano built a special reel for shoreline fisherman. Reel is call the Shimano TORIUM 50. To hold 80lb mainline and design to cast from shoreline.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Thatbassguy likes this.
  19. Aug 29, 2022 at 7:46 AM
    capttommyz

capttommyz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Vehicle:
    2022 White Tacoma SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    Best place for knots, IMHO!!

Hook78 likes this.
  20. Aug 29, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    I love when knot graphics and videos use oversized line so you can see what’s going on.

However it’s a crime that they don’t have uni to uni in there.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top