1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Lighting Conversion

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by chan2565, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Dec 30, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    Parker315

Parker315 Modding on a Budget | TTC Member #0127

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    TTC (Texas Toyota Coalition) Member #127
    No I dont believe so, you may still need to add resistors to the front as well. They aren't all on the same circut like your thinking I don't believe. I could be wrong, but just start with the rear and see what happens. Try without resistors first cause maybe you don't get hyperflash at all. If you do, add the R's to the rear only and test again.

RobP62 likes this.
  2. Dec 30, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

baldbeardedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I think we are miss understanding a few things in translation

I don’t have any leds installed for the rear turn or brake lights yet and don’t plan on it just yet. Still figuring out what I want to do exactly with the rears (tat possibly but I want to be sure and only do it once)

I have the front turns leds installed currently and get the hyper flash.

So I got your thought that the front and rear turns are not on the same circuit. I was just trying to plan ahead because eventually I want to do a retrofit so want to leave all possible open mounting locations up front for when I do the retro which is why I was thinking it would be ok to put the resistors in back even though it was for the front leds. If it’s not apparent by now I’ve never done resistors (I used a flasher on my last truck) but I have taught myself to solder so I know I’m capable. I just try to get clarification before I dive in

3. Dec 30, 2018 at 7:42 PM
    deAutoLED.com

deAutoLED.com Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Yes 100% correct. We have not seen any on the market as bright that do not require any outside resistor - it is totally plug and play.
    -NO outside resistor
    -NO errors
    -NO flickering
    -NO radio interference
    -Plug & Play
    -just a bulb you replace (insanely bright)

Front turn:
    http://deautokey.com/product/universal-front-turn-signal-leds-fits-all-car-models

only 7443 model that works and looks bright:
    http://deautokey.com/product/universal-brake-tail-leds-fits-all-car-models

This video shows the front turn style in the housing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxbvQSd-JM

Parker315 likes this.
  4. Dec 30, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    Parker315

Parker315 Modding on a Budget | TTC Member #0127

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    TTC (Texas Toyota Coalition) Member #127
    Sorry man, I follow you now. I'm not sure I'm the guy to help or not. If you have hyperflash up front and you want to fix it then you either need to splice in resistors or you need to get a bulb that doesn't hyperflash at all and is trully plug and play.

I know you said deAutoLED is out for you, but they have quality lighting products and their front and rear are trully plug and play, no resistors and no hyperflash at all. Seems pretty cut and dry, but your call brother :thumbsup:

RogueTacoma and RobP62 like this.
  5. Dec 30, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Too bad you can't see what your buying. :rolleyes:

Pandaman59 and Thegenerik1 like this.
  6. Dec 30, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    NEPAChuy

NEPAChuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR Blue Pearl
    Hey guys, in my opinion you should hold your excitement for the 7443 red brake and turn signal lights from deAutoLED. The bulbs are bright and they are plug and play, as promised, with no hyper flash (front also installed from deAutoLED) but after installing today I have one big problem with them. The bulbs are so bright in their running state that it's hard to tell when they've been switched to brake/turn signal mode. It seems like most of the diodes are active as running lights and only a small number of diodes are added when the brakes or turn signals are activated. I drove behind my vehicle to observe and found it a bit difficult to identify when brake or turn signals lights were activated. I think the differences between the running tail lights and the brake or turn signal lights should be very obvious, which is not true with these bulbs. I've contacted deAutoLED about this and am awaiting a response.

I am not saying to stay away from deAutoLED bulbs altogether. I'm only giving an honest opinion of these 7443 red bulbs as they were sold to me this week and I'm hoping deAutoLED does something to change these bulbs. To date I've had very good experiences with deAutoLED stepping up to solve any problems I've had.

Pandaman59, Parker315 and RobP62 like this.
  7. Dec 30, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    NEPAChuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    @RogueTacoma I tried installing the side marker LEDs from deAutoLED today and found them to be extremely loose in the socket. They simply did not want to stay in the sockets and even the slightest vibrations caused them to fall out. Do you have any pointers for installing them? I really like their color and brightness, but of course need to bulbs to stay in the socket when installed.

Additionally, @RogueTacoma, I tried the same thing you did with installing maps light LEDs into the license plate sockets and every time I did that my tail fuse would blow after a few seconds. I went through about 8 fuses testing different combinations of bulbs and orientations before concluding the bulbs must have been simply pulling too much current. I'm not sure it matters, but which model Tacoma do you have? I have a 2018 TRD OR, which runs a 7.5 A tail low profile mini fuse. In order to swap my license plate lights to LED, I ordered the license plate specific bulbs from deAutoLED. They are in fact different from the map lights, but they do not blow my tail fuse and are also very bright.

8. Dec 30, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

baldbeardedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I got you now, I am surprised that I actually need them up front. And I was mistaken on the bulb too, it wasn’t the xb but the x- vf

Parker315[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 30, 2018 at 11:19 PM
    LA_Stu

LA_Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    I had the same issue with the rear 7443 from deauto. Was quite disappointed and returned them. The front indicators from deauto have been great - no hyper flash and really bright.

NEPAChuy[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 31, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    i asked for specs for the brake light on the ratio in brightness between brake and tail light, but unfortunately they do not provide any specs whatsoever, not even able to provide a size description, instead relying on their customer feedback to speak for itself . Looks like for brake//tail light bulb a chat with their manufacturer is in order, to set such an expected specification. 3:1 is bare minimum, 6:1 brightness ratio between brake to tail light is preferred.

11. Dec 31, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    NEPAChuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I had another go at the side markers today and got them to fit snugly. It did take a lot of force as you said.

12. Dec 31, 2018 at 11:42 AM
    NEPAChuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    deAutoLED simply responded "we saw a difference" and said I can return the bulbs, so I've returned them.

I did have another look at the bulbs before returning them. All diodes are active, always. The brightness for all diodes simply changes when the brake or turn signal is activated, but the delta in overall brightness is minimal. I really hope they speak with their manufacturer and make some modifications because otherwise these bulbs would be plug and play and simple, plus the brightness would be suitable for activated brake/turn signal lights.

13. Dec 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    NEPAChuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    It's possible there is some variation among the LED bulbs being sent out. My stock bulbs far outperformed the LEDs I received.

There are ~20,000 Tacomas being sold every month out there, so I'd hope people would speak up if their stock bulbs are showing no contrast in brightness when applying brakes or turn signals.

14. Dec 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    VegasKnights

VegasKnights Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Which LED's are these? Thanks in advance.

15. Dec 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    Boyitz

Boyitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB Cement
  16. Dec 31, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    VegasKnights

VegasKnights Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Thank you. Stage 1 or Stage 3? Thanks sorry to bug. Definitely ordering.

17. Dec 31, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    GPH36

GPH36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black TRD Pro
    I installed the Stage III last week. It is loads better than stock. The brightness took a little adjusting to, but it’s great with the all black interior. I can actually see now! You won’t regret the purchase!

Boyitz likes this.
  18. Dec 31, 2018 at 10:03 PM
    deAutoLED.com

Member:
    Thanks for the support.

The team and many customers tested the 7443 before launch: fully error free / plug and play / brightness ratio is 3:1 - it is about 3x brighter than you hit the brake.

In testing:
    -very bright deep vivid red for tails tail
    -when hitting the brake it lights instantly and can see it flash bright red which is what most will be seeing: quicker light-up + brighter red light = better reaction time.

This is what we seen in testing and many liked it - the contrast is not much but it is there and noticeable. We feel the 3:1 was best to keep it a bright tail and bright brake at the same time while noticeable. Has anyone tested it in the real world like us and the customers? The team always release product tested so it works 100%. This is the only error free model they have seen on the market currently that are this bright.

For side markers: if you press the metal that holds the bulb together it should create a tight grip for the bulb and it won't move. I seen this issue in the side marker VW and so far no problem and been in for years.

Working for 2019:
    -true plug and play switchback for the cars that use 7443 as DRL/TURNS
    -true plug and play solid amber

What they have so far:
    -Interior LED kit
    -Front 7440 turns
    -7443 brake
    -H11 yellow/white fog
    -License plate
    -HID H11 Kit
    -Side Markers

Sorry for any inconvenience! Thanks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    RobP62 and RogueTacoma like this.
  19. Jan 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    deAutoLED.com

Member:
    yes the 7442 and 7443 are interchangeable so they both will work. Testing is being done now and should release later this month.

Do you have the option of just using your LED as turns - if you do the 7440 also work. Many are running 7440 in 7442 cars according to them as TURNS ONLY as some do not want the orange DRL.

Thanks

RobP62 likes this.
  20. Jan 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    olivaresanthony

olivaresanthony Active Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB MGM
    Just ordered deAutoLED license plate lights, front turn signals and interior LED kit.:yay:

I already have their amber side markers and reverse lights.

RobP62 and RogueTacoma like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top