1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by climber-420, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    climber-420

climber-420 [OP] I love tight cracks

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gold Ext Cab TRD 3.4L V6 Manual
    255/85/16 BFG KM2's, 3" OME lift, Dakar's, Nitrochargers, Grey Wire Mod, ARB Bumper, ARB CKMA12 air compressor, WIts End Pacifier, Warn M8000, Uniden 520 XL CB, rear diff breather mod, full time power to aux 12V outlets, Rago Fab ditch brackets, Titan Rod Vault, Extreme LED's front and rear,
    I got this Leer camper top for my 03' from a buddy of mine. Only problem with it is that the brake light up top, and light inside don't work. There is a wire with plug harness on the inside, but where do I connect it? It won't connect to the trailer harness, b/c it is too far. Any ideas? is there a way to wire it to the brake lights,like crimp on connectors? I don't want to drill holes in the bed.

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Remove the drivers side taillight. You will be able to fish three wires through a seam up underneath the bedrail and into the area behind the taillight. You will tap the wires into the following three factory taillight wires.

Green - will go to the positive wire leading to the dome light.

Green/red trace - will go the positive wire leading to the brake light.

White/black trace - you will use for a common ground for both lights.

make sure to hook up the correct positive wires to the correct wire for appropriate light in the cap. I have always piggy backed the grounds together and used one common ground like stated above. You can use wire connectors found at auto parts store (scotch locks) for quick and easy connections. Use male and female connectors inside of cap incase the cap needs to be removed in the future. I hope this helps and that you can understand what I am trying to explain.

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    climber-420

climber-420 [OP] I love tight cracks

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gold Ext Cab TRD 3.4L V6 Manual
    255/85/16 BFG KM2's, 3" OME lift, Dakar's, Nitrochargers, Grey Wire Mod, ARB Bumper, ARB CKMA12 air compressor, WIts End Pacifier, Warn M8000, Uniden 520 XL CB, rear diff breather mod, full time power to aux 12V outlets, Rago Fab ditch brackets, Titan Rod Vault, Extreme LED's front and rear,
    I am pretty sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the help. If I have any questions I will pm you.

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    No problem

5. Aug 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM
    Fiveseven108

Fiveseven108 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    I have a leer camper i want to remove but can't seem to find the harness anywhere.. is it behind the tail light??

Products Discussed in

To Top