1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaves and debris in the cabin air filter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TnShooter, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    OEM filter.
    Cheap ones do not filter the air as good as a better ones.
    If you buy crap you get crap.

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter [OP] The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I'm really not concerned about the air quality.
    I am more concerned about the the big debris like leaves, pine needles and other large stuff getting down inside the blower fan below the filter. If somethingbig enough were to get in there it could damage the fan and at the very least cause some crazy noise as the fan blades hit it.

I did take the cowl off and looked under it where the air intake was located.
    It was pretty obvious how stuff gets in there. I'd take it off again but I'm afraid messing with it alot will cause the seal against the windshield to leak. So I'm going to leave it alone.

I sure hope I don't get the "Water in the floorboard" problem like some others do. If that happens, I'll take it back off and build some type shield/filter for that big inviting hole they call an air intake.

IT's got 2 hole in it from the factory like something was supposed to got there in the first place. But I guess they abandoned that "good" idea.

fökai671 likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Same crap here with the "it came with no filter". I took my truck in for scheduled maintenance I think it was 3rd oil change since new. I went to pick it up and the guy asks me if i wanted a cabin air filter put in my truck. I was like what do you mean a cabin air filter? He said, "there's no filter when you get the truck and for 65.00 we can put one in for you." I was pissed, we have cane fields here and after they harvest we get a crazy ass dust storms on the roads. I was always wondering why my a/c always smelled so dusty even when i have it on recirculate. My service guy must of known i was pissed cuz of the look on my face, because he nicely replies, "sorry man, we'll put one in for you complimentary this time".
    There's a noticeable difference when there is a filter. Mine is a 2007.

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    pictures added...:)

ThunderCookies likes this.
  5. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    Noslow100

Noslow100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Toytec 3 Inch lift kit with Bilstein 5100's, and more
    Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks. Need to do this soon.

6. Jan 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,

No problem. Here's the original filter (been in for 5 years.) It's dirty but no mouse turds, leaves, etc.

SSCN0339.jpg

7. Jan 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I'd suggest you do the mod in this link to keep the critters out first:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/89878-made-pre-cabin-air-filter.html

Then do the Moose Filter Mod in my sig. One-time purchase and you're good for life.
    (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/90324-diy-washable-cabin-air-filter.html)

And if you do get water in the cabin, here's what I did to cover it:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/88655-water-thru-cabin-air-intake-my-solution.html

8. Jan 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    NICE ,That will be a great little project !

9. Mar 28, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    ThunderCookies

ThunderCookies This is the Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    :spy: Doing this soon! Nice mod

10. Mar 29, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    cj13058

cj13058 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    ARB 3'' lift, ARE canopy, 265/75/16 All Terrain KO2, after market stereo, ECGS differential bushing, ARB Deluxe front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch, custom winch control box install, FrontRunner Slimline canopy rack,
    My 2005 did not have one.

11. Mar 29, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    lol...if you spend a lot of time off road especially in wooded areas a regular replacement is needed. Mine a while back:

12011412_10106189656740139_841812807417808454_n.jpg

12. Nov 3, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    Briiihave

Briiihave New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Prius 2007
    Hi.
    I'm late.
    I don't have a truck.
    I have a Prius.
    This was the first thread I found related to my search.
    Thank you.

LEAF BLOWER.

That's my culprit for exactly as you described your filter.
    The "gardeners" attached to the leaf blowers which caused/are causing such ridiculous debris accumulation in my cabin and engine, etc. are basically incapable of lifting their arm at the vehicles on the property.
    This does 2 things.
    Both marvelous.
    A.) The "gardeners" blow debris onto cars.
    B.) The "gardeners" blow debris under cars.

My first cabin filter change was shocking and confusing.
    I couldn't figure out where this filter seemed to say I'd journeyed.
    Then one day I was at the laundromat...
    Its strip mall has maintenance personnel.
    Amazingly the Great Man Leaf Blower made sure that he did not dust up the vehicles and extra sure to dust off the vehicles.
    Perfect.
    Not so where I live.
    Specifically, I Park in the carport.
    For whatever genius reason, the "gardeners"pull through their blower's CRAP through there. UNDER THE VEHICLES.
    Sigh.
    Anywho, thank you for allowing me to rant.
    Enjoy the weekend.

13. Nov 3, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    ^^this is good stuff right here

Products Discussed in