1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let see I understand what I need for a nice lift.....

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BBBsti LTD, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    BBBsti LTD

BBBsti LTD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    I am coming from a Subaru STi, I was in the Subaru community for around 5 years.

I am quite new to the Tacoma world and to the entire correct lift procedure.

I have a 2010 Tacoma DC TRD Offroad 4X4.

I drive it 99% of the time in freeways and would like to do some light offroading, nothing that would damage or scratch my new truck. Maybe once it is paid off I wil get more into offroading but right now no.

I want to get a nice lift, no more than 3" or maybe a little bit less. I want to do it the right way, from what I have read this is what I need:

Lift kit (I like the ToyTec Ultimate) that come with the AAL if I am correct and also comes with the front differential drop kit to avoid vibrations

UCA to get the truck alignment correct

Tires and wheels, I don’t like the look of the stock tires/wheels on a lifted truck

What would be widest and biggest tire to fit with the ToyTec kit without trimming? I have noticed that a lot of people have lifts kits and don’t have the UCA, are them really needed, or they just have their alignment all messed up?

At the end I still need to cross my fingers to not get any vibrations, seems like it's matter of luck!

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    the biggest tire without rubbing is a 265/75/16 (even with the lift), but i would recommend you get a 285/75/16 and do a little bit of trimming. the trimming you need to do is very minor.

i also recommend new upper control arms that add in camber (such as the total chaos UCA's). some people can get away without new UCA's and still get a descent allignment, but to be sure, get the UCA's.

with that setup, i ended up with only a slight vibration from the carrier bearing.

here is my build thread that discusses alot of what you want to do:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/114029-netmonkeys-build.html

3. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    Thanks^^^^^!

4. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Do you still have the STI?

Pictures?

5. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    No, I miss it a lot, but at the same time, I love the truck! Can't have the two.

6. Oct 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Tehachapi, CA
    Vehicle:
    14' Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100
    haha im in costa mesa too ( Victoria / Harbor Blvd)

Infact im going on an offroad trip tonight until sunday. Lucern valley.

I started off wanting to do the exact same stuff as you...

I started off with just your simple spacer lift, and I do not recommend it at all.

If you want to do some mild offroading, and still have good onroad performance. I would HONESTLY go with some Icon coilovers and some UCA's. I have icon coilovers and camburg uca's. You get your money's worth, and you also get a lift in the front with better performance offroad.

Also for Tires, again if your just doing a lot of onroad, and you want to do some mild offroading, id go with the BFG All terrains. they are very popular, infact thats what I also run on my truck. they arent too loud, but you can still get a lot of road miles with them.

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'd say this is a bit overkill. It's great gear, but it comes with a big price tag.

You can debate all day over Toytec Ultimate vs. OME and find it's most likely a personal preference.

For me I selected OME for its low cost and high quality. From my research of other people, the OME was more capable offroad (bilsteins tended to heat up more). However, I don't have any height adjustment - this isn't an issue for me, but might be something you care about.

Vibes are a hit or miss on elimination, so you get lucky or you get close and live with it.

As said before, there's really no room for bigger tires without trimming. Once you trim things, you realize "oh hey that wasn't bad". The frame relocation is a bit more work though.
    285/70 or 285/75 are most common, since they provide a proportionally taller and wider size that fills up the wheel well (after the trimming).
    There's other sizes as well, but those are more geared for offroad and require either more chops or happen to be thinner.

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Right, but if he wants a NICE lift, he really should be looking at the King/Icon/Fox tier.

OME and Toytec will do the job.

Then if you want to lift for $100, spacers, which are shit, will get the job done.

These questions should really be asked more in the terms of "I have a budget of X, what's the best bang-for-my-buck lift in this price range?"

9. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    He wanted lift. I gave him solutions that fit his lifestyle, provided good quality parts, and ensured that they would give him room to grow. He could then take the money he saved and pursue other upgrades.

Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it's a better choice. There's a point of diminishing return for each person. The question is always, "what's the choice that maximizes my benefit while minimizing my expenditure?"

10. Oct 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Best 3" lift is some aftermarket UCA's with some aftermarket CO's

As for the rear suspension go with some deavers leaf springs with Icon shocks

11. Oct 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
  12. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ...Which is exactly why I suggested the question be framed in budgetary terms. You're right, he may not want to spend that much, or may not need that much capability.

When someone says "nice" lift, that's almost an impossible question to answer. "Nice" to my mind means "top you can purchase in the category". If that's not what he's looking for, well, we need more detail.

13. Oct 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    NakedTacoma

NakedTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Covina
    Mid travel front Long travel rear
    just put on some 6IN lift with some fabtech coils and some 20 inch chrome rims and put a tacomaword.com sticker and call it a day :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top