1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED DRL bulb replacement with stock DRL flasher and NO RESISTORS!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jgraham, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    nah, you listed everything really clearly in the op, i just completely omitted the bulbs part, because i thought i already knew that led's would present a problem over normal filament bulbs, but thanks again, i'll keep u updated

2. Jan 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    hey jgraham, i'm pretty sure you're a genius! i got those bulbs in, I put them in, and of course fuses blew, then i cut off the two inner wires, and it works perfect, i do have the hyperflash though....i might spring for the resistors later, thanks a ton, man

3. Jan 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    sub'd

4. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    jgraham

jgraham [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Weathertech Digitalfit Floorliner, locking gas cap (Stant 10504), tailgate antitheft mod, DRL override switch with LED lamps and my Original Anti-Hyperflash Mod(TM), Original, pre-recall, full length accelerator pedal!

Thanks for the compliment! I do try my best...

Why spring for the resistors though, when you could modify your flasher relay as Taco Taco and I have described? That way, you can fully enjoy the benefits of reduced current draw on the front lighting. Even if you don't have the DRL version, it should still be the same type of solid state relay logic. (You can turn on your hazard flashers, and if they don't hyperflash like the turn signals do, then it's almost certainly solid state flasher logic).

What I hate most about using resistors to cure hyperflash is you're still drawing a lot of current, and now your system still generates a bunch of heat that has to be dealt with, somehow. Additionally, you've had to spend money to buy the resistors, and cut into your stock wiring to boot (which brings its own set of aggravations, such as possible wiring corrosion later)

5. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    haha, i'm so dumb, i forgot why i was in this thread to begin with, i was so happy that that the bulbs worked, yea i'm def gonna chisel down that flasher, nice free mod!

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i sorta remember now, i was originally ok with the hyperflash, I just wanted the led bulbs to work, esp when i lock and unlock my truck, but now I can fix it for free.

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    jgraham

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Weathertech Digitalfit Floorliner, locking gas cap (Stant 10504), tailgate antitheft mod, DRL override switch with LED lamps and my Original Anti-Hyperflash Mod(TM), Original, pre-recall, full length accelerator pedal!
    That's okay; I often walk into a room and forget what I came for. Once you put all the ideas in this thread together, though, you end up with a truly great mod! I'm just glad I could help make it happen.

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    I have a '11 that did not come with DTRL's. I'm about to do the mod adding the DTRL flasher....

Is this process the same?

9. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    jgraham

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab

Not sure what you mean. It is the same, once you have the DRL flasher hardware to modify. DRLs use a different flasher than the non-DRL system. I don't have one of those non-DRL flashers to take apart, so I don't know anything about them. If you're doing the mod, then you can do all of these steps to the new hardware to get it to work with LEDs as described.

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Sg5845

Sg5845 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Edition
    This worked absolutely perfectly for me. Some times the best solution is the simplest! I'd buy you a beer if you were local!

11. Mar 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    darcivic00si

darcivic00si Love this forum!

Member:
    First Name:
    Darci
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '20 Super White TRD PRO Manual!!!
    Thanks so much jgraham!

I just did this mod with LEDs that I got from a forum member, csjumper2003, who sells LEDs on the here. He also sells a resistor kit, but I decide to try this first. Worked as advertised! Now I don't need to use those pesky and hot resistors.

It took me about 30 mins. I was able to get the flasher relay out without removing the fuse box which made it alot quicker.

12. Mar 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    J Veezy

J Veezy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW TRD-S DCLB
    I was thinking about attempting this with the LEDs I got from csjumper2003 also... Since you've almost the same truck as me (Minus the mods ;)) I was wondering how much grinding you had to do on the loop to get it to work? Also, did you install 2 LED blinkers or 4?

13. Mar 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    darcivic00si

darcivic00si Love this forum!

Member:
    First Name:
    Darci
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '20 Super White TRD PRO Manual!!!
    At first I was kinda going slow, but I got sick of plugging the flasher back in over and over to see if it was good.

So, I just started grinding a bunch off of the sides and the top. I ended up grinding off a bunch, but there is still plenty left and the loop is still intact.

I only have the 2 front LED's. Stock ones in the tail lights.

14. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    Gonna try this after work Friday. I hate hyper flash. 4 ways work fine and hyper flash even with trailer hooked up. Thanks for the info

15. Mar 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    No luck. I had I ground down to almost paper thin. It broke once and had to solder it. But even with putting in an incandescent bulb it still hyper flashed. I even went as far as to remove some of the hoop and re solder it and nothing. Still fast. I have a buddy that has an FJ and found a 12 pin led flasher so I am gonna ask him where he got it.

16. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    jgraham

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab

I wonder what went wrong... did you have all LED bulbs front and rear, or just front with standard incandescents rear? I never tried to grind the hoop enough to compensate for an all LED setup; it may not be possible to remove enough without breaking through. It might take replacing the hoop with a fairly large resistor in that case. No idea what size you would need, but I know there needs to be at least some flow path for the circuit to work or it will simply not flash (which is why it can't just be cut out altogether).

The reason the 4 ways don't hyperflash is because in 4 way hazard mode, the bulb circuit is never checked for "proper" resistance. I don't know if there's some way to just inhibit the bulb out check in turn signal mode. That's beyond the scope I looked at, but might be possible, somehow.

17. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Great thread.

FYI re: 2012's....Flash relay is light blue, larger than previous relays, located right next to the fuse box under the dash. You will have to remove the lower dash to access it. Once accessed, there are (2) 10mm bolts holding it in place. The lower 10mm bolt is easy to access, the other is located at the top of the relay and is positioned in such a way that makes access trying and reinstallation really frustrating. Once you access/remove the relay, you will need to remove the black cover on the bottom of the relay. You will need to bend the mounting bracket out of the way in order to remove the motherboard. Finally, there are (2) hoops to grind down on the new motherboard. Installation is the reverse of removal.

18. Apr 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM
    youngblood

youngblood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 DC longggg bed
    None (yet)
    Can someone who has done this successfully with 2 or 4 led replacements get an resistance reading with a multimeter?

It would be interesting to see this and find the proper zone for doing this mod to make it more easily achieved.

19. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    jgraham

Member:
    Greer, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    I took mine back out to check this for you. Unfortunately, it reads as a dead short (0.0 ohms) to my multimeter, a Fluke 77. You'd need someone to measure it with an ultra low ohm multimeter. I did take another look at what I'd done to the hoop, and I ground about half of the original thickness off, on the outer facing side of all three sides of the hoop as possible.

For best results, try to grind to an even thickness across as much of the overall length as you can. Focusing on one point isn't as effective as making the whole thing thinner.

20. Apr 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Without disconnecting one side of the hoop from the rest of the circuit, the resistance measurement won't be accurate. You would be measuring the resistance of who-knows-what in parallel with the hoop itself. The error may be negligible if the hoop's resistance is very low, so in the end you may still need a very sensitive meter.

Edit:
    After checking out the ridgeline forum article it appears that the shunt resistor hoop resistance IS indeed quite low.. on the order of 30 milli ohms (0.03 ohms). In that article, they had to modify the resistance to 120 milli ohms (0.12 ohms). They did it by replacing the hoop with resistors soldered together in parallel to get the required value. For those on here who's grinding didn't work out, that may be the answer for them.

Products Discussed in

To Top