1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lets talk EBC Brakes and Rotors

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by iJonny, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Justus

Justus resident Apple Pie Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I'm running the ebc stage 5 and I would definitely appreciate the links to exploding ebc slotted rotors.... Not being sarcastic, I'm on my phone and headed to the docs, and would like to read up on this when I'm in the waiting room.

I've heard for many yrs that its the crossdrilled rotors u must worry about due to cracking.

2. Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I didn't say anything about the EBC rotors themselves, just that similar style rotors that are slotted to the edge have been known to explode under heavy breaking conditions (namely track) which wouldn't be too drastically different from off-road abuse I'd think. The link was on 3si.org a long time ago, a member there had it happen to them personally on their vr4. I'm not gunna go digging for it though lol.

Just a word of caution is all. They'll probably work perfectly fine, but knowing its' a weak point... I personally wouldn't run them myself... is all.

3. Justus

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish

I'll look into it I guess when I get home.
    I'd def like more info about slotted rotor issues.

4. TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Off road DC aka (Charlotte)
    Bilstein hd's, hunter bull bar w/ KC apollos, vent visors, Cooper AT3's, grey wire mod, KnN filter, Kenwood head unit.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Off road DC aka (Charlotte)
    Bilstein hd's, hunter bull bar w/ KC apollos, vent visors, Cooper AT3's, grey wire mod, KnN filter, Kenwood head unit.
  6. AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab

Not sure where you getting that from...I have had them on both my '09 and '02 Taco's with TRD Offroad package with zero problems...in stopping power, modulation (on road or off)...

7. iJonny

iJonny [OP] TACOMA, If I wanted a HUMMER I'd call your mom.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky Metallic DC O/R 4x4
    MT build in process
    I have the rear lines and ordered the fronts last week. I should be installing them this coming Friday. I have also bypassed my ABS with a switch.
    I dont need pads for awhile yet but I will be bleeding down the whole system with the line swaps. I will post my results then. :D

8. 05TacoRunner

05TacoRunner You say tomato..........I say fuck you!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Peoria, Az
    Aftermarket nuts and bolts
  9. signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R
    Personal experience and experience from other owners.
    ultimately it's up to you, but after i installed stainless lines on my 4Runner that had the similar braking system as the off-road, i removed it as it was dangerous under panic situations. The brakes become alot more touchier and on/off than having a linear braking pressure.

In crotch rocket terms, its like having a 19 x 18 master cylinder vs a 19 x 20.

10. iJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MT build in process
    HAHAHAH!!

11. Justus

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Really?

I've had my ss braided lines for probably 4yrs now, and I actually run my truck (for the last two yrs) with my ABS OFF all the time.

Truck stops just fine.. I've never accidentally.locked the wheels up.

12. iJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MT build in process
    I appreciate the spirited replies and all of the help. I will have the lines done Friday (Thanks to Jason) and will let you guys know how different it is.

13. iJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MT build in process
    Jason comes though yet again and helps me make the modifications to my brake lines. I had purchased lines that are 3" over stock. We ended up having more than enough line at full droop so we removed some of the line and made a few small bends to get the angles correct. Ive been driving on it for about 100 miles now and there is a considerable difference in the pedal pressure and how the truck is stopping.
    We will be taking the trucks out next weekend for further testing and I will report back at that time

14. T4C0CH40S

T4C0CH40S RINZLER

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    THE RECTIFIED PRERUNNER
    ADS Racing Shocks | Dirt King | KMFAB | Pelfreybilt | BruteForceFab | Total Chaos | HomerTaco | Toywerx | Tepui | MaxTrac | ICON | Stealth Custom Series | Stealth Runner 8 | Hankook M/T | SDHQ | ICON | TRS | Morimoto | Rigid Industries | VIP | Jumpers LEDs | Wet Okoles | Trailer Products | McNeil Racing | ECGS | AFe CAI | IAS | ...Check out my RECTIFIED BUILD>>>>>>>>>>>
    Now I need to do this! After bleeding my rears my brakes have become super spongy! But I'm way overdue for some extended SS llines front and rear

15. bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    11 D-Cab Off Road
    TRD S/C IPT Valve Body Mod AFE Stage 2 Si CAI ToyTec AAL Bilstein Adjustable Front shocks Eibach front coils Bilstein 5100's rear shocks Light Racing UCA's TruxEdo cover Lo Pro QT, JVC KW-NT3HDT, Toyota Front Skid Plate, Avid Off Road Side Steps Gibson Cat Back Exhaust HOMERTACO Grill Don't steal my tailgate mod Front Diff drop kit Carrier drop kit EBC Stage 5 Brake Kit Classic Soft Trim Leather heated seats WeatherTech Floor Mats Hella Supertone Horns (painted black) BedRug
    I PM'd Justus a while back on his setup (EBC Stage 5 setup). Also have the SS lines, however I've yet to get them installed.

After 200 miles of easy braking the EBC Stage 5 setup now has much improved feel and stopping power over stock. I've just now started to hit the brakes harder and there is definitely much more of a bite than the stock setup. I was also getting a slight vibration on my stock rotors when slightly hitting the brake pedal. The original setup had 27K miles on them and I still had pad left, but the rotors were a bit warped.

There is much more brake dust with the yellow pads. Can't tell on my setup since I have the anthracite FJ SE wheels, but one swipe with my finger on the wheels shows a lot of dust.

I also used the DIY links on this site to do everything myself. Took a bit longer than the stealership, but my wheels are also not torqued over 130lbs.....and it was pretty easy to do.

Interesting I opened the bleeder to take the pads out and the color of the fluid was a bit darker than what was in the reservoir. Bled both sides until I got a nice light gold color out of the bleeders and refilled the reservior.

Love this site for info like this. And thank you Justus for the great recommendation on Stage 5 setup.

stage5.jpg

16. iJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MT build in process
    Nice looking set up man! You still have a sway bar???

I forgot to report back after I went wheeling on this thread. The combined steel lines with the abs kill made a huge difference! I've done about 80 miles off road and loved every min. Not one peep from my abs and not one scare that I couldn't stop. At this point I'm going to wait for my pads to wear completely before I look towards a new pad. I will not be going with drilled/slotted rotors though.

17. bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    11 D-Cab Off Road
    TRD S/C IPT Valve Body Mod AFE Stage 2 Si CAI ToyTec AAL Bilstein Adjustable Front shocks Eibach front coils Bilstein 5100's rear shocks Light Racing UCA's TruxEdo cover Lo Pro QT, JVC KW-NT3HDT, Toyota Front Skid Plate, Avid Off Road Side Steps Gibson Cat Back Exhaust HOMERTACO Grill Don't steal my tailgate mod Front Diff drop kit Carrier drop kit EBC Stage 5 Brake Kit Classic Soft Trim Leather heated seats WeatherTech Floor Mats Hella Supertone Horns (painted black) BedRug
    Thanks. Your truck is pretty sweet as well.

Yes...still have the sway bar as the majority of time I spend is back-n-forth to the airport.

Hoping to get the SS lines installed next weekend and bleed the remaining fluid through the system. Should be good for another few years.

18. iJonny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Hades, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MT build in process
    There are some mean curbs to crawl at the airport :D

19. Justus

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    I'm glad ur happy with the setup, and happy u were aware that the braking becomes better after a few miles. Sorry to not inform you well enough about the dusting, I based it off of looks and not by wiping my finger across the rims. I guess it is hard to tell on some rims.

At least there's a couple of us with these now and its not just my sole opinion, and u have shown that I may have underestimated the dusting, so thats good.

I've noticed that even tho these are not drilled (I'll never run cross drilled), the black coating comes off the face quickly (no surprise at all because thats normal) but the dimples catch a little dust and LOOKS like a cross drilled rotor. Just something I like.
    They morph from black face and brushed slots and dimples, to brushed looking face with dark dimples. From what I can see in the dimly lit garage, the hat is still black tho

Happy braking gentlemen, and as always feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.

20. Justus

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    didnt see this when I posted earlier with my phone........ ur rotors had arrows?!

NICE!

[​IMG]

heres mine out of the box................. no arrows

[​IMG]

To Top