1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's hear your dealership BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Ribby, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    Just wondered what everyone else has encountered! Let's hear them stories, vent it out! Merriville Toyota, Merriville Indiana I dropped my truck off for oil change at 5k miles, and I asked them to switch to synthetic and I would pay difference. The next reply was repulsive! The guy working the service dept said the v6 4L could only take conventional and continued to ask him why, and he replied synthetic doesn't run well in these engines! I laughed and asked for a manager, after getting frustrated I told them to change the ******* oil, and then go back to school. Today is my last free change then switching to synthetic when it starts snowing good.

2. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    one time at a dealership they didn't have any real sugar, just the fake sweeteners for my coffee...it was horrible.

3. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    catattacksdog

catattacksdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Steve
    Not Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 dc
    On a routine, customer waiting oil-change, the dealer LOST MY TRUCK. From tech's bay to the wash bay, it disappeared. I have a Speedway blue truck that is very unique. How do you lose a giant smurf-colored pickup! it took 3 hours to complete a 20 minute job. Needless to say, I do my own maintenance again, even though its free at the dealer.

4. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    The horror.:eek: My dealership's water cooler only had room temp water, talk about a harrowing experience. I'll never go there again.

5. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    It seems like i'm one of the few on TW that has a good dealership.

6. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    my wife has a rav4. Her tire went flat and it was supposedly covered under the service warranty up to $150. She took it in to SERVCO TOYOTA on Oahu and the service rep told her the tire would cost $375. So after the $150 warranty she would have to pay $175.

She called me from the dealership and I told her to come home and I will call the dealership. I looked up the tire and it costed $160 EVERYWHERE else in the world. Called the dealership and the rep was firm that was the actual cost of the tire. I asked him would you pay that much for the tire? he said after the warranty you're still paying the same amount as you would with your price. So I yelled "WTF is the warranty for the?" I asked to speak to the manager and apparently her day ended at 2:00 pm cause she was done for the day.

so the next day I talked to a "manager" and he said "you were right, the tire does only cost $160." I ask him also if he would pay $375 for a tire and he wouldn't answer, he said it was a mistake. I told him you're ripping people off, but he stuck to his guns and said it was a mistake. So I told him "so all the people that don't know better are paying this mistaken amount then. You're ripping them off." He said "it was a mistake."

UGH. I get all riled up retelling this story.

kgarrett11 likes this.
  7. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I haven't been to a dealer besides to order parts in about 4 years, but I did have my local dealer refuse to honor the leaf spring TSB. This despite me showing him pictures of me towing with my truck's nose pointed to the sky.

8. Oct 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    once i signed the papers in 2011, ive never been back.

ramonortiz55 likes this.
  9. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I took my truck in for the first "free" oil change because I wanted them to see if they could find a rattle at low speeds I have had.

Started out well a real mechanic came out and did a ride along with me and said he would look into the noise.

Went to go drive my truck away and it would not move. They ended up keeping it overnight and telling me a clip in the rear brakes had failed. I have a hard time believing that because the next day I took off my rear wheels to put on airbags and the entire brake assembly had been replaced. Strange thing is the paperwork they gave me said I drove it in not being able to move, that would be hard to do.

Didn't build any trust with me.

Now my clutch squeaks like my 02 did with 85,000 miles on it only the new truck only has 11,000, and I don't know where to take it if I want it fixed under warranty.

10. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    My dealership just kicks ass as well, always has. Great people including the service dept.

GT7 likes this.
  11. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

To be fair, I'd like to hear from those who had a GOOD experience as well.

12. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Appropriatley in 2nd gen forum.

Going to ask the mods to consolidate any thread with "dealer" in the title into a single megabitch. To cut down on overhead.

13. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    My local dealer has a shitty convenience area. Only coffee and water. They also have drink and snack machines for you to buy something with card readers that won't ever read your card.

If I go to the other one they have coffee, cappuccino, juices, hot chocolate, donuts, pastries, you name it. They won't even let you get out of the truck before they are there asking your name and what would you like done.

Both are really good at the service though. Can't complain on that front. Local dealer so far has replaced my grill, all 4 wheels, and both headlights for the DTRL deal.

14. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Stocko

Stocko Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    3" ToyTec Suspension Lift, Light Racing UCA's, Spidertraxx 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Mickey Thompson 33" Baja MTZ's, OKLED 40" Cree Double Row Light Bar, GrillCraft Mesh Grille
    Mine doesn't return phone calls.

15. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    I see this as big problem. Am curious if the creamer was cloned as well.
    First world problems yes but, others matter not to me.

16. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    My dealership gives free coffee and bagels before they aggravate the shxx out of you!

Zonktified likes this.
  17. Oct 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Ripper

Ripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    the sales, management and service department have been good with the purchase and service of my truck and my sons... However; the finance guy wreaked havoc on my sons deal, to the point that we almost walked.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. Oct 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    No problems so far, oh well they washed my truck when I told them no to do that. So I had them pay for a wash and wax which they did. Their work has been good. I've got no complaints. Very friendly, and treat the customers well. Hot chocolate is a little watered down so I use two packs :drool:but I don't go their for hot chocolate. Service has been good!

19. Oct 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

The dealership I use has been great. There has been one problem that I thought was a fairly large item but after talking with the manager and owner it was resolved. They are worth driving 40 minutes and past 2 other dealers to get to.

20. Oct 16, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I bought my 2013 Tacoma off my ex-wife, who at the time was working for the local Toyota dealership, during our separation while we were still on good terms. She was a terrible salesperson and was fired after about a month working there. That being said I got a hell of a deal on my Tacoma IMHO and it was nice buying a car off someone without any sales tactics, bs, etc.

All the bs all started once I hit the finance desk. I took Toyota financing since it was at 0.9% (about 4% lower than my bank) and there finance guy was pretty good to work with on the financing. Then he got into the warranties. I haggled a bit and I did buy the 7 year platinum warranty for a few K because I figured my ex would get a little commission, but then he tried to sell me what seemed like 8 or 9 different "treatments" or "coatings" for everything from the frame to the wheels to the engine. When I said no, we shook hands and I walked out (I had another appointment elsewhere) I thought all was good.

Wrong.

I go to sign the papers the next morning and I notice he's charged me the full value of the warranty and added on all of the treatments (about $7K). I ask him WTF? He tells me that because I'm getting such a good deal on the truck he assumed I should have known I'd agreed to buy all of the extra shit too. He even tells me "(my ex) will get a check if you buy this stuff so you should get it". I told him I would walk out and buy a Ford unless he gave me the exact deal we negotiated yesterday and the sales manager approved. He reprinted the papers and I got my price. Prick.

What ticks me off is I later learned from my ex that the finance guy gets the check for commission on all the warranty and coating related stuff. The guy was trying to use my attachment to my ex to make himself a few extra grand. What a douche.

The service department has also fucked up and put dino oil in my truck when my fiance specifically asked for synthetic. When they fixed there error they then tried to charge her for both the synthetic and the dino oil service. Luckily she's tough as nails and the service manager sided with her. They then left the oil catch bottle under the filter which I only noticed as she pulled up to our house 40 miles from the dealership :(. I now do all of my own service. The dealership still calls once a month to remind me I'm overdue for service even after I've told them I'm doing it all on my own :mad:.

Products Discussed in

To Top