1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lesson learned about paint and bird crap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    So it's been a while since I've washed my truck. It's been raining for weeks on end, so I figured what's the point? Anyway, it was a beautiful sunny day today so I washed my truck, and found this sitting underneath the spot where a pile of bird crap had been (for a week or so). I had heard people say that bird crap can ruin the finish, but I've never had any problems with past vehicles (though they weren't vehicles that I really cared about). I always figured it was just one of those things people say when they're super anal about their vehicles. Guess I was wrong. As you can see, it caused the paint to actually flake off down to the primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Holy crap! Sorry.

3. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Dang. What are those birds eating to crap acid like that.

4. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    OUCH that really sucks. I think everyone wishes someone would create a bird shit repellent

5. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    They have it is called a pellet gun.:cool:

6. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    High-Gear

High-Gear Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    It may just be impurities in / on the clearcoat. Try a claybar, or rubbing compound like Scratch X. It worked on mine!

7. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    yeah, bird crap ate the clear coat on my camry, was not a good day when i found that out

8. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    Shooting the little bastards would be fun as hell but I think the neighbors and maybe the police would have a problem with that, but who knows. :D

9. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    Okkine

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    No such luck. Unfortunately, the paint is physically flaked off (It's hard to tell in the pictures, though).

I'm pretty certain they're related to the creatures from the Alien trilogy.... If I shot them, as suggested above, the blood just might eat through the whole truck.

Haha, I get strange/concerned looks from the people in my building when they get on the elevator and see me with an axe, or slingshot, or fishing rod.... I'm pretty sure a firearm (even if it was just a pellet gun) would result in complaints to the building management (not that I wouldn't do it), but I'm sure firing it in the city would be a bad idea :(

10. Jun 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    imtwistd

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    Maybe if you try a silencer on the gun you may be able to get away with it :headbang:

11. Jun 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    thats shitty

12. Jun 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Similar damage to clear coat on my g/f's Scion tC. She taught me about how shitty Toyota paints are so I take extra care of mine. Even though she doesn't wear any jewelry on her hands, her fingernails scratch the hell out of the scalloped part of the door where the door handles are.

13. Jun 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Hell , my fingernail scratches are all there is under the driver's door handle , and my fingernails are usually bashed pretty short ( carpenter )

14. Jun 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    I agree. I don't understand what's up with this paint on these trucks. I'm forced to keep a cover on my tuck since my off street parking is located under a big bird habitting tree. My 2006 if I left any kind of bird crap or any sort of "colored" debris it would leave orange and yellow stains in my silver paint that nothing even claying wouldn't get out. It's so hard to keep the paint looking nice.

15. Jun 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    kenstar

kenstar Get a Lil Mud on the Tares

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wrenching in the garage.
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD OR
    Pop 'n' Lock, EGR In-Chan, Bakflip G2, 6112, 5160, Dakar Set. Redline hood struts. WildPeak At3. TRD Pro Wheels. Apex Fab Fog lights; Other shit I can't remember.
    Me too, OP. I went out of town with my truck on the highway. When I got back, it started raining the next couple of days. So, I figured I could go without a wash for a couple of days. WRONG, now I still have remnants of bug splats on my lower grill area, after washing it. Will eventually buy some clay to clean it.

16. Jun 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    shitty....literally.

17. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Yeah, the thing about some birds, is that they'll eat ANYTHING, especially seagulls, which we have tons of around here.

And a lot of the shit they eat aint natural shit, but more acidic shit, shit that has bad shit in it that can strip paint and shit. And when they shit that shit out, the shit gets all over your shit and eats the holy shit out of any clear coat protective shit you have.

18. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    So................pretty much its shit? :rolleyes:

19. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    Okkine

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Well, I did know it was cheap paint they use... first trip back home for Christmas when the truck was only a month old, I had half a dozen rock chips in the hood, plus two big ones on the roof. Drove my old Neon for five years, and my old Topaz for five years before that, and I think they each only had one or two chips on them. And that was in the harsh Calgary winters where there's always gravel on the roads to bombard the cars.

Plus like you said the underside of my door handle is scratched to hell, and I have reasonably short finger nails. But seriously, I didn't expect this. Eating through the clear coat is one thing, but through the paint it's self in such a short time is unbelievable.

No shit eh!! Judging by the size of the turd I'm guessing it was a seagull, which are one of the ones that eat anything and everything.

20. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Definitely sucks. I'm almost fanatical about cleaning that crap (pun intended) off. I keep a bottle of Meguiar's detail spray and a rag in the truck.

It isn't just Toyota, however. Most imports seem to have shitty paint, including the Nissan I had prior to this.

Products Discussed in

To Top