1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let the conversion begin :P

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atalladega, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    atalladega

atalladega [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Hello all, I just joined TW the other day although I've been lurking around for a few weeks. I introduced myself to the board on the "new member" section but wanted to do it again in the 2nd gen section also.

Anyway, I purchased a 06 DC 4x4 TRD Off road, did some research on here and ordered up a 3" lift from toytec w/5100s, currently set to arrive on the 2nd of March *excited dance*. The wheels and tires came in yesterday (see pic below).

I have big plans for this little rig; I started today with the color change in the cab from grey to black, this will be on select panels. A full Black leather seat kit (arrived today) Looks amazing! I pulled the center console out and some of the trim on the passenger side to do the color change, I got as far as 3 coats on the center console and had to quit painting. I then opened the leather kit and was able to get the bottom seat trim pulled off and installed the leather; looks, feels and smells awesome! I had to call it a day real early but not until I snapped a few teaser shots. Please enjoy and stay tuned.

Last time this is going to look this way.
    [​IMG]

Removed the center console, next step prep for dye
    [​IMG]

One of the leather panels
    [​IMG]

After 3 coats of dye
    [​IMG]

Lower leather seat on, all trim removed
    [​IMG]

Just threw it in there to get a glance at what it's going to look like, very happy so far.
    [​IMG]

Just trying to dream of days to come:
    [​IMG]

pallet arrived yesterday with some goodies.
    [​IMG]

just a couple pics of my other beater
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

be back soon with more of the Taco

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    Nice wheels I haven't seen too many guys with jesters on here.

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    greenguy3

greenguy3 BOOM goes the dynamite!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dirty A$$ TRD
    Mud and dirt
    Lookin good on the interior man...keep posting pics of it! Can't wait to see that lift too

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    So, you dyed the center console? Any chance you could elaborate on that?... On a different note, looking good :D

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    greenguy3

greenguy3 BOOM goes the dynamite!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Dirty A$$ TRD
    Mud and dirt
    What kind of paint are you using too?

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Welcome! Nice paintjob on the beater.

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    What did you use to dye the console? I need to redo my passenger dash, got scratched and removed paint/die..

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    looks good man :D :thumbsup:

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    RockRescue

RockRescue Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    looks like you are in FL ? looks good so far .

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, yea they really caught my eye when I first saw them.

I'm just using Duplicolor vinyl/plastic dye. Normally i'd have some mixed up at my local auto paint store to match exactly but This is pretty close to the shade of the leather seat covers so I went that route from Advance Auto Parts.

Make sure you clean all impurity out of the panels with some mineral spirits and/or denatured alcohol which pulls all the chemicals out of the panel and leaves a good prep surface for the adhesive promotor, Dupli-color is what I'm using also this time around. Apply several coats...well just follow the directions on the cans after you prep the trim pieces and panels.
    TY TY, It gets looks, smiles and thumbs up from all ages and genders when you drive down the street. Country girls love it! :)

Thanks, Love the sig! Didn't get to go "boarding" this year...really bummed! First year in like 8 that we haven't gone. But i may try to sneak a trip in late in the season.

Good guess! We are in FL. an hour and a half north of tampa. And Thanks

11. Feb 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    i like the leather. katzkins? i painted some of my interior pieces with duplicolor vinyl and fabric. comes out good, but can wear. i did the controls on the doors and my double din surround. there were wear spots after a while. just wanted to give you a heads up. might wear on the center console armrest. none the less tho, looks good.

12. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yes, and I've dyed plenty of panels in the past however this is the first time I'm using the Duplicolor. I wanted to give it a shot and see how it stacks up to the real stuff. I'm hoping that with the proper clean and prep it will keep. Oh, and the leather kit comes with a piece just for the armrest on the center console. :p

Didn't get to do anything today, got off work late and was running around. Even missed the fedex guy who was delivering some goodies. :/ Sucks

13. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
  14. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    Hell yeah looks nice man. Subd for sure. Id like to see how everything turns out

15. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    rossivey

rossivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DCLB 4x4
    Awesome! How are you going to do the dash and doors? I have a black '06 with tan interior and would love to go all black.

16. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    IndigoTac07

IndigoTac07 Tortoise*

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma
    Looks good, welcome

17. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    ya, i did the proper prep and clean. the dye/paint didn't chip off or anything, it just faded to a dark charcoal in high traffic areas. hopefully it works out better for you. glad to hear that the armrest it getting leather as well. are you going to dye anything else?... say door panels, stereo/vent surround, lower dash piece where the 12v plugs are? just curious.

18. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    What is this dye process? Never heard of it.
    Looks freaking sweet btw OP

19. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    I was looking at it this evening, I have a 7" nav unit coming to replace the radio and that center section. I think I'm going to have to have some color matched dye made up from the paint shop to match the odd colored dash (charcolish?), then I'm going to paint the two outer sides of the center dash that are on either side of the radio where the vents are. Only reason is because the metallic finish on my truck seems to have been damaged by some kind of liquid probably coffee or soda not to mention its scratched pretty good on the passenger side. So I think I'm going to dye that to match the dash, that will also visually shrink the dash and go with the flow of the black and grey. As far as the doors I haven't decided yet, I'm going to be doing a custom stereo in here so they may eventually get wrapped in leather once all is said and done. But there will still be theme of the subtle two tone grey and black.

Thanks!

20. Feb 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    LOL, you must have read my mind. I was typing while you were posting (see above response). But I think I'm going to have to have real dye color matched for those areas and use a gun. The vent areas are too adjacent to have colors not match exactly. You know?

I haven't had any dyes fade on me yet (knock on wood) but like I said, that wasn't stuff out of a can, I'm just going to give this a go and see how it holds up. It's worth a shot if you know how much custom dye costs to mix up. :eek: LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top