1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lets talk gas containers

Discussion in 'Towing' started by trib, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Aug 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Our trucks don't have the largest tank in the world--21 gal--so what's a good gas container to buy? I see lots of pre-runner guys with the big plastic containers with long flexible nozzles. My uncle uses round steel containers with spring-enabled caps and loves them. Then there are the 4 wheelers with their square-ish cans that fit snugly on the back of their swinging tailgates.

What gas container do you use and how would you rate it? How easy it is to pour, and how bomb proof is it?

2. Aug 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't think there's anything magical about gas cans....

What are you using it for?

You can't beat the durability of the steal Jerry cans. We have two Blitz jerry cans.

[​IMG]

http://www.blitzusa.com/index.htm
    The only thing that sucks about the ones we have - is the nozzle system. It sucks and hard to use (in the picture). Seems they don't make those nozzles anymore (according to their website) - and I wonder why, they suck! Laugh
    We ended up buying a steal long-neck nozzle that we have to swap in when we use it.

3. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    What I hate are the "low-flow" nozzles they all come with now. I ended up cutting the end of the sucker off and carving a wooden plug for the end.

4. Aug 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Wellington, NV.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 33x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black RBP 93R rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    We are also using the Blitz Jerry Can, and i love it. Plus it matches my RAD RED Taco!:D

5. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars w/Thules ski and bike attachments, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, roadmaster active rear suspension, more when $$$ allows
    I'm using a Blitz plastic 5 gallon but I may switch to a steel one. I don't like how here in California they don't allow the automatic pressure relief valve like they use to so the plastic containers have a tenancy to expand. Not sure what their breaking point is but I don't want to find out. I still have one of the old style cans as well but it's only 2 gallons so it's used for my lawnmower. It never expands since I just leave the relief cap open.

I think the metal cans are easier to mount as well since they make specific trays to accomodate them whereas the plastic ones aren't mountable. Even if you don't put it on your bumper having the tray mounted in the bed makes them more secure IMO.

6. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i've got 4 Scepter fuel cans that i can use if needed.... now they are tough!

7. Aug 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never knew static electricity could ignite gas when filling...thanks for the heads up.

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Black Tacoma

Black Tacoma Member

Member:
    Spfld MO
    Vehicle:
    01 Crew TRD

No offense meant to the guys with the Blitz cans but they really are pieces of crap. Scepter MFC's are the way to go. They are hard to come by but I have a local source if anybody wants some.

Grove

9. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    Scepters here, great cans!

To Top