1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's Talk Money

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by Styx586, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Jul 30, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I think it’s important to clarify what I do and why I do it.
    Like I said earlier, I am NOT a Financial Advisor. I am not registered or licensed by FINRA or the SEC. I do not advise people on what investments are best or how much they should be putting away for retirement.
    I am not here for the 35 year old guy making $180k/year with $1M in assets to advise him on how to optimize his investment strategy. That’s not what I’m about.
    I am a Financial Coach. Check out this article if you’re unsure of the difference. https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/financial-coach-vs-financial-advisor

I am here to help people who have an unhealthy relationship with money… The 22 year old kid who grew up in a house that was broke with a Dad who told him he couldn’t get ahead because “you have to grow up with money to retire with money”… The newly single Mom with 2 young kids who now has to figure out how to make a budget and build her confidence in the financial world… The 58 year old guy whose wife just passed, she always paid the bills and now he has to figure out how to operate the household money.

I am qualified to speak into these people’s situations because I’ve been there… I was that 22 year old kid. I’ve gone through the process of reading the books, studying how personal finance works, working on my own mindset and challenging my own preconceptions. I’ve also gone through a training and certification program on Financial Coaching with the Ramsey team. And I practice what I preach… I have paid for coaches and I currently have a business coach and mentor. I’ve worked in lucrative sales positions and worked with coaches and mentors on how to improve my game.

I am here for the guy or gal reading this thread who hasn’t responded because they’re embarrassed about their situation… If this thread challenges that person to look inward, challenge themselves, and DECIDE to change their future because they have the power to do so, then I’ve accomplished what I set out to do.

2. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Well-known member, but no one cares.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    I can see how the thread got a bit sideways. Maybe more descriptive title or description like a life coach for money would clarify it. Helping make good choices.

Like pay rent, don’t buy meth. That sort of thing. (Unless you can afford both)

stacksmasher and Toyko Joe like this.
  3. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Styx586

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    It would be helpful if most people read my first few posts in the thread... lol.
    I actually said this isn't a conversation about investments per se... and I never claimed to be a financial advisor because I'm not.
    I talked about personal development, limiting beliefs around money, and how our thoughts affect our financial situation.

And as a side note: I consciously chose NOT to put this thread in the "Stocks and Investments" forum because I didn't want to give people the wrong idea. I originally posted this in the "Off-topic discussion" forum, but the mods moved it here.

Mastiffsrule[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    That might be the dumbest comment I’ve read in this thread yet. You seem to have a very skewed and ignorant view of money, wealth, and professionalism

5. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    CPS-65

CPS-65 I’m good for some, but I’m not for everyone.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alta Loma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD Off Road 4X4
    Mostly old man mods
    We just set aside saving in a separate account we control to pay for K-12 private and college. That’s our money and we weren’t going to cede any control over it. No school, no money. K-12 was paid for a year at a time which gave us a discount. College tuition, books, etc, paid for each semester. We are finished this December when my youngest will have earned her Masters. My daughter never mentions we have paid for school for her to her colleagues or friends, many of which are drowning in loan debt. She also isn’t interested in any “privilege” conversations about it either. My son would just tell someone to mind their own damn business.

Bannerman[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 30, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    shaeff

shaeff Roaming Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB SR5 6MT 4x4
    Just called up the bank that holds my mortgage. I can refinance to a 15yr fixed for 2.625%, monthly increase would be about $200 and they won't require my taxes in escrow.

At the current rate that I've added extra onto the principal I'd pay it off 3yrs 4mo early. Not fantastic. (8/2041)

Refinanced to a 15yr, I'd save an additional 6 years on the mortgage, paying it off sometime in 2036. (and I'd only be sending another $100 on top of what I currently send anyway, easy.)

I'm not super happy about that interest rate, I'd prefer it closer to 2% than that, but I'll keep looking around.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  7. Jul 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anyone want to talk about the dumbest stuff they've done with a pile of money?

I've had my fair share of follies.

Iwilltaco and Mastiffsrule like this.
  8. Jul 30, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    Styx586

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Financed a brand new dirt bike with no money down. :anonymous:

I've come a long way since then :rofl:
    That decision was actually one of the things that pushed me to realize I was doing all the wrong things... Live and learn!

Toyko Joe likes this.
  9. Jul 30, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    :rofl:
    Bought a Tacoma:rofl:

Fohu likes this.
  10. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    Iwilltaco

Iwilltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kairo’s guest house having a water with @not_nick
    Under development
    Now this is an idea I can get behind

Mastiffsrule likes this.
  11. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:14 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    It’s so much worse when you don’t have the pile of money to back it!

I can’t say I didn’t buy a Yamaha on a cc with an introduction rate. :anonymous:

12. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    I got one that can’t be beat, if it really happened? I may OR may not have financed a GSXR 600 in college no money down while living in an apartment complex. The first payment for insurance may or may not have bounced and insurance dropped. The bike may or may not have then been stolen from the apt complex while insurance was or was not lapsed.

I will leave the rest out, it gets worse.

Edit, funniest part is I am/was an insurance adjuster and investigator for 20 years as a career

Styx586[OP] and Iwilltaco like this.
  13. Jul 30, 2021 at 6:30 PM
    Styx586

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Brutal :annoyed:

14. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    stacksmasher

stacksmasher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dude was talking about being rich and a quick Google search determined he was probably average. Why is that ignorant?

15. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    Styx586

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I’m gonna go ahead and reiterate ^THIS.

stacksmasher likes this.
  16. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    Why Google him? It is his business. If he is telling the truth or lying, what does that do for you? No one else here will care.

Money makes people’s priorities whacked sometimes. This is why I left my job in June. My priorities were everyone’s but mine and my families. I was working constantly, no life enjoyment. I was mentally baked, in a high stress job dealing with difficult customers and thankless company. I also began to health issues.

I had a choice, one path is prioritizing money and hope I don’t have a stroke behind my computer or make a change. I made a change. If I need to sell my house and downsize, or liquidate, or live a different lifestyle to be able to be with my family and live the way I want, that is what I am doing. I control my life, not money.

Everones situation is different. Some enjoy always working, not me.

stacksmasher[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    stacksmasher

Member:
    Sounds like you picked the wrong profession. If you do what you love its not work.... its passion!

18. Jul 30, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    I agree 100% there. Hated my job for years. IT SUCKED but paid mad money, so.

19. Jul 30, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    apreston1

apreston1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    You miss the mark by just a bit…do what you love, but if that doesn’t pay your bills it’s a fools folly. I’m reading a lot of articles about student debt and people pursuing advance degrees from elite (expensive) schools (e.g. Film) who run up huge debt with no chance of financial security or stability yet they want society to bail them out. Your premise is stupid if your individual circumstances cannot support your aspirations.

CPS-65 and stacksmasher[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Jul 30, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    stacksmasher

Member:

You are confusing stupid people who want to go to college and not work. Most people are not driven enough to work and go to school so they borrow money to fund their lifestyle and pay for a degree that is total bullshit! Its stupid. I was making money as a roofer/welder right out of high school and had enough to pay for school and still have a home and some goodies. You know how much me and my buddy made roofing houses on the side? Several thousand in a weekend, was it hard work? Of course but I knew it would pay off eventually.

The solution is simple just Google "Top ten highest earning degrees" and go from there... like I said before, it's not rocket science!

Products Discussed in

To Top