1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer vs. A.R.E. truck caps - opinions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MusicOn, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Apr 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    I went with a Leer 100XQ (it has the upturn on the side window) with a front slider. It's only been on for a couple of weeks, but I'm very happy with the build quality and fit.

Pix as soon as I wash the rig.

2. Apr 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looks like a 100XQ

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    allcav

allcav New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma
    Does anybody know what kind of shell or bed camper they use in season 1 episode 4 Eureka tv show?

4. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Got a pic ?

5. Apr 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    allcav

allcav New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma
    It looks like a black plastic cabover! Fits in the bed of the truck. No windows more like a container!

6. Apr 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    socalenduro

socalenduro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    random thought but i have a snugtop on my tundra, works and looks great keyless entry is SOOOO nice.
    However what genius decided to but the release for the side sider windows in the middle?
    So i have to climp into the bed to open the widow for my pooches. If the handle was near the gate i could just reach in....

and defn do not get the boot. I got it for the tundra beacuse of the full rolldown electric window, but the sider kills that ease anyway. now I cannot go thru normal car washes. However once seated it does NOT leak in the rain.

7. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    Finally, those pics. . . .

IMG_0769_356f00f06f691b04b6862d82f445f7d86ea7550f.jpg

IMG_0768_62693aa403e2f7a3c661bc4094cb9eaf317a25e4.jpg

sorgon82 likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    I have had a Leer and now have the ARE on my 2011. Both are really high quality and fit well. They have different strengths and they are this:

Leer has a much better attachment to the truck, it uses brackets in the track and bolts vertically down which holds the topper tighter to the truck. ARE has flaps that come over the track and bolts to insetrs to the track system. The LEER never moved on me but the ARE moved a little at first until I made my own track mounts which were beefier and then it hasnt been a problem since.

The LEER has a lot of overlep on the edges of the outside of the bed, not a problem but looks a little funny IMO. The ARE is much better on the overlap, but they both fit well. The LEER has a better seal at the front of the bed compared to the ARE, again both work just a little different.

There are different configuations of both but I like the back door with one handel in the middle. I like this because it is quicker opening and puts less stress on the rear hinge, I think it will last longer.

I really liked my LEER and only switched because the ARE was color-matched and had windoors. If it wern't for these two I would have been perfectly happy with the LEER.

I dont really think you can go wrong with either, I just wanted to share some of the differences that I noticed having owned both. Good luck with your search.

9. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    skiracer0112

skiracer0112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver Double Cab 6-speed TRD OR
    I went with a Leer 100XR and I have been really happy with it. When I was looking at caps the Leer stood out against the ARE in that there seemed to be a higher quality to the build. The cap that the owner of the ARE dealer had on a tacoma also did not fit against the bed sides very well and he explained it as a manufacturing imperfections, which did not instill too much confidence. There also was a $150 instant rebate and free headliner on the Leer so I could afford a much higher level model than I could with an ARE.

10. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    TimR

TimR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Access Cab Black Sand Pearl
    Painted wheels black, 5100's, duratrac's, plasti dip fun, leer canopy, removed rear headrests, disabled seat belt alarm Satellite radio
    Leer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    how much did that one set you back?

12. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100RCC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Apr 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I have a leer with a bedrug on my truck. Looks great in my opinion and have gotten a bunch of compliments on it. Only problem I have noticed is that the right (pass) side of the door glass has to be pushed in additionally to closing it from the middle and it leaks a little at the back glass (not bad anymore since I am now in AZ). I do need to seal the tailgate better to keep debri from entering through the sides of it.

14. Apr 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    TimR

TimR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Access Cab Black Sand Pearl
    Painted wheels black, 5100's, duratrac's, plasti dip fun, leer canopy, removed rear headrests, disabled seat belt alarm Satellite radio
    I think about 1800?

you can call the local leer dealer and ask - i think it was the 100xq

15. Apr 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    SnugTop topper, WeatherTec mats, thats all for now
    I have an 2009 ARE CX on my DCSB. It is a really great. I have the windoors on both sides and the flip down cab window for cleaning. I also have the Thule roof rack which is a MUST if you will every be carrying anything longer than 6-8 feet. I had to carry 10ea of 16 foot 2 x 6's the other day and laid them across the top of the Thule and the OEM roof rack....NO PROBLEM. Road perfectly fine.

The only issue I've had with it actually came up yesterday. There is a plastic flange that hangs from the bottom of the rear door that overlaps with the tailgate to deflect water, debris, etc. It is really cheaply made and although I am very careful not to put any stress on it by grabbing it or torquing it, it finally snapped on me last night. It is riveted on, so not as easy as just bolting a replacement. Dealer said $50, so I guess I'll pay it, but not happy about it.

Other than that, its awesome. Windoors are great because my kids can sit bach there and get some shade with a breeze. Very convenient to get to stuff in the front of the bed too.

Also, be patient and watch Craigslist. I got mine at 1 year old (2010) from a guy that needed the money. I traded my Tonneau cover (came on my truck) and $400 for it. He gave me the original invoice and it cost him $1990. They don't seem to hold their value and can be picked up relatively cheap. I've been seeing a few of them on CL lately too...at least in Texas.

16. Apr 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    socalenduro

socalenduro Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Just drill out the rivets and but a rivet gun for 10 bucks.
    if you mess up just pay 50 buck to have them fix your mistake

Oz your truck just took me from 6 to midnight

17. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Me too on both counts but especially the right side of the glass. I have adjusted the heck out of it and can sometimes get it to close/latch both side but only exerting a bit more force than I would rather use. Now I try to just use a hand on each side.

Leer BTW. :).

18. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    If you haven't yet. You will see that the door can also be adjusted up where the hinges are bolted to the glass. Move it up just a bit higher so only the rubber flap seal on the bottom of the door brushes the top of the tailgate. Most dealers do not make this adjustment concentrating only on the latch catches on either side.

19. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    wut

20. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Boner.

Products Discussed in

To Top