1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer 100XQ owners, feedback?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rob_s, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    rob_s

rob_s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    I'm considering one, but would like to hear some comments from actual owners. I have found some threads here with the search that seem to indicate that there are leak issues at the front corners, and a few people I know personally that have owned both Leer and A.R.E. shells have all preferred the A.R.E. so I have some reservations.

If you have a Leer 100XQ and can share some of your thoughts on your purchase I'd appreciate hearing them. Especially if you have owned other toppers from other makers and can compare them.

2. Nov 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have a leer 100r. I know it's not the same model, but I can tell you the front corners don't leak. The leer dealer used some extra mastic material at the front of the bed where the rail caps meet with the rest of the bed.

The only leak I have is at one of the side "windoors". There is a seam in the aluminum window frame that is siliconed on one side of the shell but not on the other. The side without the silicone leaks. I plan to add some silicone to the seam and don't expect further issues. The rest of the shell is darn close to perfect. I think I found one spot on the roof where there is dirt in the paint, but that's it.

I have not owned an ARE, but did look at them side by side with the LEER. I actually thought the LEER looked more solid. I think they are close in quality. I went with the Leer because I did not like ARE's locking mechanism (base model shell).

Good luck

3. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have a Leer 100 XQ and love it.

Had it now for 2 years and no issues with the quality of the product.

The dealer I bought mine from told me about the leak problems before I bought it, but in their opinion it's got nothing to do with the cap itself.

They told me the leaks come from the seam where the composite bed meets the sheetmetal at the front corners of the bed.

Their "fix" for this was to put a small bead of clear silicone caulk in the seam before they installed the cap. Every once in a while I get a very small amount of water in the bed during a heavy rain storm, but IMO it's not a problem. I also have a bed mat, so the water stays under the mat, drains out of the drainage holes, and my stuff stays dry.

If I had to make the purchase again I'd do it without hesitation.

4. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Macmini

Macmini Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I have the Leer 100XQ on a 2011 DCSB for about 3 weeks now and so far no leaks (that's visible that is) or any sort of problems. It's gone through 4 to 5 days of rain but no sign of water entering the bed. The installer applied black silicone on the front corners before dropping the shell to the bed, but did it in a way that is barely visible when looking at the seam between the shell and the bed edge.

5. Dec 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    A5_GUY

A5_GUY Plopter Pilot

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    265/70R17 BFG AT, LEER 100XQ, lingering fart in the seat mod, engine tick mod
    100XQ on my DCLB no leaks so far. Love the top.

To Top