1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Lighting Conversion

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by chan2565, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Apr 2, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Parker315

Parker315 Modding on a Budget | TTC Member #0127

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    TTC (Texas Toyota Coalition) Member #127
    Yes these are a great option for high beams. I currently have these in the high beams and they are awesome!

I’m also gonna test these out in my fog lights and see how they do.

RobP62 likes this.
  2. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    @Parker315, believe it or not, I'm not surprised to hear that the Auxbeams were better in the fogs. The Hikari's w/ Philips LEDs seemed to have a more focused beam pattern from some of the pictures you guys have posted (compared to some of the other LED bulbs you guys tested). That's great for light projection standpoint, but not so much for fogs where I would like a wider beam pattern instead. So from my perspective, it seems like the Auxbeams do that nicely.

Did you have a chance to check and see if there is significant glare from your Auxbeams in the fogs (for on-coming drivers)?

I also think it'd be neat to test out the older CREE style Hikari's in the fogs! ;)

@RobP62 Thanks for your reviews with great pictures! It's always nice to find some good alternatives that don't break the bank...looks like you found just that! The ones you reviewed look like they are brighter than the ones I'm currently using.

With the LEDs I already have installed aren't as bright as I had hoped and so my license plate LEDs are washing out the reverse camera picture. It doesn't wash it out as bad as was when I had OEM backup lights with the LED bulbs in the license plate spot, but it still washes it out enough for me to feel like I need a brighter reverse LED bulb.

I found the bulb design interesting on these LEDs, because they also angled LEDs toward the back of the bulb which should help distribute the light into the reflector dish. Best of all, they're still pretty inexpensive! Has anyone else tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PQWQR2/ref=psdc_15736451_t3_B076DR4GHH

EDIT: I just realized that the LEDs I linked to above are not 921 bulbs. Once I actually plan on purchasing stuff again (can't order any more for a while), I'll have to see if I can find a LED pattern similar to this in the 921 bulb style. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    RobP62 likes this.
  3. Apr 2, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    Have you ever thought about getting one of the switchback style LED bulbs for the fogs?

I was interested in getting a switchback style H11 LED bulb for the fogs so that I could change from yellow to white on the fly...but I was afraid that my wife would flip her lid if she accidently toggled it one day. Lord knows how big of a crisis that would become! LOL

We'd love to see your pictures and impressions of any LED that you end up putting in it. :)

RobP62 likes this.
  4. Apr 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    Parker315

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:

I am going to try out the “old” Hikari Cree leds in the fog light and see how well they perform compared to the AuxBeam.

With all of this in mind and seeing how I only have 1 set of projectors....

I’m selling the Hikari Phillips LED to anyone who wants to use them in there low beam projector housings. I will sell them for $60 which is $30 less than Amazon currently and $10 less than I paid on the flash sell. So $60 +shipping cost.

RobP62 and ToyoDrew[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Apr 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    Parker315

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sold

FOR SALE - Hikari Phillips H11

Read back to posts #2238 page 112 for the reason why. These are best used in the low beam projector housing of the 3rd gen Tacoma’s

$60 +Shipping

13FB2B25-8025-477B-B7E0-051168340F10.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    RobP62 and ToyoDrew like this.
  6. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Guntaco

Guntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    So I just installed my Hikari leds before work. I am assuming they work best with the led chip on the left and right opposed to top and bottom. Well my right beam seems to be alright but my left one doesn’t seem very bright. I don’t know if it’s faulty or I need to adjust the beam. I guess I haven’t driven with them when it is dark enough yet, but mine did not appear as bright as others have posted pictures of. :annoyed:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    RobP62 likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Are you talking about the low beams? I know for me, and I really think it's the design of the projector housing, but the left seemed lower which you could be confusing for less bright. It's like that on purpose so the beam of light isn't right in the faces of people in oncoming cars. Make sure your on a very flat surface like parking lot and pull all the way up to the wall. I was told to go to Walmart and that's an excellent suggestion. Then slowly pull back. It might make it easier to tell if it is dimmer or just lower. If you want, you can also download a lux meter app and measure them. If you find one is defective, they will honor the warranty.

There is no adjustment, these only go in the hole in the housing one way. Unless you remove the collar and drill new holes like @mrproduxn did. If you look at the three tabs on the collar, one is larger than the other two, and those are angled on one side so it's a one way only insert.

8. Apr 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    An smart phone app based lux meter is unable to measure LED light, unless spending many hundreds of dollars for the standalone measuring device to pair with the app. As I have mentioned before, measuring LEDs light takes specialized equipment, which is not the same an incandescent light meter (very cheap) so the reading for LEDs will be wildly wrong and completely worthless.

9. Apr 4, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    Ch4rles

Ch4rles Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Installed these Hikari Philips Lumileds https://amzn.to/2q8wWcy yesterday in my low beams. 10 minutes of time. Easy.

All I can say is...

omg.jpg

RobP62 likes this.
  10. Apr 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Another very happy customer! Great!

Ch4rles[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 4, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR
    For the guys that installed the Hikari 12Ks, did you do anything to cover up the wiring from the elements? Not sure if I should be worried about moisture getting in and causing issues later down the road.

RobP62 likes this.
  12. Apr 4, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR
    Also, although happy over all with the Hikari’s, they do not seem to go out as far, nor as “full” as the stock light for me.

It is not a huge difference, but I still notice the a tiny bit of “decrease” in output.

The look is worth the inconvenience though.

Modesto Tacoma and RobP62 like this.
  13. Apr 4, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    All I did was wire tie the transformers or whatever those black boxes were up to existing wires to take some of the weight load off when I am going over sever bumps like RR tracks. I know they don't weigh much but I just just didn't want them pulling on connections. I thought about the moisture too but assumed everything was buttoned up as they list them as weatherproof. I feel ya though.

14. Apr 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll...

Member:
    TX / S. FL
    Vehicle:
    3G TRD OR

Good enough for you. Sounds good enough for me. :thumbsup:

RobP62[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Yea, I said this too in my initial post/review and said how there is a lack of the muted illuminated "boxes" over the the cut off. I also said for $200 bucks a set you can get them back with the GTR Gen 3s. Then I said this is why I might adjust mine up a tad bit. So I am feeling ya on what your saying here.

I honestly almost put the set I had in my low beams into the high beams and was going to drop the $200 on the GTRs but then I just told myself it wasn't worth the extra money to have those illuminated boxes, well, to illuminate the mid air, when there's nothing in front of you, or the back roll up door of a truck. Who cares about that, not worth another $110 bucks to me. I will adjust mine up about 2" and see if I get flashed. If I do I will lower them.

To take this further. I was kind of skeptical to buy the second set for the high beams knowing there was no way in hell I was going to be able to modify them to spin the bulb in the collar like others were doing to get the perfect alignment. But when it was posted that they were on sale I said screw it and took the chance. Let me tell you what. Unscientifically speaking, these bulbs in the high beams are no less than double as bright to me. Could be just now the light is whiter, and looks more intense but better is better. I got to try them out too last night.

The deer were grazing here last night:

upload_2018-4-4_13-38-38.jpg

Their eyes were not yellow as usual. They were completely white unlike anything I have ever seen. This is a summer shot when the foliage is cut back on the shoulder, right now it is overgrown. I still picked up their eyes from almost 400 yards away. It allowed me time to slow down. They cross here all the time. Of course I had my highs on too but wow, what a difference with the wildlife.

ToyoDrew likes this.
  16. Apr 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Yea, if was doing river crossing with the water up to that point I might add some silicone but as it stands, slight road spray from running over water filled potholes should not be a problem. I don't see a lot of evidence of water (our winter has been nasty this year with rain, not a lot of snow) up inside the engine bay. I do still have my full fender liners though.

17. Apr 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Added the Morimoto fogs!!

OEM on the left, Morimoto on the right:

It may look dimmer than the OEM, but that's just because it's more focused and I wasn't in it's sweet spot.

Here it is with both Morimoto's installed (along with the MESOJDM blinkers)!!

Last shot is to show you the color temp match with the DRLs and the new Hikari's: :D

They look badass and I must say that I'm very happy so far...but I need to do some real night-time testing (not early morning dusk) before I can comment on actual performance (especially after using HIDs).

One thing to note is that I finally adjusted my headlights. I always thought they were shooting low, so I went into a parking garage and adjusted them. Parked about a foot away and marked it on the wall, then backed up about 25 feet and found that they dropped just over 6 inches! So I was able to hand turn the headlight adjusters so that it only dropped about 2.5 inches...and I must say that has made a HUGE difference in itself. And it doesn't shine into the rears of the cars over their trunks...so it should be correct now.

SilverII and RobP62 like this.
  18. Apr 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Andrew, you got me DOIN' MY HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Looks so freaking good! I tell ya. I am so adjusting my low beams now. I may even adjust the fogs up a little too. Just what I said, up onto the trunk but not into the rear window of a car in front of me.

BOYAHH!

ToyoDrew likes this.
  19. Apr 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    ToyoDrew

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    :taco::taco:

Initially, I couldn't see much of the fog light pattern because it was too low (below the hoodline), so I did adjust the fogs up so that they were just below the Hikari's LB light spread (when looking at it on a road).

Now I need the SR5 fog light trim and to blackout the side Tacoma Badges and I'll be happy (for now). I do want the TRD Pro tails (thanks for the temptation @Parker315), but I really can't spend more on the Orange Crush until I find & close on a new house in a few months.

20. Apr 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Correct. If I sit all the way up in the seat and look over the hood I can see where the beam pattern starts but no way is that a natural sitting position for me. I think I can kick them up a bit too.

My biggest fear is that I get greedy and raise them both up too much. LOL. Then I might piss some people off.

The Dual LED Projector Low Beams on my Lexus are borderline. They have an extremely far throw. I get flashed occasionally. It's factory though so I just flash back. Then they regret doing it.

ToyoDrew likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top