1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED vs HID headlights URGENT

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by '16TacomaTRD, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Sep 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
  2. Sep 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    snowbrdd

snowbrdd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, verified it myself after reading his website. My HIDs are 5500k, sometimes wish they were a bit yellower. I'll probably get 55 watt ballasts, that should lower it to about 4500k.

3. Sep 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Nice to see someone who understands the marketing hype behind blue.
    I think it was started many yrs ago because ppl who didnt know, thought hids were in expensive cars and were blue. They didnt understand they were seeing the colorband only and were not actually seeing the output of a 4300k bulb.

Then halogen makers said "people will buy blue shit cause they will think about the expensive hid look"..
    Somehow this transitioned into hids afterall i guess.

Plus the eyeball irritation of blue, must have made ppl think its brighter.

Then 1 day they used blue bulbs in dust, fog, or rain and saunted the difference.

Between 55 watts, and the natural colorshift over time, u should be happy.

4. Sep 19, 2016 at 5:26 PM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style

Yeah that sounds like a lot of BS there buddy. Just sayin... I'm up on LED tech and Phillips or TRS are not even on my radar.

5. Sep 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    All I know is that the stock headlights suck on my 17

CementTRDOffRoad and Hoff like this.
  6. Sep 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    P.16taco

P.16taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paolo
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD OFFRoad
    6k hid on my taco

20160918_222338.jpg

CementTRDOffRoad likes this.
  7. Sep 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    Quite clearly you don't know anything about headlight optics. Just because you know LEDs does not mean you know optics.

crashnburn80 likes this.
  8. Sep 19, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    '16TacomaTRD

'16TacomaTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD Sport w/ premium tech & JBL package
    What brand?

9. Sep 19, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    P.16taco

P.16taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paolo
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD OFFRoad
    I went to a local shop around me that sells em. They have a variety of hid kits starting from the cheapest which was $50 and mine was $95 comes with 3 year warranty. Not bad. He even installed mine for free. So not bad

10. Sep 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Not sure what facts you are calling BS. I'm quite curious, what LED headlights are 'on your radar' that are from a reputable manufacture that employ passive solid state cooling, use glare guards for proper headlight optics and are ideally lower in the color temp spectrum to provide higher quality usable light? The RSI's you promote, have no glare guards, use cooling fans and run 6.5k temp.

TacomaArto likes this.
  11. Sep 20, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    My vote is for HID.
    Not even a good setup but better still compared to LED
    IMG_20160920_053927_zpsfr5effhb_28d89b60539f26c1226310b11d91f35efb1cba45.jpg

TacomaArto likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    bobrown14

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    No but my wife whom has a masters degree in Physics/Optics does so I just ask her IF I don't understand. That plus I have LEDs installed on my truck and they are kick ass... the ONLY reason I went with them was to color match ALL my lights... problem solved. Side benefit is better lighting..without light scatter and haven't had anyone flash me high beams yet... the other problem solved.

I was calling out your use of fans on LEDs as "old technology" .... Its actually the power supply that needs fans not the LEDs themselves from my experience.

13. Sep 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    1. You quoted the wrong person regarding old technology.

2. Just because you don't think you're ignorant doesn't make you not ignorant. It just makes you that person that sticks their head in the sand in the face of opposing views and facts.

crashnburn80 and TacomaArto like this.
  14. Sep 22, 2016 at 12:20 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Sincerely awesome for your wife. I whole heartedly support higher education and personally think it is essential and encourage all to pursue it.

All that said.

Yeah I also have a degree, in Vehicle Design and am an engineering member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, so I am not just some guy on the internet.

Without knowing what LEDs are "on your radar", since you won't answer the question, it is difficult to know what you are referring to.

I was the one that called out the cooling fans as old tech. Because they are.

Do you really think fragile microprocessor computer circuit cooling fan belongs in the engine bay of an off-road pickup truck when the leading manufactures have already shifted to cooling methods that have no moving parts with passive cooling that will not fail? Also all OEMs also use passive cooling with no moving parts, for obvious reliability reasons. Passive cooling is also silent. Also require no power. Also not prone to vibration damage. Also much less prone to mud/dirt contamination. No moving parts. Also infinite life span on the cooling mechanism.

But I am curious on how that $0.10 Chinese cooling fan will be more advanced than everything I mentioned above.

15. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM
    bobrown14

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3

Ok - nice that you are and engineer.... show me a power supply that doesn't get hot or have the potential to get hot.

I understand how to cool power supplies AND LED. I think you said cooling fans are "old tech" .... even tho its common practice in power supply design .... look inside your computer.

Talking about outdated design... this argument can go on forever and never have any outcome any of us will agree on.

There is this one thing ... you guys that like tubes for lighting.. if that isn't outdated tech I'll eat all your light bulbs... lemme do a quick google on the origins of bulbs for lighting... wow never mind I don't need to, light bulbs were invented in the EARLY 20th Century. LED technology has been around since about 1967.

So yeah... why are we arguing about "dated" technology? Its redundant conversation. You like your bulbs and don't like LEDs fine.. don't tell me my LEDs are old tech when the bulbs you like are the tech that is 100 years old ...semantics at best. Just sayin...

This LED vs bulb conversation is OLD ... LEDs are on the way in and the bulb gear is on the way out. That's a fact you can't argue, so may as well get on board and join the fun, stop being a hater!

You'll be the last guy with bulb headlights 5 years from now and searching all over for a replacement when they burn out.. LEDs lifespan 50K to 100K hours. That's a pretty long time my friend and hard to argue.

16. Sep 22, 2016 at 10:37 AM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    This post is so full of facepalms, it's not even funny. Once again, you are just sticking your head in the sand and only listening to what you want to hear.

For LEDs vs halogens: the point is LEDs will not properly mimick the light output of a halogen bulb, and will therefore not give proper light output no matter what you want to believe. It doesn't matter how much superior LED technology is, improper light output is still improper light output. Halogens will always be available for older cars because DOT and all other transportation authorities require it.

For LED fans: when the top end brands have passive cooling (no fans) and as much or higher light output, you don't have a leg to stand on with your argument.

crashnburn80 likes this.
  17. Sep 22, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    bobrown14

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3

Ok I'm game... show me how LEDs don't output "proper light output". I'm up for learning something every day... why I read a lot.

So school me on "proper output" and how LED lights do not give said proper output?

You don't think there are LED "replacements" for the bulbs you are running currently?

18. Sep 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM
    snowbrdd

Member:
    Too much foreground light, glare, hot spots in wrong places, dark spots. LED bulbs in halogen housings always have some combination of the above. There are no LEDs that can serve as proper replacements for halogen bulbs in headlights or fog lights. The only places LEDs can replace halogens are in are marker, signal, brake, and reverse lights. And even with those, only a limited number of bulbs (not the cheap ebay ones) are bright enough and distribute the light enough to do their function correctly. LEDs as headlights require their own housing assembly, typically with specialized reflectors and projectors.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    crashnburn80 likes this.
  19. Sep 22, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
  20. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Will be interesting to see how the auto industry responds once the tech for Laser headlights gets better and cheaper. That could be years though.

Products Discussed in

To Top