1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Bulbs for PIAA 510 Housings?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Johnny4runner, May 17, 2018.

1. May 17, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Johnny4runner

Johnny4runner [OP] Member

Member:
    I've got some PIAA 510 lights in my aftermarket bumper that I would like to update to LEDs. Can anyone confirm an LED bulb that will fit? Maybe there is some more modifications that are needed to fit the cooling fins and extra electronics? I know that converting to HID in the 510s is not that simple due to bulb fitment.

I would like to get more light out of the lights and switch to a yellow 2700k/3000k light for the bumper.

Best, J4R

2. May 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    LEDs in your halogen reflector are not going to give you more light. And they are definitely not going to get you more low color temperature light.
    Read this to see why that is a bad idea:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/

If you want LEDs and yellow light in a standalone 4" fog, I would suggest looking at:
    http://www.kchilites.com/industry/fog-lights/4-gravity-led-fog-light-pair-pack-system.html
    Though these are 580nm which is in-between yellow and amber.

If you want more light projection out of your PIAA 510s, switch to a high efficiency non-coated bulb, like Osram Nightbreaker:
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-h3

If you want a flood light more output, but are less concerned about distance projection, consider a high wattage bulb:
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-super-bright-premium-h3

I don't know what the PIAAs wiring situation is, but you need adequate wiring and fuse to upgrade to high wattage 100w bulbs.

3. May 18, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    Johnny4runner

Johnny4runner [OP] Member

Member:
    I guess you really don't like LEDs. Can you answer my question?

Nice research on LEDs in stock housing. Doesn't really apply to my situation since these are aftermarket fog lights and don't have a cutoff and the pattern is less important. I also don't understand your comment regarding the color temperature. Are you saying my housing will turn a yellow light white? The bulb determines the color, not the housing.

Not going to spend $300 on new KC lights, especially when I already have a set of housings. Not sure where you get 580nm, but KC says the lights are 5000k which is not yellow or amber.

100w bulb in a 55w housing? Sounds like a good way to melt the housing, regardless of the wiring.

Best, J4R

4. May 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    It isn't that I don't like them, it is that putting LEDs in a halogen housing is going to result in awful performance. LEDs require an LED housing.

But yes, there are LEDs that do not require a cooling fan, like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/ICBEAMER-pai...e=UTF8&qid=1526662004&sr=8-10&keywords=h3+led
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Orange-10-SM...&qid=1526664811&sr=1-30&keywords=h3+led+amber

Performance will be significantly worse than stock.

Beam pattern does apply as your PIAAs have a designed beam pattern. The 510s come in several patterns, including fog. So if you have the fog version, it has a cut off. If you have a driving beam pattern version, it wont. But it still will have a designed beam pattern based around the light source. Changing the light source to LED will completely mess up the beam, meaning they will not project nearly as far, and they won't light up the road nearly as much, while also inducing massive glare. So they will look brighter when you look at it, but will put out much less light.

There is a drop down to select light color, you can choose 5000k or amber. Since amber LEDs produce no white light it isn't rated by color temperature, and instead is referred to by wavelenght if you want to know the color. The KC wavelenght is 580nm, which is right between yellow and amber.

PIAA 510s are steel and glass.

5. Jan 18, 2024 at 12:19 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    What would be a newer source for the Nightbreaker? I just bought some similar lights and would like to run a custom harness you had been mentioning for these to be triggered by the high beam pin in my passenger side headlight connector that I’m not using now that I have the ground switched harness for my headlights only using my drivers side headlight connector. I’m guessing they would put out too much power for the stock wire harness so I’d need to run a relay that is switched on from the high beam pin in the passenger side headlight connector and run power from the battery?

So my ideal setup would be low beam headlights + Baja designs sae fogs on the low beam setting and the high beam headlights and the PIAA aux lights on the high beam setting on the headlight switch.

Would it be possible to make this all from a male H4 connector and a relay with wires to power the PIAA’s from the battery and the stock headlight pin in the passenger headlight powering the BD fogs when on low beams? I can make a diagram if that’s only clear as mud ha.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  6. Feb 4, 2024 at 5:07 AM
    TacoEngineer41

TacoEngineer41 Lighting Test Engineer (3rd Party Lab)

Member:
    Northern & Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4

Actually, just a few years ago ANSI added 2200K into their LED MacAdams Quadrangles which is a white/"amber". There isn't a good lifetime currently with 590nm LEDs (True Amber) so this would actually be a good replacement if it falls within the SAE Amber quads.

7. Feb 4, 2024 at 5:13 AM
    TacoEngineer41

TacoEngineer41 Lighting Test Engineer (3rd Party Lab)

Member:
    Northern & Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    PC Amber is actually pretty common now too which is the 2200K but has a cut off near the 450nm wavelength leaving minimal blue to only allow a "white" and bumps down the CCT somewhere near 1700-1900K since its still near the blackbody curve.

Products Discussed in

To Top