1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Les Schwab spinning me yarn about CV axles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beeson, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Beeson

Beeson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    Hey guys, tell me what you think. Les Schwab is spinning me this yarn (I'm almost positive) about needing entirely new CV axles; work for which they would receive a lusty $600 from me for. Obviously I wouldn't do this; heck if they needed to be replaced, I'd do it myself, but I think that they are fine, all it is is that the boot is ripped and grease is slowly spilling out. Why can't I just replace the boots? Am I crazy?

On a side note, I'm running the 1" diff drop with my 3" lift and this still happened. :mad:

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    to be honest....replacing the whole cv is alot easier than replacing just the boot...but yeah...you can replace the boot....and add in some grease. should be good to go....unless its popping/clicking when you turn.

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

the diff drop is next to worthess.

unfortunately, changing boots/axles is something you're going to have to live with/get good at if you choose to run that much lift.

you can get an autozone shaft for $60 or so with a liftime warranty, iirc. ..anytime you rip a boot, pull the axle and exchange it for another.

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Icon's with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 295 BFG KO2, Bora 1" spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    ^^X2... Dont bother changing the boot. Ive heard its a bitch. Way easier and faster, just to replace the whole shaft.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    what these guys said^^

I ripped a boot and replaced the whole shaft.

Don't spend $600.

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    You mentioned axle"s"...do you mean both sides for a total of $600? How many miles do you have on your lift?

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    not to thread jack but i have a feeling that my boots are going to wear through pretty soon and i am starting to look at options for new cv's. has anybody done this autozone thing and have any experience with their axles? i have read that they are not as strong as the toyota axles but for $60 with free lifetime replacement i could live with putting an extra set on every 2 or 3 years. anyone with experience, opinions would be much appreciated

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Beeson

Beeson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    Yes both sides, no I'm not going to do that obviously, haha. I'm not too sure how many miles are on the lift. I bought the truck at 176,000 with a revtech 3" lift on it and now it's at about 206,000 and I literally just switched to an old man emu lift last week. I think I'll go the autozone route and buy the shaft there. My front diff seal is going out, so this will be a good time to get that too. Unfortunatly, I've never really done these repairs before, so I'll be figuring it out slowly I'm sure. Approximatly how long would you say this repair takes?

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    there are some good write-ups out there that walk you through it. ...it may take you a couple hours your first time. ...after you've done if a few times, it takes about 30 min.

here's one ..although i think i've seen a better one somewhere.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/

another one...

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Toyota/cvboot/CVBoot_replacement.htm

i've never had to replace my pinion seal ...so not sure what all that requires. ...seems like you just remove the nut holding the yolk on and then use a seal puller to remove the old seal and then install the new one. ..but i'm not certain.

10. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Go the autozone or advance auto parts route. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

I had advance auto parts axles on my accord I used to have, It was turboed so I had to replace axles sometimes due to "pre-mature failure" :D Anytime one messed up, I took it off and they swapped it free of charge. I got to the point where I could swap out an axle in under 30 minutes.

11. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    According to the repair manual that a popular parts list for us came off of, its rated at 2.0 hours per side. I'm sure it can be done faster though, but thats what mechanics are paid for the job.

So, if you were having someone else do it, $600 seems a bit high, but probably about right parts and labor once everything is done. Considering they're removing the lower ball joint, they may have an alignment added in as well (although shouldn't be necessary, but toyota included an alignment when they replaced the lower ball joints on the recall).

As others have said, just replace the axles instead of trying to do the boot. In the chance that the cv's are toast and just haven't started making noise yet, or you miss some dirt, its just not worth the time it'll take to redo it all when axles really aren't that expensive. Guess its all relative though.

About the only special tool you'll need is a 35mm socket I believe. Rest are smaller sockets/wrenches and common tools. Also need a torque wrench that goes to 175 ft lbs (well, 174) and an allen wrench either 10 or 12mm in size for the diff fill plug, depending on your year. Impact wrench or cheat bar will probably be necessary as well, since the hub bolt is torqued to 174 ft lbs.

I'm pretty much in the same boat myself though, as I cant seem to find the source of a leak, but its getting to the point its about time to replace them anyway.

12. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I just had my driver's side axle replaced plus entire front differential replaced because..."the lift caused my axle seal to go, and wrecked my axle and diff"... whatever...

now I have a nice shiny new differential

13. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    When I first moved to Oregon from California years ago I didn't have anyplace to do my front brakes so I took my old Isuzu truck to Les Schwab. They called back with a price of $300 for the front brakes. I just about shit myself. They told me that they wanted to replace the calipers and pads and rotors. I said don't do anything! There were no leaks, the calipers and rotors were fine. They said they replace everything so they can warranty it for life. I drove it home, jacked it up, yanked the rotors, had them resurfaced and put on new pads for about $50. That was the last time I even thought of going to Les Schwab.

14. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    BSPDX

BSPDX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Schwabbies is a rip off...

15. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    1welder

1welder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony grace
    edgewood, tx.
    Vehicle:
    98' ext. cab
    toytec coilovers, bil 5100's, dakar leafs, e-locker rear,aussie front, 4x innovations sliders,cooper stt's 32x11.5x15, max 4 marathon seat covers,
    just go buy one from autozone and have the one that is tore up rebuilt. then you always have an extra in case of emergency.

To Top