1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer Camper issues?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by GRatt, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Mar 26, 2022 at 9:54 AM
    GRatt

GRatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off road manual
    Cap and tent
    So I bought a Leer camper and had it installed last week and it's been nothing but problems. It did come in super quick like 2.5 weeks after being ordered and took maybe a weeks wait time to get the appointment for install. Seemed all great tell I got home and was able to look it over, I got a Leer 100xr with windoors, rack system and keyless entry came to $5,179.00 after install and taxes. Well while looking it over I noticed a screw had been screwed in on the back side of the windoor then taken out and screw back in a little lower and out of place, a wear spot in the black paint on the other windoor and the windows leaked a bit when hosing the shell down(with a regular hose not a high pressure washer). So I went back and showed them the defects and asked about why the windows were leaking into the camper, set up an appointment for later that day to look it over. Came back to the shop later and basically the guy at Reno Custom Truck Accessories just told me "These campers are handmade so they are not perfect but we'll test the windows". After testing the windows came back and told me "the windows are not water proof just water resistant" and that they wont warranty them. They moved just the driver side window back to try and stop the water from coming in but he rescrewed the hydraulic lift mount in and it looks like the corner of the sliding window on the windoor got chipped up. Also even though he claims they tested the windoors with a hose too, and that they simulate ran but it didn't leak. When I got home the inside of the driver side part of the caps carpet was soaked???!! I was pretty shocked they didn't want to do much about anything after spending the money I did on the camper.
    Day two of owning and looking the camper over I notice the windoor handles didn't even match, one side plastic other side metal. Don't know how I didn't notice this sooner but back over to the shop to see what they can do. I think when they moved the windoor back on the driver side the first time I went back they also changed the handles for some reason on the driver side. Luckily they had a matching set on the shelf and swapped them out. The locks that are on the new set suck compared to the other set and are super sticky but whatever they match on both sides at least.
    I also contacted Leer directly with the issues after I figured Reno Truck accessories didn't want to do anything about this but this is what I got back
    "Hello Garrett,

I’m very sorry to hear about your topper. You would need to discuss this with your dealer and they will help you through process.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help to you but that is the process.

Thank you"
    I feel like they just took my money and sent me a camper without any quality control and are now telling me to just live with it. I feel pretty ripped of and don't know what to do at this point. I looked over the warranty and even in the super lengthy writing it says it will leak under high pressure force or power washer nothing about using a hose on it and having it drip through the track of the window.
    I sold windows in past jobs and if anything like this happened no matter if it was the cheapest brand or some super custom Anderson ones we would just send it back or get it fixed no questions asked.
    Anyone else have issues like this on their campers or with Leer?
    Any suggestions?

2. Mar 26, 2022 at 10:01 AM
    skeletron

skeletron Disgraced Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Sakerlina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Broh
    Dude that's awful - definitely seems like you're getting hosed :rimshot: by the dealer and Leer. I've got a 3-4 year old used Leer 100R on my truck and it definitely does not have that issue. Absolutely zero leaks on my slider windows even when I blast them with high pressure at the dirt squirt.

Can you refuse/return it? Maybe there's a grace period for that sort of thing and you've got your complaints well documented already. Seems to me like they ought to replace or at the very least refit your windows to eliminate the leaks

3. Mar 26, 2022 at 10:05 AM
    YotaGangYotaGang

YotaGangYotaGang PreRunners are wannabe 4x4’s

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    95, 97, 01 Tacoma | 06 Tundra | 07 FJ Cruiser | 08 Prius
    A rtt i never use and 30 light bars
    You got pics? Wow thats a lot of money for a shell but covid will do that. I got my shell out of LA shells in Downey and i wanted the highest roof and i got a highroof shell protops model which is just a knockoff version of the leer or ARE highroof. Been really happy with it, got it delivered in Jan 2020 so before covid hit. Ik if the windows leak they didnt seal em right, they should remove the whole window and reseal. A lot of the parts can be found online if a strut were to ever fail. I’m happy with mine, paid $2300. One thing I notice is they use this cheap thin rubber when merging onto the bed, get the bubble top off of Amazon.

5E71E7BF-2FE1-4E81-A7D5-7F75DE3C3333.jpg
    DC787F4F-C84A-4BD2-AE01-268388469A41.jpg

TacoZmtn and GRatt[OP] like this.
  4. Mar 26, 2022 at 10:07 AM
    YotaGangYotaGang

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    3 weeks is honestly pretty fast especially now, deff was rushed and qc is a problem. Took mine A month and some change

5. Mar 26, 2022 at 10:12 AM
    Road_Warrior

Road_Warrior There is nothing on my horizon except everything

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    Wow, that’s horrific. I’ve never dealt with Leer and now I’m even more happy that I just ordered a cap from ARE instead of them.

I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with that. Maybe report them to the better business bureau?

The speed that they delivered that cap is also insane…the estimated wait time for my ARE is 15 weeks.

It seems that ARE doesn’t have good customer service either. I’ve read some terrible reviews about their customer service (not the actual products) and when I called them to confirm the estimated lead time for my order, the woman was extremely rude and then hung up on me mid-sentence after answering my question. Hopefully my cap is at least decent when it arrives.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  6. Mar 26, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    TAZMINATOR

TAZMINATOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    $5,000 for a topper? That's nuts.

I don't have problem with my topper but I had leak which came from the bed corners. I got them sealed up. Mine is a Leer 100XQ.

Sorry about the issues you have there. Hope you get it solved somehow.

7. Mar 26, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    GRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off road manual
    Cap and tent

Looks like the silver screws were re-adjusted and chipped the glass the second time in. Also the windows are super hard to open and close, but i did read in the warranty they may need to be lubed time to time just can't believe that its something they don't do for you at 5K.

Then the installer put these scratches in when first installing the camper, wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't pay 200$ for install on a 5k camper!!

whatever its a truck and its gonna get scratched I guess

I forgot to get a pic of the plastic side before it got changed.

Road_Warrior likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    GRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off road manual
    Cap and tent
    The camper does look nice but just sucks the windows are leaking. Replacing all the small defects would mean replacing both windoor frames which would mean more holes and issues so I'll just live with that but the window being chipped and leaking aren't cool and I think should be covered as I've only had the camper 3 days on the truck.

Brandi88 likes this.
  9. Mar 26, 2022 at 11:46 AM
    YotaGangYotaGang

Member:
    Covina
    Vehicle:
    Just put out reviews and see if they wana make it right, if you raise enough noise theyll listen

Das it mang and skeletron like this.
  10. Mar 26, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    GRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD off road manual
    Cap and tent
    Camper looks ready to go, wish I found a long bed manual but it was hard enough finding a short bed manual.

11. Mar 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM
    TAZMINATOR

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma

Sorry to hear about customer service.. Hope you get it much sooner.. [fingers crossed]

Keep those pictures and find an email address for Leer headquarters and go from there. Explain to them. They will work it out with you..

12. Mar 27, 2022 at 10:23 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Write a letter or send an email to the president of Leer and include pics. Explain the problems in a courteous professional way and ask for satisfaction. Do not deal with anyone but upper management, ideally the president of the company. Do not deal with a mystery voice on the phone. Inform them that if you do not receive satisfactory resolution you will be contacting the California state department of consumer affairs , the Better Business Bureau, and reporting on various social media. Inform them you will accept a phone call but will still require a written response.

LukeLifts and merlenz like this.
  13. Mar 29, 2022 at 4:00 PM
    skifishbum

skifishbum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB -> 22 DCLB
    Had some similar issues from the same place. Not as bad as OP though. Trimline seems to be a bit more professional.

14. Mar 31, 2022 at 2:05 AM
    merlenz

merlenz New Member

Member:
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2022 SL 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 / 2021 4 Runner
    That is just wrong! Do not accept any excuses from the dealer or Leer. You deserve to get what you pay for. There are consumer protection laws. They sold you junk for a premium price......Ya gotta make some noise. Do not let them intimidate you.

Brandi88 likes this.
  15. May 7, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    LukeLifts

LukeLifts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    RCI Skid Plates RCI Rock Sliders Diamondback Switchback Tonneau OTT Tune - Lite/Mild
    I saw this thread being referenced lately and wanted to add my own issues, especially for those considering getting a LEER.

I ordered the LEER 100XR w/ carpeting, bed light, and the fold down front window. It came to $3,000.00 installed. From order date to arrival date it was 4 weeks. (Installed yesterday on 05/06/2022.)

There are several spots where factory weather stripping is sticking out, excess material wasn't cut off or lined up, almost all the window frame paint is scuffed/scratched inside and out, and the paint itself has a lot of micro-bubbles and rough spots all over like it was painted in a sandstorm (especially on the roof).

I've attached just a few of several examples below...

Screenshot_20220507-143925_Gallery.jpg

20220507_124516.jpg

20220507_141630.jpg

20220507_141538.jpg

For the money I spent on what is supposed to be a trusted, established, and quality top-tier brand, I am disappointed with LEER.

It's nothing worth the hassle of returning it over and the shell is still functional so far, but damn. If I could go back in time I would find a more budget friendly brand and still probably end up with better quality.

Order a new LEER at your own risk.

Cactus Taco and Road_Warrior like this.
  16. May 7, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    TAZMINATOR

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    That's the same price for mine which I have 100XQ.

I think they are lazy to check before ship toppers out of the door. They want to hurry and catch up the orders.

Either that or shipping company might have damaged them.

17. May 7, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    LukeLifts

LukeLifts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    RCI Skid Plates RCI Rock Sliders Diamondback Switchback Tonneau OTT Tune - Lite/Mild
    Nothing looks like shipping damage or anything related to installation in my case. Like you said, it looks like very rushed assembly and a complete lack of concern for detail.

I think it's just poor quality being pumped out right now at LEER, which is unfortunate with the premium price-tag for those of us who recently bought from them.

18. May 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM
    Bishop4WD

Bishop4WD Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego until I escape Communist California
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Off Road
    Just picked one up myself. Very poor attention to detail for sure, very sloppy work. Adhesive strips poorly lined up, weather stripping misaligned and with gaps, nicks/scuffs on various areas. That said, I'm loving it so far for what it is and it is functioning well.

LukeLifts likes this.
  19. May 8, 2022 at 6:14 AM
    Georgia Native

Georgia Native Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DCLB 2017 SR5, 2019 4runner Offroad, 2021 SR Access Cab

I got the same top in 2017. Same issue with the paint bubbling. The hardware is cheap. I beat up my truck hunting and fishing, so I do not mind as much. But not cool for the money it cost.

LukeLifts[QUOTED] and skeletron like this.
  20. May 9, 2022 at 3:23 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Just want to say I think quality and quality control has diminished in general over the last few years and that includes all brands of camper shells. I bought my Leer in 2010 and the quality was excellent. Everything looked to be first class. I found no noticeable flaws. Today it still looks like new. The front sliding removable window has a very slight leak during heavy rain storms. It’s hardly noticeable. Not enough to cause any problems when I sleep back there. But again I know industry quality in general has deteriorated since I bought mine.
    I hope you get some kind of satisfaction from Leer OP.
    Here’s a pic of mine taken about a year ago.
    4CD51032-8090-4C5E-BD41-AC76876A34A2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top