1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let Wife Pick Her Own Car?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jeremy_283, Jan 26, 2012.

?

Do I Let My Wife Pick Her Own Car?..... Lol

Poll closed Feb 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

105 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Here's the question: Why aren't there any Toyotas she wants?

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    Show her the consumer report and let her test drive both....also add something completely different to the test drive, that will confuse her!

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Where am I going to find a consumer report that isn't bias?

4. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Find a wife that likes the CR-V?

5. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Well, this is from Consumer Reports website. The Cr-V and Terrain are not in the same class, but both are listed.

Attached Files:

6. Jan 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    my fiance's got a 03 beetle tdi..she wants to trade it in/sell it. I laughed, that beetle is sooo sick, can't beat 50mpg and turbo diesel. We can get her a new car but were keeping that bad boy...and its lime green WITH a spoiler so if goes sooper fast :)

7. Jan 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    /\/\ this

8. Jan 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    just be honest.... tell her your opinion and how you think this will be more reliable and will retain better value......blah blah blah,.....then say but no matter what you choose I will be behind you.... its your car you need to enjoy it

then when it falls apart you will have satisfaction

9. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    Ye're fooked, buddy!
    You could let her get her choice, wait til it becomes a lemon, then "IT'S YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WARN ME" but I tried "BUT NOT HARD ENOUGH. DON'T YOU LOVE ME?"
    Or, you could man up and tell her she's getting what she gets, she's lucky she's not walking, and make me a sammich. Door will then slam, and you make your own sammich.
    Or maybe, (and this might be a little more difficult but worth it) - Create the conditions where she will pick your choice on her own. Not convince her with word or arguments (you've already lost if you think that's possible). You got to get her to choose the way you want, but think she decided it.
    How? she's your woman - figger it out! :D
    It's easier to give up. Maybe she wants it in Hot Pink...

10. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:07 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit

I let her pick...She was happy for a minute or two...(note license plates)...
    [​IMG]

11. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Our (wife & mine) tastes in vehicles are never the same. She prefers small, almost tiny, cars that I can hardly even get into. I like vans, suv's, and pickups. In fact, the Tacoma is the smallest truck I've ever owned.

However, since it's her vehicle, she's entirely free to select whatever she wants. I don't interfere beyond looking over the vehicle at her request and pointing out any issues. She always takes my advice during that.

Anyway, she surprised me last time by purchasing one of the larger minivans, touting a need for more room to tote junk around. I've since taken advantage of that by sending her on more trips to hardware stores and similar. She's not amused, but hasn't rebelled yet. However, I do keep my distance while she's toting 2x4's into the woodshop. :rofl:

12. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

Wait....Your wifes truck is bigger than yours? :D Jk

13. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    you know how I know you're gay?

14. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    ^^^ LOL ^^^

15. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    is this a serious thread.. did she LET you pick your own truck? its her car and her choice

16. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    x2

17. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Don't make him feel bad. As they say, size doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

Hell, why am I picking on him. I drive the same size truck. :eek:

-

18. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Here's a different perspective. I certainly agree with all the "if mama isn't happy..." comments but for a purchase and commitment as large as a car, you both need to be on the same page. Talk it through, work it out but make sure you are both in agreement on the purchase or don't do it.

19. Jan 27, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    He might have removed the flower vase :D

I let my wife pick but only give her choices of the few I think she should choose between and make her think it was all her decision. She does leave the house every day and work as many hrs as I do so it's a team thing. She's the one who thought I should get rid of my ratty looking 27yr old 500k mile beater and get that silver 05 Tacoma I had before the 08 so there's that too. She's a hell of a keeper.

20. Jan 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    One of many already laid and to come.

I just let my wife choose the basic type (car or small/med/large SUV, vans are not allowed), and the color. This seems to be enough control over the purchase to make her happy, especially the color.

She loves her 4Runner. I switched her to a Highlander at one point because she wanted a 3rd row seat and they hadn't started putting the jump seats in the 4Runner. That only lasted a year -- she likes the "feel" of driving the 4Runner, more like a truck she says (I think she likes RWD over FWD, just doesn't realize what it is).

Products Discussed in

To Top