1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's see what you have to say...AC VS DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Dec 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Ok, so I'm back. A back story, i currently have a 97 dodge 2500, std cab, 5spd 4x4 Diesel...and It's awesome. but it takes a lot of time to maintain, and I can't get a kid into it...

So after looking all over, 1/2 ton's jeeps ect...I've settled on a V6 6spd taco...I love it. It's like a mix between my Old Wrangler and My Pickup

I was going to go with a TRD, Acces Cab, 6cyl with the 6Spd MAN. Still can hold my junk and carry some material ( truth be told I am more the boss now then the guy picking up material, but it's still nice)

I am expecting my first baby in May of 09. So i want something that can take a car seat. Now The baby will 95% of the time be strapped in the RAV-4 my wife drives but now and then I am sure she will be in the truck.

I LOVE LOVE the way the Access cab looks, and the bed is still big enough to move some stuff. Everyone says get the double cab with the long bed...but Im really not a huge fan of the way it looks, and i Have to get an auto which i really don't want.

The other option is a DC standard bed, so i have the back seat but NO bed space..

So what do you guys think of your Access and Double cabs.

For the most part its just going to be me in there, but still have to be flexible...so let me hear it...

2. Dec 31, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC.
    More room and safer for the baby.

3. Dec 31, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    DC if there's even a chance you'll put a kid in your truck

4. Dec 31, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    DC all the way with no regrets

5. Dec 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    Get the DC . If you need more carrying space on occasion, get a bed extender and you will have as much space as a long box. It will make carrying the baby much easier with the DC and still give you all the carrying space you might need.

6. Dec 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    ahigginsdeca

ahigginsdeca Higgins

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD shortbed
    3" Revtek Suspension Lift with a rear aal, 285/70/17 Pro Comp Xtreme M/T & Pro Comp Extreme Alloy 7189 wheels, magna flow exhaust, CB with dual antennas, AFE Cold Air Intake, CB Radio with dual antennas and a bull horn
    DC for sure

7. Dec 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Dbl Cab. Just for hauling my puppy, is great. Not to mention, the grocery storage space in the back seat fold down platform, and what not.

8. Dec 31, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    How many miles on the Dodge? DC with the kid. If you need to haul more stuff get a trailer, or bed extender? The long box DC look a lot better if the have a lift and bigger tires IMO.

9. Dec 31, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    GreySky72

GreySky72 Lemon

Member:
    Gilbert, Az
    Vehicle:
    08, TRD Sport, 4x4
    Double Cab all the way! specially if you have kids!

10. Dec 31, 2008 at 5:04 PM
    roggs01

roggs01 Roggs01

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    Predator steps,Method NVs, 285-70-17 KO2s
    100% for Sure... DC short bed plus the bed extender.... Hauling family and any work load you may have... Everyone is happy

11. Dec 31, 2008 at 5:13 PM
    1tacoplease

1tacoplease I like my truck!

Member:
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    2008 BSP 4x4 6 speed
    265/70/17 BFG RT's, FJ 17" rims with 1.25" spidertraxx Debadged, HID's, URD short shifter, Bilstein 5100's in the front, TSB and 1" block rear, URD TCAI with maf calibrator, JBL long tubes, DT Y pipe, Gibson exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pioneer stereo, Bak flip G2 tonneau, TRD skid plate, MB Quarts all around with dynomat, Viper Alarm with motion sensor
    I just like the way the AC looks but the DC's are definitely more popular. The tacoma has the best looking DC truck but I got the AC to keep everybody else out! I hardly drive my truck with anyone else in it, so if you are planning on having passengers, DC seems the way to go.

I like the AC looks a lot better, just my opinion! I'm selfish!

12. Dec 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    DC Long bed. I like the room.with the lager bed.

13. Dec 31, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I prefer the Access cab, and I did jam a car seat (still do!) and another kid as well in there. I just like the way the Access looks better than the DC, but we also have a Camry to take if the whole family takes a longer trip.

14. Dec 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Here's what I said in the second thread you posted on this topic:

15. Dec 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM
    hwork50

hwork50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 AC
    DTRL, Skid Plate, Bed Extender, ipod hook up in glove bo, bed mat, rubber mats, Garmin GPS, 2.5"Toyotec lift with 5100 shocks and Eibach springs.
    I have the AC and I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. It is fine with them but I do not know if I would want to put a new baby back there. My 5 year old sits up front on a booster with the airbag off, and my daughter weighs like 30 lbs and sits in the back with lots of room.

I dont know it is up to you. I found out we were prego with our 3rd after I bought the truck.

Brent

16. Jan 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Double Cab for sure. I have 3 kids and they all fit. It's amazing how much room car seats take up though. It'd be a long bed/short bed decision if I were you.

You say "NO bed space" with the standard bed?? Guess it depends on what you plan on hauling. I have stuff hanging out and strapped to my short bed all the time. If I lived in the country I'd be happy with a long bed, but to park one in a city would be more challenging. A short bed is nice to park/maneuver. Depends on what you haul and where you'll be driving/parking I'd say. Don't get too hung up on looks of short bed/long bed, you'll love most what works for you.

17. Jan 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    As much as I love my Access Cab, I'm starting to like the Double Cab more and more each day. I don't really need the room now, but I can see myself needing it in the future.

18. Jan 1, 2009 at 1:26 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    ^^^^ i think Derek said it for me too. didnt care for the DC a ton at first, now im thinking of trading my truck for a DC SB TRD:OR and Auto tranny. the 6speed's fun and all but i hear the auto gets better mpgs and for some technical 4 wheelin and all the towing i do it would make it that much easier for me. The access cab is Okay but i think the DC with the extra passenger/storage room and for me, having room for a sub/amp behind the seat and out of the way on top of it is whats finally done it. price and bed size vs. truck length is what turned me away originally but hey, cant always satisfy everthing all the time.

19. Jan 1, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    Greenblazer

Greenblazer Thread Killer

Member:
    Phoenix. Aridzona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Dblcab SR5 Black
    Home Made Tonneau, The Baba Booey Mod... Sirius Satellite Radio
    Kids Grow, and Toyotas last. You will eventually need the DC, and having the extra room for adult friends might come in handy. I am a manual transmission fan too, but I settled for the auto, and am glad I did. I love my DC.

20. Jan 1, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    AC works good for me. I have two kids 1yo and 2yo. 99% of the time they are strapped in our Explorer but on those special occasions (i.e. getting the Christmas tree) we can stuff them in the Taco. It is a tight fit for sure but it does work.

Products Discussed in

To Top