1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leave brake controller hooked up when not towing?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 2lazy2, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    2lazy2

2lazy2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB
    Good Afternoon!
    Just installed a Tekonsha P3 in my 17 taco....I will probably tow 8-12 times a year, mostly in the summer. Would there be any negative effects if I just left the controller installed when not towing for a couple months?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

nobescare likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Forget it's even there.

gersus likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    2lazy2

2lazy2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB
    Appreciate the help!

4. Aug 14, 2017 at 4:09 AM
    Cnasianfire

Cnasianfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD off road DCSB
    BFG KO2 285/75/16 ~2" lift (5100s and block)
    On the same line, is it EVER bad to leave a brake controller in the truck all the time? Are there certain types that you may not want too? I just figured that they always stayed in the truck, but OP made me start thinking I was wrong.

5. Aug 14, 2017 at 5:46 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If you would feel better disconnecting it, then do it. Years ago many were hard wired and stayed in the truck until it died. Never seen an issue leaving it in. Like I said for a piece of mind for you if you want to then fine. I never have disconnected mine or had a request to disconnect.
    The only reason IMO to remove it is location issue. If it's in the way of banging your leg consistently or irritating then do it.

Cnasianfire[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 15, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Given enough time the led on the front may burn out. I think that will be shortly before the sun swallows the earth.

Without a trailer with electric brakes is hooked up it literally does nothing.

7. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    jage

jage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franktown CO
    Vehicle:
    '010 Silver Double Offroad Leather/Sunroof
    I've had brake controllers in five vehicles over the last 20 or so years. I've never even considered pulling them out for any reason, in fact I had to reread the OP because I assumed you were talking about leaving the trailer plugged in.
    My controllers (tekonsha) aren't even on without a trailer plugged up. No lights, no draw, nothing. And I leave my vehicles sit for months at a time.

That said, last week a few cells in my taco battery were out and I left a trailer plugged in for a few days. Since the battery was on it's last legs anyway (tested bad later) the trailer being plugged in nearly killed the battery- basically just the power draw from the brake controller. Keep in mind this was several (3-4 days), the battery never got above 10v after that and tested bad, and ... the damn thing still started on the third cycle (I'd totally given up). With a good battery no doubt I wouldn't have even noticed leaving the trailer plugged in as well. Good little taco. *ruffles roof*

8. Aug 27, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I had the same question when I first got my P3. I was a little concerned because the screen seemed to be on frequently even when not in use. But it does turn off eventually. I left it attached for months with no ill-effects. I did recently disconnect it when going on a trip where I wasn't going to need it. If I had it mounted in a better place I might have left it.

Products Discussed in

To Top