1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Learning Guitar

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Khaos, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Well, I've had a pretty nice Fender guitar since I was 8 years old. Its been sitting around collecting dust never being played the way it was meant to be played. I'm very into music and have decide to start learning how to play. I've done this before but get frustrated and give up. I was listening to Zeppelin a little earlier and my mind has been made up, I am going to learn it this time.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to learn? Tips? Basically I'm just looking at tabs for easier songs and trying to play them... I suck. I want to learn it though. No money for lessons or any of that so its just gonna be myself, my guitar, and my internet connection to help me out.

2. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    hey man I can try and find some of my old lesson pages and send you some scales to work on. Search Penatonic Scales...Zap LIVES on them as well as almost every famous rock band. It is a great way to start learning something great sound and expose you hands to some basic picking

3. Mar 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I would say just keep your ears open. They will help you learn many things. I've played various woodwind instruments and I think it really helps if you can hear the difference in notes and what not.

4. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice. If you can send me some of those pages that would be awesome.

Right now I'm really trying to learn the main guitar bit from No Quarter (favorite song). I'm really into stuff like Zeppelin. I know the key to learning is to practice a lot so thats my plan. Gonna stick to it.

5. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    toyotacoma

toyotacoma Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Kenwood Excelon X-592 Custom TRD Badges
    This website is helpful.
    http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

Just look up the tabs to any song you want to learn, you would be surprised how many there are!

6. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    I learned using the guitar pro program, it is the simply the best way to learn new songs. you just go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ and download whatever guitar pro tab you want, then load it into guitar pro. guitar pro shows the tabs for each instrument (multiple guitars, vocals, drums, bass etc...) and you just click on the instrument you want to learn, and boom, the tab is there. check it out: http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

7. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

I love no quarter. One thing you will notice with page is that his timing is horrible, but intentionally. No quarter is a good example but really listen to Black Dog and you will see his timing. It may be a little harder to get down but you shouldnt have any issue learning the guitar lines!

8. Mar 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
  9. Mar 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Just got Guitar Pro, this program is awesome!

10. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    told ya so. I like the ability to play back tabs at whatever speed you want.

11. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM
    SUMO

SUMO Member

Member:
    Murrieta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Panda PreRunner
    k&n filter, swapmeet seat covers, broadway mirror, chinatown seatbelt-strap covers, rattle canned wheels, battle scars!, coconut warrior helmet on rearview, trd plates(on non-trd truck :D) ...and a whole bunch of future mods.
    learn to tune, learn some chords (get a chord chart)

ultimate guitar tabs is your friend

alot of patience and dedication and you'll be where you wanna be :].

have fun :thumbsup:

one thing i never go to was learning music theory :/ i wish had.. not too late though!

12. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:10 AM
    08_TACO_offroad

08_TACO_offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 Automatic
    265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, 17 inch Mickey Thomson Classic II Wheels. UWS tool box. TRD CAI. 3" suspension lift.
    www.ultimate-guitar.com is where i get all my tabs from. I've just started playing a few months ago and I can play a few intro's to songs. Another helpful thing is go on youtube and search for a cover or a lesson of the song you want. That helps me out alot. Good Luck!

13. Mar 24, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    snodrifter

snodrifter buttery

Member:
    Denver
    Yeah, tabs are the way to go. I taught myself how to play when I was in HS by learning, get this, blink182 songs from tabs. Just moved up to Sublime, etc. I'm more into accoustic now, though, but can pretty well play anything I try (Elliott Smith, etc). I've been playing for about 12 or 13 years now.

It'll be slow going at first, but stick with it. Play whenever you're bored. Build those callouses up. The more you play the better you'll get. Soon you'll be able to start coming up with your own tunes and rocking out.

14. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    09TRD

09TRD it is what it is

Member:
    Oakwood GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Not yet,
    So I'm not the only one in this boat! It sure is easy to get frustrated and want to quit. I started learning when I was in middle school and gave up and just now picked it back up a few months back. I have to stick it out now though considering I've went out and bought all kind of stuff. My personal opinion is to learn the chords first and go from there. When you get frustrated just go listen to a song with a bad guitar solo and just think, I could do that one day:D

15. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Played about 3 years... Start with your scales... It'll tune your year and stregnthen your fingers a lot. Start with the natural scale untill you can do it fast then move on to the mayjor scale... For chords start with open chrords. Try to listen more than you think

16. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers

Products Discussed in

To Top