1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaving The Truck for 6 Months...What to do?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by STLharry, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    STLharry

STLharry [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Ok, so I am leaving for Australia on Tuesday for 6 months and the truck is coming off the road (and off insurance). I'm curious what anybody recommends for how to prepare the truck.

I was going to take it off the tires so that they stay good via blocks (but leave the tires on the truck).
    I have filled up with non-ethanol gas in the tank, and threw sta-bil and water remover in.
    What about the battery? Oil? Anything else?

Suggestions appreciated.

2. Jul 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    will it be stored inside?

A quick google searched turned up this list...

1. Warm the car up fully and go for a drive. When you get home, add most (not all, save 4-6 tablespoons for later) of a bottle of Liqui Moly Carb and Valve Cleaner to the gas tank, then fill the tank with fuel. This solution will act as an upper cylinder lubricant.
    2. Change the engine oil and filter.
    3. Drain/flush the cooling system. Ensure that the heater valve is open. Refill cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of fresh antifreeze and distilled water.
    4. Top up the trans/differential/steering box. Transmission and differential oil should be changed every 30,000 miles. If your car is due for a change, now's a good time to take care of that.
    5. Top off the brake fluid. Your car's braking system should be flushed and bled with new fluid every 2 years. If it's due, now's a good time to take care of that task.
    6. Wash and wax the paint and brightwork. Thoroughly vacuum and clean the car's interior. Remove the battery, then clean the battery and battery case with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Take battery inside and place on an automatic trickle charger
    7. Push (or temporarily reinstall the battery and drive) the car into the (hopefully indoor) storage area. If you are storing the car in an area with an earth or gravel floor, lay a big piece of plastic down first, then drive the car onto that. The plastic sheet will provide a vapor barrier and help keep the car from rusting.
    8. Raise the car on jackstands. Place the jackstands under the various suspension components so that the suspension is compressed and at normal ride height. We've found that fully extended shocks tend to get stuck in that position, hence the last instruction. If space is tight in your garage, you can rest the car on a set of Auto Dollies, so you can move it easily into a corner.
    9. Slip a plastic baggie over the exhaust tip(s) and snap a rubber band around it to keep it in place. Do the same to the air cleaner inlet. This will help keep moisture out of the engine.
    10. Place a couple of mothballs in the trunk, the interior, and the engine compartment. Hopefully this will dissuade little furry creatures from building nests. A quality car cover will also help keep the animal kingdom out of your car. An even better solution is to cocoon the car and cover in a Car Pocket. If the car is being stored indoors, crack the windows about 3/8".
    11. Finally, if possible, rotate the drive axles a few turns once a month. This will help to keep the differential gears and transmission mainshaft and countershaft coated with oil.

My truck is in long term storage for a year, but they start it weekly and move it around the indoor storage lot.

3. Jul 3, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Is there any way you can get someone to come by and start it once a week or every 2 weeks? That would be best IMO.

4. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    STLharry

STLharry [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Nice Info thanks!

5. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    My dad regularly parks his truck for 3-5 months at a time. He did a lot of the stuff you mentioned and just disconnects the battery as it always goes dead when he doesn't.

6. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Hughesc99

Hughesc99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Derby, KS
    yea....disconnect your battery. learned that my first deployment.....and change your oil when you get back.

7. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    I would be worried about the gas going bad. The ethanol they are put in sucks up moisture. the system is closed but 6months is along time. Put some stabil or sea foam in the tank.

Man i would love to spend 6mo in Australia. I went for 9days and wanted to imigrate

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just left mine for six months and put stabil in the gas tank and someone I trust is going to drive it every month and start it about once a week. I'm hoping that'll keep the battery charged and the tires from getting messed up.

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon Coilovers, BudBuilt Skids, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, JDM Steering Wheel, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps
  10. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Respect your elder gen.
    Pink slider.
    Dont worry about taking your tires off. Radial tires don't get flat spots.

11. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    just bring it to my house ill drive it and keep it safe for ya :)

To Top