1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's Talk Rear "LT"

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by erok81, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:26 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Ah...okay. I'll definitely be looking over everything when I go pick it up, but that probably won't be until Friday. Damn work getting in the way.

Thanks man.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    dillonk1602

dillonk1602 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dillon
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 5 lug
    Vehicle Modifications: TACOMA 2007 FRONT TOTAL CHAOS 5LUG ,LONG TRAVEL KIT 13" OF TRAVEL KING COIL OVER (550 POUND SPRING RATE) (18 INCH COIL) REAR BED CAGE 16" SMOOTH BODY FOX SHOCKS 2.5 2.0 / 2.5 BUMP STOPS FOX ICON ADD LEAF PACK WITH OEM SPRING 11" OF TRAVEL TRUCK COMES SPRING UNDER BY MANUFACTURE TOYOTA REGEAR TO 4.0 WITH AUBURN UNIT ENGINE 2TR-FE WITH AFE COLD AIR IN TAKE DOUG THORLEY HEADER MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST TIRE S NEW KO2 32/11.5 METHOD RIM 15" WITH -20MM OFF SET

everyone that i have talked to about the kit says the same thing about the bushing and they ended up putting different ones in ...

Tango Bravo[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    Tango Bravo

Tango Bravo Sailing the Seven Seas

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4, The Green Rubber Ducky
    Chaos 3.5" Race LT, RJ Fab Cantilever LT
    For me, its the bushing thats circled. The whole flair end of the bushing looks worn through at the base and peeled right off. The other side is starting to bulge in a similar manner, and I'm expecting the same to happen soon.

Inked0D0A6619-A514-415C-A1D1-B7A483269771_LI.jpg

4. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    dillonk1602

dillonk1602 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dillon
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 5 lug
    Vehicle Modifications: TACOMA 2007 FRONT TOTAL CHAOS 5LUG ,LONG TRAVEL KIT 13" OF TRAVEL KING COIL OVER (550 POUND SPRING RATE) (18 INCH COIL) REAR BED CAGE 16" SMOOTH BODY FOX SHOCKS 2.5 2.0 / 2.5 BUMP STOPS FOX ICON ADD LEAF PACK WITH OEM SPRING 11" OF TRAVEL TRUCK COMES SPRING UNDER BY MANUFACTURE TOYOTA REGEAR TO 4.0 WITH AUBURN UNIT ENGINE 2TR-FE WITH AFE COLD AIR IN TAKE DOUG THORLEY HEADER MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST TIRE S NEW KO2 32/11.5 METHOD RIM 15" WITH -20MM OFF SET
    damm that suck

I would call Tim at DMZ fab and see what he has to say about it ... also the reason why i never went with that kit is because c.a.m.b.u.r.g customer service is not the best and
    that why I did TC all the way around because of the great customer service.

Tango Bravo[QUOTED] and Coot83 like this.
  5. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    I know this feedback can be subjective depending on the person, but I had the same experience from burg which helped me pull the trigger with TC as well. Sad to see that this is a possible fatigue item in their kit. That said, I know if the hanger isn't installed relatively correct that any SUA kit could be subject to a bushing failure.

Tango Bravo likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Tango Bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I'm planning on calling him. Hoping I can just replace the hangers. I also need to call the shop that did my cantilever and make sure that won't change any geometry...

7. Oct 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    Tango Bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Both myself and a few people I've talked to feel that way about burg. Almost like they're getting a little too big for their own good. I'm going to call them too, just to see what they say . I'll drive it out there and show them if I have to.

I feel that if you market a bolt on sua kit, then it should work as such. If it needs more than that then say so.

8. Oct 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I have had a pretty good experience as far as getting information from them on the kit. With the issues on the bushings now I am worried. That being said, my bushings on my Total Chaos lowers were always mushroomed and skewed to get it into alignment and I have seen a fair number of other people with the same issue. Delrin helped immensely.

buyobuyo and Tango Bravo[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Oct 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    LONG RANT BELOW:

That was exactly my problem with them...it seemed they got touchy if you inquired too much about their stuff. My situation was that I was considering an older 3.5 kit from a member for a decent price. Granted, I know a used LT kit is always a can of worms, but I talked to them about whether if they made axles for it. They stated that their new 3.5 cv axles shafts have a 50/50 chance of working because they didn't have drawings on the old kit to verify dimensions so they could not intelligently answer this. They had also stated that the first version of their second gen kit was only produced in a very small quantity due to a redesign.

Since I was considering buying an older kit...I wanted to know WHY it was redesigned. They said that they wanted a bigger uniball design and that is what drove the kit. I figured...hey man no big deal if I had a smaller size uniball as TC and most of the others have the 1 inch still I believe. Considering how short the sales guy (Jose?) was about it, I got the vibe he was hiding something in the response as obviously if the kit was not designed well...then yea man that would TOTALLY change any notion to buy it whether it was used or not.

I called the man, good ol' Tim from DMZ as he is always pretty straight forward. He knew right away as I started to explain what burg kit it was, turns out they pulled it cause the first group of guys were destroying their front on small bumps that a mid travel set up could easily be driven on. He said the angles on the downtravel portion of the kit were really whacky and that Tim even custom fabbed two of the kits to correct the kit. Because of this, they pulled the kit pretty fast...hence why they didn't want to disclose anything besides a bigger uniball.

At this point I was digging the eagle graphic and was on the boat to just order a new kit until I heard the story from Tim. That shit almost turned me away as to me they were not transparent at all about their stuff which to be honest would have only pushed me towards a new kit instead of used if they had disclosed this (kind of funny when you think about it). But what really sealed the deal for me was I asked about specs/install instructions about their 3.5 kit for figuring if a shop could handle it and they said they had some basic reference, but that they didn't really have any drawings/literature to send me about it.

Keep in mind at this point, I had already had the TC mid travel rear that damn near captured anything about the install that you could think of. When I heard about the lack of material for the install, I said I was done with this mystery bullshit. I went with the 3.5 race kit from TC and man I never looked back.

On a similar note, my boy got their 3.5 kit for his runner and was with a TW member who is a fabricator down in SC to get it installed. The fabricator was pretty puzzeled to have nothing to go by in the install. He was like "yea sure the bolts make sense, but no torque values for anything?" I eventually sent him the TC spec PDF install for them to use in reference to all the torque downs which by the way had a bunch of weird fitment issues and didn't help that they bonered things by sending out the wrong axles from the get go and took 3 weeks past their expected timeframe to build the kit when they knew my buddy had limited shop time set up to install. It was almost a month of pain for him to fully get the kit where it worked right. What urks me the most though is Im a mechanical engineer which I rarely throw out, but when I design something the customer is expected to receive a spec sheet of the parts, install literature, and of course drawings and other supplied documents. Its sad to think that if I worked at burg, I could simply just give parts for a kit that has a considerable install knowledge base and be good with that knowing that the customer might have jack shit for knowledge on its install or even implementation...then I get to reference my sole competitor in the 3.5 game as they have all the documents. Pretty ignorant of a sales tactic to me, especially when they argue that "if you don't know how to install an LT kit, you shouldn't be attempting it," which is the bullshit they told my buddy and his fabricator when they asked questions about it. Which says to me in a way that you don't care to help folks that arnt on the west coast with knowledgeable shops and/or that you don't care to sell your product to a new guy. Don't get me wrong, many guys install their kit without issue, but at 3k for the kit...I expect a little more.

That said, my boy has his burg kit for sale and is going with LSK...shocker right?

@misdirection1982 in case you want a good read.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. Oct 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    Tacomoto23

Tacomoto23 IG: Tacoma_Carey23

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Torrance,CA
    Vehicle:
    11’ TRD Prerunner / 21’ TRD 4x4
    Replacing the hangers won’t do you too much good. You’re going to just have to get new bushings to fix the issue. Cool to see someone leaked pictures of my truck on here.

Nobody said LT was going to be easy... Nothings perfect and as you all know, this stuff requires extensive upkeep.

As far as Camburg customer service goes, I’ve had noting but good experiences with them and they’ve always taken the time to answer all of my appropriate questions.

11. Oct 10, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Tango Bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking maybe if it would bring everything back square. I'm going to try higher quality bushings first and go from there.

12. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    glorifiedwelder

glorifiedwelder IG= @Liquid_Torch

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    Santa Clarita, ca
    Vehicle:
    double cab trd sport
    If the leaf spring perches we’re welding on in the correct location it would also cause the issue you’re having. Next time you install new bushing completely unbolt the axle from the springs and once the new bushing are installed see how close the perches are to the width the springs naturally want to sit at.

13. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    glorifiedwelder

glorifiedwelder IG= @Liquid_Torch

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    Santa Clarita, ca
    Vehicle:
    double cab trd sport
    Tc has great customer service but the two kits aren’t even remotely comparable

dillonk1602[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    Tango Bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Ill take a look at it when I go to replace the ones I have.

Yea just looking at the product photos on the two sites, the 'burg stuff looks much beefier.

15. Oct 10, 2018 at 11:35 PM
    erok81

erok81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I’d suggest thinking long and hard before you do!

16. Oct 30, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    I didn’t read any of this thread, but, DTF fab and DMZ have the best rear LT kits on the market IMO.

upongame619 and Coot83 like this.
  17. Oct 30, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    You aint wrong.

upongame619 likes this.
  18. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Tango Bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    So I talked to burg and they gave me some delron bushings to try. Installed them yesterday. Not super confident they will last any longer. But they said if these fail, they will look into replacing parts. At least it seems like they're standing behind their product.

Coot83, xx3xil3xx, Spintly and 2 others like this.
  19. Feb 27, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    Bobby18

Bobby18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner
    DTF +6 LT, Kings 2.5x10 C/O, 2.5x2 Bump, Adv Fiberglass 1 Piece Conversion
    Anyone know the part number and where I could get a set of the Deaver leaf springs that reuse all factory mounting locations but are SUA?

20. Feb 27, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    DannyBFresco

DannyBFresco King Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    NorCal (Martinez) & LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport SWB
    Baja Kits +2 LT, Kings, 35" Falken AT3s, SUA
    Bobby18[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in