1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LEO opinion

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by darkgreentaco, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco [OP] XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, All-Pro expdtn Leaf Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders LCAskids diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 35" Dynapro MT's
    About 5 days ago, a 13year old kid was walking down the street carrying an airsoft gun that was a replica AK-47. The officers pulled over, got out and said they asked the kid to put the gun down. According to the officer, the kid turned around and aimed the gun at him and his partner. The officer, a 24year veteran shot 8 times at the kid and 7 shots hit him, and he died there at the scene. The sheriff was training a guy new to the dept. This account is based off of one eyewitness and the officer who shot him. The kid was mexican and walking through a predominately mexican neighborhood in SW Santa Rosa,CA. This neighborhood has gang members that frequently have shootouts. There are tons of speculation about what happened and what the officers should have done. I am curious what other LEO's have to say about what happened and what they would have done. I'm not anti-LEO or anything, im just curious about procedure when officers encounter this type of situation. This is not a thread to bash cops. I just want opinions of LEO's as to this incident. Thanks.

2. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Germ

Germ Master Navigator/Zipper Operator

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    20" OKLED Light Bar mounted to BAMF behind grill mount, KM Fab ifs and belly skid, exhaust relocate, Removed mud flaps, Added bed d-rings. More to come.
    I have a feeling this thread will be locked by nightfall.

But if the facts reported are actually the facts, the kid just made a dumb decision. You do not walk around a Commiefornia neighborhood with any type of firearm in plain view. Period.

3. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Redneck rich

Member:
    South Miss.
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear Relentless front bumper
    What is there to discuss?
    The kid pointed a weapon at a officers and the officers reacted appropriately.

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Tough call, I would have felt threatened knowing the neighborhood. Not sure I would have needed 8 rounds.

5. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    Pearland Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma, double cab, pre-runner
    It's one of those "damed if you do, damed if you don't" things.

Last week a 12 year old walked into a school and shot up a bunch of kids. Someone probably thought that gun was a dummy.

6. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, All-Pro expdtn Leaf Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders LCAskids diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 35" Dynapro MT's
    This is not a thread to bash cops, as I stated. I just want to hear from LEOs as to the procedure the sheriff followed.
    No discussion wanted. I want to hear from LEOs and their opinion on how the sheriff reacted. That's why I put it into the LEO section.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICER BASHING THREAD!!!!!

7. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Germ

Germ Master Navigator/Zipper Operator

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    20" OKLED Light Bar mounted to BAMF behind grill mount, KM Fab ifs and belly skid, exhaust relocate, Removed mud flaps, Added bed d-rings. More to come.
    I don;t think anybody bashed any officers but ok...

8. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    Throwing it out there so it wont.;)

9. Oct 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Senior member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota tacoma Single Cab
    Tinted windows, K&N intake, 4 inch lift, Kenwood head unit, Kickers and JL 8 inch sub, 33 inch Firestone Destination A/T, Rear 5125 Bilistien shocks with 3 inch blocks plus an add-a-leaf, front 3" toytec.
    So sad :( I'd say, that the officer could have been shot, so you'd think he'd be acting in self defense.. maybe?

10. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    Absolutely tragic. However, if you are carrying something that looks like a real gun, and ANYONE tells you to drop it, DROP IT! Don't turn and point it at them! If you look at the photos, there was no orange "safety tip", there were no bright color plastics, and reportedly the kid had another toy gun that looked real shoved in his waistband.

11. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    TrooperJoe

TrooperJoe Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    I'm a 9 year LEO vet....

based on the OP's post.... if it happened like he described.... it's a good shooting and justified.

It's sad that it was a child, but regardless.... it's a legal shoot.

as far as the amount of rounds used.... Law enforcement is trained to use as many rounds necessary to stop the threat. If he used 1 or 100... it is irrelevant. It's all about perception of threat.

12. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Redneck rich

Member:
    South Miss.
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear Relentless front bumper
    :amen:

13. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    very tragic but the officer acted the way he should. It really sucks. however as stated previously, a 13 year old kid could just as easy kill you as any other age person of any gender. with as many school shootings and other things you can't be sure of what's what and who's who. very unfortunate incident. I'm sure any officer that has shot and killed someone will tell you it's hard thing to do especially when it's a kid. must be worse.

14. Oct 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    That's a tough situation for all parties involved. The parents lost a child. The officer will be scrutinized for a split second life or death decision he had to make.

Why does the article mention that he is Mexican in a predominately Mexican neighborhood. What difference does that make? I'm white and live in a predominately white - well not really lol- neighborhood. White males get no free pass to point AK47's at me. None.

Scary times we live in. Stay safe.

15. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    The residents are organizing protests and marches saying the shooting was racially motivated. The identities of the sheriffs is being kept private due to the amount of death threats received by the sheriffs dept. The residents say they are unfairly targeted by the sheriffs dept. Deportations, impounding of cars, and traffic stops are claimed to be racially motivated by the residents of this neighborhood. That's why the article is bringing race into the incident. You know the media, they love to exacerbate things.

16. Oct 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    +1

17. Oct 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    1st not a LEO. But I work for many of them in my job.
    I asked around a similar question because my daughter's BF has modified air soft guns (collection) and they look freakin real. He had one on his dashboard and I told him he was being stupid. You threaten a man with a gun with a gun, it's bound to happen. I'm sure the cop feels like shit, but he made the correct move I think.

18. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Mendocino County, CA
    Vehicle:
    SC'd 04 TRD 4x4
    Icon Ext Trvl w/ 14"x700#, LR UCA, Yukon 4.88's, front Trutrac, Dakars w/ double D6XL, Nitro LC 60065 rears, Timbren bumpstops, Manual hubs, Demello Sliders, ARB w/ Warn 9.5xp & endcap mod, CBI rear w/ swingout/boxed frame & demello plates. Rear shock relocate, U-bolt flip. 5 speed swap; hopefully soon. :)
    Not leo or hispanic. But lived in SR a number of years. And that neighbor is no bueno.

Doesn't seem from the bullet wounds he had the ability to raise the plastic gun at the officer by the time he was shot because he was at that moment turning around apon hearing their commands. Sometime a minute can take seconds. I'd like to imagine the ofcr felt justified. But then again who can know...

Hopefully police will soon be outfitted with tamperproof cameras so we no longer half to question these actions.

19. Oct 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    The police released more info yesterday. A person was driving in front of the sheriffs and said he warned the boy the police were following him and to drop the gun. The boy had his back to the sheriffs and was carrying the airsoft in his left hand and upon hearing the squelch of the siren and the officer yell at him, lifted the gun and turned to his right towards the officers. Thats when the deputy sheriff(riding shotgun), shot at him.

20. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    I would kill for a camera!!! Dude They would need to build more prisons. There's no denying or lying in court when you got them dead to rights on video. Gees I would never have to go to court again wooo hoooo

To Top